I'm Delighted with Red's Portal | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I'm Delighted with Red's Portal

Devo is not in the same stratosphere as those two. They both defended. Devo couldn’t guard a chair. I believe Hughes was first team all ACC. Devo got asked not to come back his senior year.
You're "got asked not to come back" as a reason holds zero weight, if you think he wasn't asked to come back due to performance then I really don't know to tell you. Eric had some dudes around him his three years and was still the dude you wanted to have the ball.

You're "got asked not to come back" as a reason holds zero weight, if you think he wasn't asked to come back due to performance then I really don't know to tell you. Eric had some dudes around him his three years and was still the dude you wanted to have the ball.

Eric was on double secret probation with the university, and there was risk that he might not make it through another year, just based on people looking to give him trouble. He was vulnerable to it. It made sense to move on, just to avoid the risk of losing one of your best players due to an uncontrollable 3rd party action that could happen at any time.

A little overstated, I think. Devo had times in big games when he wasn't just "woofing" at his opposite number, he actually applied himself defensively to help get into the other guy's head, "I'm gonna shut you down" as much as "you can't guard me". Devo knew you had to do both in big games. And he was certainly a big game player. You can't argue that.
I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player, but don’t compare him to Hughes and Battle. Swider and Buddy are playing in the NBA. Devo never got a sniff.

Eric was on double secret probation with the university, and there was risk that he might not make it through another year, just based on people looking to give him trouble. He was vulnerable to it. It made sense to move on, just to avoid the risk of losing one of your best players due to an uncontrollable 3rd party action that could happen at any time.
He also couldn’t pass a drug test. One of the reasons we got hit with probation.

I’m not delighted in the slightest. We will be a mediocre team once again and this will continue as we continue to miss out on big time portals. Losing leffew, not getting Mack, losing out on Reynolds since he stayed, and KR.

I don’t like mediocrity and we aren’t doing much to get better. It’ll show in fan support and in our record once again…

I’m not delighted in the slightest. We will be a mediocre team once again and this will continue as we continue to miss out on big time portals. Losing leffew, not getting Mack, losing out on Reynolds since he stayed, and KR.

I don’t like mediocrity and we aren’t doing much to get better. It’ll show in fan support and in our record once again…

I think they are trying hard to add a couple more guys. Give them a chance to finalize the roster.

Right now, they look too thin up front. I agree, this isn't a great team right now. But I think they are only a couple good pieces away.

The future of the program may be riding on Donnie Freeman. It’s not a great situation to be placing your hopes on a true freshman. However, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle to jumpstart the mojo of the program again because that’s what I feel we need. Those who’ve identified the program as being stale are correct.

It’s not necessarily Red’s doing. He could probably be a good coach but needs better players. He did a nice job this year.

I was worried about recruiting in the portal to what is now viewed as a mediocre program by most independent onlookers. And, so far, objectively we’re not a top tier landing spot.

Red did land Freeman (and maybe Moore will turn out to be the star, who knows), so the future kind of rests on that. All it takes is a spark and we could be back in business.

The team as it’s now constructed doesn’t appear to be more than a decent team. We at Syracuse want to be more than decent. We want to compete for conference championships and a shot at the grand prize. BUT, if we’re lucky, Freeman (and perhaps Moore) are the wildcards that flip in our favor. That’s really the best hope for next year and perhaps beyond if we want a revival.

“as it’s now constructed”. Come on really, again. I get people come here to vent, but over and over again. Please go back and take a look at the teams that did the best on paper in the portal last year and that’s when the dust was all settled not in May. Most of them didn’t make the tourney.

Besides NCStates miracle Final 4 run nothing played out based on what the transfer portal rankings or stats said they would.

The truth is that we have not lost a single player to the portal that has either got us into the tourney or even won a ACC tournament game. Brown was the biggest punch to the stomach but just a series of bad scenarios that left him with a bigger opportunity for his career than we could.

Right now Autry and Staff are still replacing the broken pieces from last year with upgraded new pieces. Just because they’re not the shiny most expensive pieces you read about on espn doesn’t mean they won’t be better when it really matters next year.

I really can’t believe people think Battle was better than Devo. Devo was better shooter from 2 and 3, had double the assists per game. Same amount of rebounds. And scored just below what Tyus did, but with more around him.

Devo was a stud on offense and although his defense may not have been as good. He still averaged same amount of steals as tyus.

I really don’t remember how poorly his defense was, but by memory his offensive skill level was much better than tyus.

I really can’t believe people think Battle was better than Devo. Devo was better shooter from 2 and 3, had double the assists per game. Same amount of rebounds. And scored just below what Tyus did, but with more around him.

Devo was a stud on offense and although his defense may not have been as good. He still averaged same amount of steals as tyus.

I really don’t remember how poorly his defense was, but by memory his offensive skill level was much better than tyus.
Devendorf was never even the go to guy on his teams. GMac. Nichols. Flynn. He was always number 2. A good one, but still…

Devendorf was never even the go to guy on his teams. GMac. Nichols. Flynn. He was always number 2. A good one, but still…
A lot harder to put up those numbers as a #2 than the main guy. I love Battle, but you put Devo on those teams instead of Battle and hes scoring 25 a game.

So you’re penalizing him because he had better players around him?

Tyus shot more his sophomore and Junior year than Devo did in any year he was at Syracuse. He attempted 2 more shots per game and 4 more shots per game than Debo did. And yet he barely outscored Devo. Devo averaged 12.2 as a freshman, 14.8 as a sophomore, 17 as a junior before tearing his ACL, and 15.7 after coming back from ACL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom