Boxing | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

The "not possible" fight just become not possible again - for a while:

Uggh! That was THE one I was looking forward to most.

On a different note, Ryan Garcia tested positive for 2 banned substances. Not that I’m positive it had anything to do with those specifically, but in my boxing group chat w friends, I said before and after the fight that he seemed like he was on something.

Uggh! That was THE one I was looking forward to most.

On a different note, Ryan Garcia tested positive for 2 banned substances. Not that I’m positive it had anything to do with those specifically, but in my boxing group chat w friends, I said before and after the fight that he seemed like he was on something.

A ruptured meniscus sounds pretty serious for a boxer, (or any athlete), He's the slugger who would have to deal with the more mobile Bivol. He wouldn't want to have less mobility than he usually has. This could take quite a while. Meanwhile, they can go back to haggling and allow somebody to come in upset one of them so the fight will lose interest before it ever comes off. :(

Munguia gave a very good account of himself in losing a 12 round decision to Canelo-Alvarez. He was the busier fighter, throwing 663 punches to 536. I thought he'd landed more as well but some of those may have been blocked. Punch count had Alvarez landing 234 to 170. Munguia tried to win with his jab as Bivol did, throwing 335-232 but they credited Canelo with landing more, 83-74 which seems amazing to me. Jaime threw 328 power shots to 304 but Canelo landed far more, 151-96.

Manguia got off to a good start, throwing his jabs and combination while the frequently slow-starting Canelo backed up. Munguia seemed the bigger, stronger man. He easily won the first two rounds. The third round was more even as Canelo got more active and started to turn the tide. But Jaime 'stole' the round, Sugar Ray Leonard-style, with a flurry at the end. The fact that he felt the need to do that indicated that the fight was turning.

In the four, Canelo caught him with an uppercut and Munguia went down for the only knockdown of the fight. Jaime recovered fairly quickly but seemed more cautious for the rest of the round. Then he got back to business. The rest of the fight was the classic situation where one guy is strowing more punches but the other guys' punches have the greater impact. Canelo staggered Jaime 2-3 times but failed to get him off his feet again. Jaime never put a dent in Canelo. In the end, that decided the fight.

I had it 116-113 for Canelo , 6-4-2, with the knockdown. The judges had 117-110, 116-111, 115-112.

Canelo will continue to look for fights he can make money off of. They were talking about the other Charlo brother and, believe it or not, Edward Berlanga. Benavidez is moving up to 175. There was talk about Crawford- Alvarez. That would draw a crowd. Munguia proved he's a legit contender and opponent for the top fighters.

I watched it on You-Tube, (just the first 15 minutes: the rest just repeats):

The 'Monster' zigged when he should have zagged in the first round, got on his horse to survive the round, took over in the second round and put on a show the rest of the way, showing not just great power but great boxing ability to close it out. I still like Max Kellerman idea of pitting Inouye against Lomachenko at catchweights.

Last edited:
I watched it on You-Tube, (just the first 15 minutes: the rest just repeats):

The 'Monster' zigged when he should have zagged in the first round, got on his horse to survive the round, took over in the second round and put on a show the rest of the way, showing not just great power but great boxing ability to close it out. I still like Max Kellerman idea of pitting Inouye against Lomachenko at catchweights.

Let's try that again:

Just saw Lomachenko beat up Kambosos. He picked him part for 10 rounds, Loma's face being unmarks while George's was a bloody mess. Then Loma ended it in 11th with a liver shot, (so many fights in recent years have ended on body shots. Kambosos is a tough, game fighter but he was overmatched and needs another line of work. The last punch count they showed was 147-28. One round it was 21-1! The announcer said Lomachenko plays chess. The other guys are playing checkers.

Tank Davis posted that he wants Loma after his current fight with Frank Martin, (the basketball coach?). Loma may face the winner of next week's fight between Emanuel Navarrete and Denys Berinchyk in the meantime. Meanwhile Shakur Stevenson looms over all of them.

Last edited:
Just saw Lomachenko beat up Kambosos. He picked him part for 10 rounds, Loma's face being unmarks while George's was a bloody mess. Then Loma ended it in 11th with a liver shot, (so many fights in recent years have ended on body shots. Kambosos is a tough, game fighter but he was overmatched and needs another line of work. The last punch count they showed was 147-28. One round it was 21-1! Tank Davis posted that he wants Loma after his current fight with Frank Martin, (the basketball coach?). Loma may face the winner of next week's fight between Emanuel Navarrete and Denys Berinchyk in the meantime. Meanwhile Shakur Stevenson looms over all of them.
Wow missed this one (was watching the Avs). Very interesting Loma dominated like that. A matchup with Tank would be a big draw to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom