Class of 2020 - C Noah Waterman (NY) Portal to Louisville | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Noah Waterman (NY) Portal to Louisville

Is this the player version of the coach Mullen thread? What is happened here? This went from a random portal update to:

sam elliott GIF

right now there are 3 forwards and 2 centers - its code red for another 4/5, imo
Not disagreeing that he could be good for us, just reacting to all the divvying up of minutes upthread, where he’s getting 25 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, when I thought we were selling Davis on much of that time, ostensibly at 4 and 3.

Not disagreeing that he could be good for us, just reacting to all the divvying up of minutes upthread, where he’s getting 25 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, when I thought we were selling Davis on much of that time, ostensibly at 4 and 3.
Given Lampkin’s antics, even if he comes back Red is better off getting a good 4/small 5 instead of a 3rd string 5 who isn’t good or ready. Need to plan for it to be McLeod and another portal handling the 5. I’d take Patterson back but he wouldn’t cut it if that happened. A guy who can shoot and play forward is the best option IMO. Davis will compete for minutes too.

Ideally I think Lampkin plays 25 and this guy could get 15 at center and maybe 5 at PF. Davis gets 5 at PF and 10-15 behind Bell. I don’t think McLeod is playable at all based on his injury and what we saw last year. It would be arguable who the better player is between Lampkin and Waterman. They play completely different styles, but their metrics are similar and Waterman probably guards better in space.

All of this would mean Chance is a guard only behind Starling and Carlos. I think we would have been fine with this kid and Boakye from Fresno State. I think together they are better than Lampkin alone.

Really great video here on Waterman and his story. He grew up in poverty in a family of 9 after his father left them at a young age. Seems like a great kid and I'll root for him wherever he goes after watching this. I would assume NIL is going to play a big factor in his recruitment and I cant blame him for chasing the biggest offer to provide for his family after what hes been through. I think if we can be competitive on that front we'd have a great shot here given how family oriented he seems.
Holy damn. That’s a story. This kid will be my favorite college player next year no matter where he goes. If there were a spot for him in Orange, good lawd—mom and the rest of the fam in the Dome with 30k screaming…. Gadzooks. Automatic fan favorite.

Examining box scores of Cuse players from this past season that played similar minutes as this kid (~24 mpg), show similar trends when it comes to scoring. Waterman scored in double digits 15 times last season. For reference Bell did it 18 times, Brown 17, Cope 15, and Taylor 8.
dig deeper

last 10 games of the year - when everyone plays their hardest - he only hit double digits once.

7 of those 15 double digit games were against quad 3 or 4 teams...

and he scored 0 or 3 points 9 times...

against ranked teams - in 8 games: 0, 0, 18, 17, 9, 9, 3, 8...averaged 8/gm but only got to double digits twice

and had only 3 in the 1 NCAA tourney game for byu

dont wanna sound too critical bc I think he would be perfect for the team...im just saying he seems very boom or bust for whatever reason...just pointing that out

as far as last year's players - several of them were asked not to come back...and they all were very inconsistent offensively

so im not sure whats your point?

idk...I think Waterman is a great fit...just saying hopefully the coaches would know how to get the most of him (if he indeed would be interested and join etc) and understand how to scheme him from having those goose egg games he seems to have often...

He does not play with his back to the basket so he is not a 5. More of a big 4.

This is the kind of player I have been begging for.
If we can keep Lampkin, this makes our front court look much better.
This was a missing piece for matchups.

Also had a 17 point game against Texas and 24 vs ASU. Watching some of his highlights from the ASU game showed him guarding smaller players and also pushing the ball up in transition (at least on a couple plays). If he can truly guard another teams 3 (SF), Cuse could play him along Freeman and Lampkin (assuming he is on the team) a few minutes here and there. This would help get him 25mpg and might be a stronger selling point.

Geez, what a game he had!

Ideally I think Lampkin plays 25 and this guy could get 15 at center and maybe 5 at PF. Davis gets 5 at PF and 10-15 behind Bell. I don’t think McLeod is playable at all based on his injury and what we saw last year. It would be arguable who the better player is between Lampkin and Waterman. They play completely different styles, but their metrics are similar and Waterman probably guards better in space.

All of this would mean Chance is a guard only behind Starling and Carlos. I think we would have been fine with this kid and Boakye from Fresno State. I think together they are better than Lampkin alone.

Over the course of a whole season, Chance would see some time at SF, too, if he's healthy.
I think if we look at these guys as 20-25 minute contributors rather than 25-30, we'll see enough room for everyone to get some run. Then you go with the best / hottest player.

McCloud was decent before injury and very good in certain matchups (against SU 2 years ago). Cuffe and Moore are both guards.

Over the course of a whole season, Chance would see some time at SF, too, if he's healthy.
I think if we look at these guys as 20-25 minute contributors rather than 25-30, we'll see enough room for everyone to get some run. Then you go with the best / hottest player.
20 to 30 minutes of playing hard per player, on both sides of the ball, would be in line with Red's vision as I understand it.

This would be a home run. 6’11 stretch 4 that adds length and shoots 37% from 3. Can give you minutes at the 5. Perfect backup to freeman and Lampkin.

Problem is, are the minutes there for a 24 year old senior on his last go round? Maybe 20-25 minutes isn’t enough and he wants to start and get a majority of the minutes. If that’s the case, doesn’t seem like this will work out as Freeman will get at least 30 and Lampkin will get around 25-30. Love the thought of adding this kid. Also have to wonder if Lampkin new deal will take away some of the available funds for him. Still really need a PG.

dig deeper

last 10 games of the year - when everyone plays their hardest - he only hit double digits once.

against ranked teams - in 8 games: 0, 0, 18, 17, 9, 9, 3, 8...averaged 8/gm but only got to double digits twice

dont wanna sound too critical bc I think he would be perfect for the team...im just saying he seems very boom or bust for whatever reason...just pointing that out

as far as last year's players - several of them were asked not to come back...and they all were very inconsistent offensively

idk...I think Waterman is a great fit...just saying hopefully the coaches would know how to get the most of him (if he indeed would be interested and join etc) and understand how to scheme him from having those goose egg games he seems to have often...
All fair points. I wouldn’t expect him to be a superstar or some type of savior, but think he could help next years team.

My point is his up and down scoring performances are like many other non star college players. As I am not a fan of BYU and didn’t watch many of their games I don’t know exactly what contributed to his low scoring output in certain games. Did they not run plays for him (several games only got 1-3 shot attempts)? Does he simply check out from game to game? Did teams scheme to limit his touches (doubt this was the case)?

Digging a little deeper into the final 10 games you referenced……7 of those games were against teams ranked in the top 50-75 defensive efficiency rankings in the country (including the #1 and #2 defensive teams).

I’m in agreement he could be a great fit and I hope Cuse pursues him.

dig deeper

Not a star, just a very good piece. If you have 8 guys who can all actually contribute, but none of them have to carry the load, that's much harder to defend.

Not a star, just a very good piece. If you have 8 guys who can all actually contribute, but none of them have to carry the load, that's much harder to defend.
Exactly this. Allows for a lot of combinations too. Between Lampkin, McL, Freeman, Jyair and this guy, we have a ton of different looks we could put out there depending on the defense.

i think westry will be the starting PG ths year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom