2023-24 NHL Season Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NHL Season Thread

I mean they have Cody Cece. Leafs and senators reject

They're paying Nurse $10.4 million, so they're pretty much forced to sign players like Ceci. Sure, Ceci's no Nicklas Lidstrom - or even a Chris Tanev - but he doesn't throw games away like Nurse. Living where I do I get virtually all the Oiler (and Flames) games. And he's honestly been playing better than he did in either of those two hockey wastelands. :)

Did Bettman declare Embellishment as a point of emphasis during the playoffs? Seems to be alot of calls for it.

I agree with the concept, but not sure how I feel about it when it is called in response to an actual penalty that was also called. Maybe if it was just a 1-minute penalty instead of an offsetting foul.

Did Bettman declare Embellishment as a point of emphasis during the playoffs? Seems to be alot of calls for it.

I agree with the concept, but not sure how I feel about it when it is called in response to an actual penalty that was also called. Maybe if it was just a 1-minute penalty instead of an offsetting foul.
I could probably count on one hand (with fingers left to spare) the number of times I’ve ever seen embellishment called where I agreed with it. I’ve seen diving called much more often where it was a good call.

I’m not sure it’s a point of emphasis, but has seemed to get called a lot this year. I suspect that’s because I generally think it’s such an egregiously bad call I remember those while the “normal” penalties are less memorable and just blur together in my memory.

I’ll be interested to hear The Hockey Guy’s take on the Panthers- Bruins game and series after that’s game 2. Even though he’s a Bruins fan, he was predicting Florida to win the series - Boston needs to play much better in game 4 to get back in this.

I could probably count on one hand (with fingers left to spare) the number of times I’ve ever seen embellishment called where I agreed with it. I’ve seen diving called much more often where it was a good call.

I’m not sure it’s a point of emphasis, but has seemed to get called a lot this year. I suspect that’s because I generally think it’s such an egregiously bad call I remember those while the “normal” penalties are less memorable and just blur together in my memory.

Could be. Of course you know the NHL throws the rule book out for the playoffs and invents a new one night after night.

They're paying Nurse $10.4 million, so they're pretty much forced to sign players like Ceci. Sure, Ceci's no Nicklas Lidstrom - or even a Chris Tanev - but he doesn't throw games away like Nurse. Living where I do I get virtually all the Oiler (and Flames) games. And he's honestly been playing better than he did in either of those two hockey wastelands. :)

It's "only" a $9.25m cap hit for Nurse. Absolutely terrible, and still the worst contract for a D in the league, but not quite in the double digits.

Ceci is OK at $3.25 million. He has slotted in quite at #5/#6 at Pittsburgh and Edmonton, with the capability to sometimes play on the second pair decently. Not a great contract, not a bad one - but you generally get what you pay for with him. NHL teams probably hope to get a competent player in his first 4 years at that slot to pay a bit less and save $1m+ in cap hit, but its not always possible. We have seen many a July 1 free agent veteran D, get the Ceci type contract and perform far worse afterwards.

Best news I've heard in a while ...

Brad Marchand will not play in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Second Round against the Florida Panthers at TD Garden in Boston on Sunday (6:30 p.m. ET; MAX, truTV, TBS, SN, TVAS) because of an upper-body injury.

The Bruins captain took a hit from Panthers forward Sam Bennett at 3:38 of the first period in a 6-2 loss in Game 3 on Friday and was slow to get back to the bench. He played the rest of the first and second period but did not return for the third.

~NHL.com

Best news I've heard in a while ...

Brad Marchand will not play in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Second Round against the Florida Panthers at TD Garden in Boston on Sunday (6:30 p.m. ET; MAX, truTV, TBS, SN, TVAS) because of an upper-body injury.

The Bruins captain took a hit from Panthers forward Sam Bennett at 3:38 of the first period in a 6-2 loss in Game 3 on Friday and was slow to get back to the bench. He played the rest of the first and second period but did not return for the third.

~NHL.com

I generally try to not take joy in injuries to players I don’t like - but Marchand is an exception. I don’t really care what the reason is, anything that keeps that cheap shot artist and overall greaseball off the ice is a positive for the sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom