“That was an awful call by me, an awful call” | Syracusefan.com

“That was an awful call by me, an awful call”

SWC75

Bored Historian
That's what Doug Marrone said aobut the two passes from the 2 yard line before we called in the "tank" formation for one play. He added “I was looking to score fast”. I guess Adonis Ameen Moore is a bit slow.

W hat interests me is that Doug is saying that he called those plays and now regrets "and awful call". But I wonder: is it possible that Hackett made those decisions and Marrone is agian "falling on his sword"? Is it possbile that the title of this post is what he said to Hackjett, minus the "by me"?

Is it possible that Hackett made totally different calls, and Marrone overruled him?

Either way, Marrone is right. Awful calls from the 2 there. We need to score and should have rammed it in 4 tries if necessary. Other than that, I was ok with the play calling.

Either way, Marrone is right. Awful calls from the 2 there. We need to score and should have rammed it in 4 tries if necessary. Other than that, I was ok with the play calling.

agree 100%. We have called some hideous plays on the doorstep this year. I think the playcalling has been fine aside from this.

I could see going for it once if you wanted to score quickly. After the first attempt failed the Tank package should have come out.

This is what I don't get...we have coaches that burn the 18 hour day / 6 day a week thing, and it took until game 5 in the schedule to put in a short yardage package that made sense, a package that could've won them a game or two before.

What the heck are they doing in that time? Doesn't someone say, hey, what's a good 2 yard plan, and that giant kid outta CO who can run it?

It's possible some of these calls are on Nassib. I haven't re-watched to see but he might have checked out of the primary option one or more times.

I could see going for it once if you wanted to score quickly. After the first attempt failed the Tank package should have come out.

Why do we need to score quickly with 8:16 left?

It's possible some of these calls are on Nassib. I haven't re-watched to see but he might have checked out of the primary option one or more times.

The jumbo formation wasn't on the field to check out of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My suspicion is that most afternoons are spent watching price is right reruns or i love the 80s. Thats how they fill their time.

He said the 3rd down call was an awful call. Not all of the calls in that series. Also don't you think every coordinator has bad calls in each game?

Actually, you're right. The context of the two comments are not the same:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...se_rutgers_big_east_football_orange_loss.html
The "score quickly" comment was about the two passes. The "awful call" was about sending in Moore.

The question is: why does he think passing on first and second down form the 2 was a good call when we'd had such success with the tank package and why he thought the tank apckage was an awful call. And who really made those calls?

Actually, you're right. The context of the two comments are not the same:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...se_rutgers_big_east_football_orange_loss.html
The "score quickly" comment was about the two passes. The "awful call" was about sending in Moore.

The question is: why does he think passing on first and second down form the 2 was a good call when we'd had such success with the tank package and why he thought the tank apckage was an awful call. And who really made those calls?
I don't get it either. However, I don't care so much about the tank package as I do about just keeping the ball on the ground. With the ball at the 2 and at least 3 attempts to run it and a team whose had a penchant for mistakes, let's play it safe and ram it up the middle a few times... at least to avoid an interception or a running play that loses yards. The way Smith was running, I don't see how he could not make the 2 yards in 3 tries. I am getting to the point where I can't enjoy a good drive now..feeling the impending doom of potential screw-ups. We had good drives v. Rutgers...and then ... oops.

I was surprised the tank wasn't used but the funny thing is if it were and SU still didn't score I wonder how many people would be saying why didn't they stay with what got them to the 2? Using it on 3rd down was like having a 3rd grader make the play call...it was a foolish at that point and let's not forget the Lemon drop either. We still should have scored on 4th down even after all that hullabaloo.

When it works, it's a good call.

When it doesn't work it's a bad call.

It's been that way for as long as I can recall.

This is what I don't get...we have coaches that burn the 18 hour day / 6 day a week thing, and it took until game 5 in the schedule to put in a short yardage package that made sense, a package that could've won them a game or two before.

What the heck are they doing in that time? Doesn't someone say, hey, what's a good 2 yard plan, and that giant kid outta CO who can run it?
Last year I was getting reports from inside the practices that Adonis could not be stopped. This person thought SU was going to be using him in short yardage packages. That never happened. Rutgers makes one stop on the Tank Package and the staff abandoned it for three out of four plays in that drive that started on the two after the interference call.:crazy:

I thought they definitely should have come out with the tank on 1st down and 2nd down. The big problem I have, is that you can't come out throwing on 1st and 2nd and then go to the tank on 3rd. The 1st down play was horrible. Nassib has absolutely no touch on his passes so the pass to Sales had no chance of succeeding. His lack of touch is one reason we struggle so much inside the 10 yard line, imo. The quick slant on 2nd down got blown up by a nice jam by the RU DB and Nassib apparently had no other options to throw to? 4th down, Lemon has to make that catch. He just has to, plain and simple.

Where the he!! was Broyld Saturday? He would have been a nice replacement for PTG, especially in this series.

I'm getting tired of DM not putting players in positions to succeed.

Is PTG the only back that can kind of catch Ryans 100 mph passes from 5 yards away?

Rutgers makes one stop on the Tank Package and the staff abandoned it for three out of four plays in that drive that started on the two after the interference call.:crazy:

And people claim Doug doesn't hold anyone accountable!

Last year I was getting reports from inside the practices that Adonis could not be stopped. This person thought SU was going to be using him in short yardage packages. That never happened. Rutgers makes one stop on the Tank Package and the staff abandoned it for three out of four plays in that drive that started on the two after the interference call.:crazy:
And that one stop was by a cb coming in off the edge untouched. Don't know whose responsibility that was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom