1 coach 2 probations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

1 coach 2 probations

disagree - he was given a second chance after the first NCAA probation because of his hard work and results. Strike 2 and he should step aside after the season.
steeeeerike 2! You're out! Everyone knows that. Did you play minor league baseball perchance?

I hold no illusions that college basketball is clean, especially at the most prestigious programs.

Players cheat academically. This happens everywhere, at every level of athletics. The depth of the cheating and the knowledge of administrators and coaches varies but, nonetheless, every program experiences this. A majority of college athletes do drugs, as well, and don't get punished. Again, the number of players who get caught and punished varies from program to program, but it happens. If every program had a strict drug testing policy that was adhered to, we would honestly hear about multiple suspensions across the country every day.

These are common things that are very simply matters of getting caught. Syracuse may or may not have gotten caught. That's it. I'm not going to crucify Boeheim for silly crap like this. I'll ask for his head if it comes out that he was paying players or knew of them getting significant impermissible benefits and did nothing. Until then, Boeheim has done great things with this program and nothing will take away the memories if the worst does happen.

It's not worth speculating as to how this thing plays out, but the implication some are untouchable is troubling.
Nice try, Poppy, oh voice of reason

if things play out like we fear it will, it must be Jimmy's last year right? How can SU justify his handling of the program in regards to the NCAA? We all love coach but What. He's gonna be 70 this year and Hopkins is dying on the vine waiting for him to step aside. Is there any coach at one school whose had multiple probations and still stayed on?
oTroll.jpg

Ah... So you have inside knowledge as to what the NCAA is going to do at the end of a proceeding that has not yet occurred? Nostradamus, huh?

You have some good stock picks for us?

Or, maybe you can tell us who's going to win the House and Senate next week?

Or, how about a sure-thing bet for the Kentucky Derby next May.

i would be happy with a four team NFL parlay. that will do nicely.

This thread is pretty painful... Totally in the club from a previous poster, that said if this results in vacated wins and a postseason ban, you HAVE to consider about what happens next... Until that happens, why even speculate. Lets hope the consequences arent too serious. No NCAA tourney would be so depressing, my god

No, it appears that the UNC issue continued from coach to coach to coach and was still occuring. In Syracuse's case nothing has come out so far that anything that might have happened in football in the past has continued through Marrone and Shafer. Just an observation for what it is worth.

I'm sure UNC will get a pass because dag gummit Roy had no idea what was going on.

Does Mrs Fine figure into any of this?

Asking a legitimate question to Boeheim or his cronies gets the same type of response seen from JoePa & Penn St. fans :crazy:

Delusional fans are the same everywhere I guesscouchburn

Last edited:
  • I don't think we are blindly following Jb and are willing to overlook anything that he did. I think we are waiting to see what the infractions are before we condemn the man. The statement about Joepa and we would would defend JB is ridiculous and if that were the same situation I would be calling for JB to leave. Bottom line JB is the boss and whatever has happened he is responsible. Yes I would like to see the program run with more discipline and I think going forward that is what will happen.

• I don't think we are blindly following Jb and are willing to overlook anything that he did. I think we are waiting to see what the infractions are before we condemn the man. The statement about Joepa and we would would defend JB is ridiculous and if that were the same situation I would be calling for JB to leave. Bottom line JB is the boss and whatever has happened he is responsible. Yes I would like to see the program run with more discipline and I think going forward that is what will happen.

People who blindly follow the media are sheep thats for sure. The coverage and items leaked in this investigation have been terrible. The media knows as much as anyone else, which is nothing, and they have fed into the fanbases "lets assume the worst" attitude. JB deserves the benefit of the doubt until real evidence is stacked against him, which I haven't seen yet.

One thing thats driven me nuts about CNY my entire life is the amount of negativity that is just bread here, and this investigation just proves the point. This thread is like the comment section of an article on Syracuse.com. Some of us must be the most miserable people on the planet. We used to have people complaining that everyone joked around on this board to much, i'd rather have that than what we have today. I mean our first scrimmage is on Sunday, and about five people are actually talking basketball on the board and good posters are nowhere to be found.

I have no real qualms about the first probation we were given. Sure JB runs things a little loose with his athletes but that list was almost hilarious for a major college list of infractions and much of it could go on without the coaches knowledge if not all of it. Perhaps we should hire a compliance officer to make sure all the players are following the rules. JB can't watch them all the time and I'm sure he is not interested in doing so anyways he's a basketball coach and recruiter. He's not a babysitter nor is he a tutor or the moral policeman for SU bball players.

As far as this time around we don't even know what the actual specifics are so how can I condemn the man. Not saying he shouldn't shoulder some of the blame for how things go as he is the face of SU bball but if you are an SU fan you have always known he runs a pretty loose ship allowing the players to "do how they do" (in Melo's words) off the court. Kids go to college and begin the process of growing up and being responsible for themselves. This often results in making very stupid decisions and that's no different for student athletes.

Last edited:
I have no real qualms about the first probation we were given. Sure JB runs things a little loose with his athletes but that list was almost hilarious for a major college list of infractions and much of it could go on without the coaches knowledge if not all of it. Perhaps we should hire a compliance officer to make sure all the players are following the rules. JB can't watch them all the time and I'm sure he is not interested in doing so anyways he's a basketball coach and recruiter. He's not a babysitter nor is he a tutor or the moral policeman for SU bball players.

As far as this time around we don't even know what the actual specifics are so how can I condemn the man. Not saying he should shoulder some of the blame for how things go as he is the face of SU bball but if you are an SU fan you have always known he runs a pretty loose ship allowing the players to "do how they do" (in Melo's words) off the court. Kids go to college and begin the process of growing up and being responsible for themselves. This often results in making very stupid decisions and that's no different for student athletes.
I would kindly ask you to stop making sense and start jumping to conclusions. Immediately.

to build a program at SU in this town is nothing short of a miracle. I am ready for Hop to takeover but JB has earned the right to leave when he wants.
to build a program at SU in this town is nothing short of a miracle. I am ready for Hop to takeover but JB has earned the right to leave when he wants.
Ya every school draws 30,000+ fans to their games. It's impossible to build a program in that type of environment

The NCAA is much harder on the coaches now and not the institution. If they found the JB knowingly cheated they may indeed force him out. It's possible that could happen much like it did with Tressel at OSU so be prepared.

Greatest fan base in the world, I tell ya.

Half the fans are hoping that whatever infractions the NCAA finds are minor.

The other half are hoping for the death penalty.

Wait, what? Who wants that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom