Women's Lacrosse - SU 8 vs Boston College 15: Sun Apr 28, 12 PM [ACC Finals] | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 8 vs Boston College 15: Sun Apr 28, 12 PM [ACC Finals]

No takers?

In the first half we were sending two cutters to the crease. If BC slid to the 1st one, the 2nd one was open for a good look.

In the 2nd half, BC took away the 2nd cutter and clogged up the middle. We didn't get too many clean shots, and missed the ones we did get. When we tried to force the ball into traffic, it was a turnover waiting to happen.

In the first half we were sending two cutters to the crease. If BC slid to the 1st one, the 2nd one was open for good look.

In the 2nd half, BC took away the 2nd cutter and clogged up the middle. We didn't get too many clean shots, and missed the ones we did get. When we tried to force the ball into traffic, it was a turnover waiting to happen.
Well, that tells you what they need to work on.

In the first half we were sending two cutters to the crease. If BC slid to the 1st one, the 2nd one was open for a good look.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

He thinks it's "all mental". But is it all mental with the players or with the coaches?

I follow the girls and i watched the previous loss to BC and at end of game their girls were positive and amped up even when they were down one. we seemed to just wait too lose. I really think BC is in our head now and even if we r better team,we wont show it. Honestly i think our chance to win National Championship is too hope they lose before playing us. I know we can beat everyone else. Lets f go girls.

I follow the girls and i watched the previous loss to BC and at end of game their girls were positive and amped up even when they were down one. we seemed to just wait too lose. I really think BC is in our head now and even if we r better team,we wont show it. Honestly i think our chance to win National Championship is too hope they lose before playing us. I know we can beat everyone else. Lets f go girls.
I worried about that too. They seem to tighten up late against BC. Definitely at least a bit mental at this point.

Last edited:
I worried about that too. They same to tighten up late against BC. Definitely at least a bit mental at this point.
Yeah i dont know the fix for it either. Either we need different captains or different game approach mentally. Its not one or two girls either. They all waited for something bad to happen instead of digging down and making something happen.

BC definitely has gotten the best of Syracuse for the last 3 years but they are far from unbeatable. When is the last time BC beat Northwestern? Their record of getting to the championship is amazing with 6 straight appearances but they are 1-5 in those games with their only win coming over a Syracuse team that was plagued with injuries and lost Emma Tyrell to yellow cards and that was with a generational talent like Charlotte North. If being THE best is the only measure of success then I could poke holes in every coaching staff in the country. Syracuse has all the pieces to win it all their story is still being written an ACC championship would have been nice but the real prize is still out there

I’m not buying the argument that BC has more talent than us. More 5 stars? Yes. We can keep telling ourselves that to make the constant losses against BC feel better, but we still have talent that matches up well, and/or even accedes BC. However, every time we play them, they don’t show up/get the job done.

BC just lost to UVA in OT a couple weeks ago. We just dismantled that same UVA team 19-4, only to almost have a running clock put on us in the championship game against BC. This team showed up for the first quarter and then clocked out. They did the same thing last year in the ACCT against UNC. It’s a mental thing, mixed with bad leadership from veteran players, and not reacting well to the adjustments made by BC. Hopefully they get it together, but idk. This team is their own worst enemy. It’s been this way for over a decade.

I’m not buying the argument that BC has more talent than us. More 5 stars? Yes. We can keep telling ourselves that to make the constant losses against BC feel better, but we still have talent that matches up well, and/or even accedes BC. However, every time we play them, they don’t show up/get the job done.

BC just lost to UVA in OT a couple weeks ago. We just dismantled that same UVA team 19-4, only to almost have a running clock put on us in the championship game against BC. This team showed up for the first quarter and then clocked out. They did the same thing last year in the ACCT against UNC. It’s a mental thing, mixed with bad leadership from veteran players, and not reacting well to the adjustments made by BC. Hopefully they get it together, but idk. This team is their own worst enemy. It’s been this way for over a decade.
Sure, sports psychology can be very helpful, witness our goalie. But, practicing an offense all week and then not playing it is not a matter of psychology. Treanor should have called a time out and kicked a$$.

You make valid points and I can completely understand your point of view. The factor that can’t be left out nor can it be measured or predicted is the human factor. These are young women playing in high stress environments how they respond to the conditions has and will vary immensely which is why you have days like last Friday where they looked unbeatable until the second half of Sunday’s game. Syracuse is not the only team that has this happen look at BC in the final four last year beat Syracuse in the FF4 by a goal then gets blown off the field Sunday in the finals by Northwestern

You make valid points and I can completely understand your point of view. The factor that can’t be left out nor can it be measured or predicted is the human factor. These are young women playing in high stress environments how they respond to the conditions has and will vary immensely which is why you have days like last Friday where they looked unbeatable until the second half of Sunday’s game. Syracuse is not the only team that has this happen look at BC in the final four last year beat Syracuse in the FF4 by a goal then gets blown off the field Sunday in the finals by Northwestern
A few late thoughts. The team's offense is blessed with extremely gifted and talented players who excel in isolation. Unfortunately, it all too often leads to poor clock management with negative results. When one can't free up there's a pass to another, then another, and another, all basically looking to do the same thing. BC's defense is relentless and determined (and more than happy) to keep things moving around the perimeter.

BC's has a couple of excellent dodgers, but the O is built around constantly looking for cutters and finding them. They're great at it and and they are going to score goals. Add that defense and if you're going to beat them you have to score with them.

Coach Simmons Sr always preached, "Don't hang on the ball too long and look for the open man."
Could work. Oh, and win ground balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom