I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I’m only up to episode two—already disturbed. It’s going to take me a while to go through it all. I’m surprised it’s so popular, aside from Netflix pushing it to everyone. It’s tough to watch at times.
You haven’t gotten to the toughest episode yet, but that’s when it gets good. It starts to become about more than just a crazy stalker lady.

The Lazarus Project — Just discovered this. I’m only into episode 4 of season 1, but it’s interesting enough and nicely-made.

The Veil — Moss is good. She was my favorite part of Mad Men. This is kind of a Homeland thing, so far.

Dark Matter — One episode in. Interesting enough to continue.

Franklin — Huge production, just in sets and costuming. Wasn’t sure if I’d buy Douglas as Franklin, but the sum of the show makes it okay even if he doesn’t really seem to be acting or ‘inhabiting the role.’ Then again, who the heck knows how Ben sounded or behaved? Really cool to have Ludivine Sagnier in it. I had a bit of a crush on her when she was much younger, in Swimming Pool.

I seem to be watching a LOT of period and historical stuff over the last five-ish years. Which is weird to me. When I was younger, I had ZERO interest in history. Avoided history classes when possible. Now, I find so much of it really interesting. I am not sure if the difference is just me aging and seeing the difference in the elegance and formality of past culture vs the vulgarity of the present, or if it’s just simpler in that I’m a visual person and ‘learning’ through highly produced cinematic stuff is just what hits me, vs books and lectures. Prolly both.

Sugar — A weird show. I love Amy Ryan. The show takes a weird and bizarre twist that I don’t really like, but let’s see what they do with it. I also don’t like the strange narrations that remind me of the corny Johnny Depp car commercials. Or vintage cinema inserts….

The Sympathizer — Not really subject matter that I bond with, and the language is one I really don’t like, but I thought it would be fun to see Downey Juniors in a bunch of roles/costumes. It’s okay.

The Jinx Part 2 — True crime stuff fascinates me. This story is still interesting to me. Durst is just something else.

The Innocence Project — Again, more true crime stuff. This one, though, elicited quite a few tears. If I had significant money to give away, a lot would go to some of these victims of injustice and corruption who aren’t being compensated.

Fallout — it’s okay. Again, nicely made. I am not familiar with the video game other than the very basic gist of it so I don’t really know where it’s going except for the one very obvious plot scheme. Goggins is good. Other than that, I don’t love the casting of two of the other major roles. They aren’t bad—they just don’t do anything for me.

Bodkin — just starting this, but already I don’t quite understand how it got greenlit. I’m even more surprised that the Obamas are involved. And I have the same reaction to the idea of podcasts as they joke about in the pilot.

Phew. All that, plus the NBA playoffs (amazing) and every Red Sox game…. The screen is really all I have.

A Man In Full / Netflix

Watched a couple of episodes and remarked to myself that it had the same kind of racial themes and treatment I’d expect in a Tom Wolfe novel. Then I found out it’s based on a Tom Wolfe novel. And then I realized I had read that novel.

Which is why I don’t read anymore. I just don’t remember stuff anymore.

Anyway, it’s an interesting series. Jeff Dumb (or was he Dumber?) does a broad southern real estate mogul. Some good lines, both from- and at him.

——-

Has anyone watched Derry Girls? Lots of fun. Turn on the closed captioning, though. The Irish slang is fast and furious.