2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

It is unfortunate the game was rained out yesterday. The Cards had Sonny Gray pitching and he has been great, but they are really struggling right now and the Mets seemed on top of things offensively. It is especially bad for Pete Alonso, who had a double and a homer on Wednesday and looked on the cusp of starting a hot streak.

I don't know what the analytic numbers say but to my eye, Pete is a really streaky player. He tends to get white hot for a month where he hits lots of homers, gets lots of hits and walks and drives in a ton of runs.

Then he goes cold for a few weeks, then gets hot again. He is just not consistent and if anything, it seems like he is less consistent as he ages.

That is a concern for me thinking about locking him up with a long term contract. When you have a guy in the middle of your lineup who goes ice cold for weeks or longer multiple times a year, it makes a big impact on the offense. You want your key hitters to be players you can count on.

Hopefully he figures things out late, the pressure he has to produce on a contract year focuses him and he plays well from this point forward. It would be nice to have a player come up with the Mets, win rookie of the year, then have a distinguished long career with the Mets, retire still on the team and then get elected to the Hall of Fame.

It has never happened and in this day and age, it might never happen (too bad what happened with David Wright). This might be our best shot.

I really hope it works out for Pete and the Mets long term. He seems like a genuine good guy and I love his support for the first responders and his love for the Mets.

I really hope it works out for Pete and the Mets long term. He seems like a genuine good guy and I love his support for the first responders and his love for the Mets.

I’d love to see it work out…I just think there’s very little chance it will. With Boras as his agent always pushing for top dollar, it’s doubtful he’d be willing and able to give the Mets the “hometown discount” that is going to be needed to resign him. And as much as Pete is a fan favorite - on any articles like this the comments are trending towards “I love Pete, but if we need to overpay to keep him - let him walk”.

It is unfortunate the game was rained out yesterday. The Cards had Sonny Gray pitching and he has been great, but they are really struggling right now and the Mets seemed on top of things offensively. It is especially bad for Pete Alonso, who had a double and a homer on Wednesday and looked on the cusp of starting a hot streak.

I don't know what the analytic numbers say but to my eye, Pete is a really streaky player. He tends to get white hot for a month where he hits lots of homers, gets lots of hits and walks and drives in a ton of runs.

Then he goes cold for a few weeks, then gets hot again. He is just not consistent and if anything, it seems like he is less consistent as he ages.

That is a concern for me thinking about locking him up with a long term contract. When you have a guy in the middle of your lineup who goes ice cold for weeks or longer multiple times a year, it makes a big impact on the offense. You want your key hitters to be players you can count on.

Hopefully he figures things out late, the pressure he has to produce on a contract year focuses him and he plays well from this point forward. It would be nice to have a player come up with the Mets, win rookie of the year, then have a distinguished long career with the Mets, retire still on the team and then get elected to the Hall of Fame.

It has never happened and in this day and age, it might never happen (too bad what happened with David Wright). This might be our best shot.

The Met's career stat records are much lower than they should be in every category because their stars tend to burn out or get traded. We should have had a 500 home runs guy, a 300 game winner, etc. a long time ago.

Huge HR by Nimmo, who must be healthy. Great games vs. the Braves but we needed to win one.

They said that the Mets lead the NL in walk-off wins and are tied with the Yankees with 11 wins in which the other team scored first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom