10 days to the return of the best show on TV | Syracusefan.com

10 days to the return of the best show on TV

armory

All American
Not only is it the best show but those who have read these fine books know that this season is going to be the tits.

... and these may be the best trailers ever made for a TV show:

Great show although I still think Breaking Bad is the "best" show. My primary complaint with GoT is that the producers try to devote too much screen time to certain tangential (IMO) storylines, and frankly some of the characters that get significant screen time are simply an annoyance (again, IMO (e.g., Catelyn Stark)). The array of storylines plays well in the novels but I think the show would be crisper if they streamlined further.

A couple of nits on casting as well: Asha Greyjoy sounded like a fine piece of ass and a real dynamo in the books. The actress who plays her just... doesn't look the part, nor is her acting dynamic.

Catelyn Stark: if you're telling me Baelish - who has access to a virtual library of women, including highborn now that he's master of coin, etc. - is still carrying a torch for Cat, then she better look the part and have a sensual, sexual presence. Cat is a wrinkled, plain-faced, nag; a sterile, nattering nabob of negativity.

That said, they absolutely nailed all of the Lannisters. And only two seasons in and you could make a case for Tyrion as one of the most memorable TV characters of all time.

Not only is it the best show but those who have read these fine books know that this season is going to be the tits.

... and these may be the best trailers ever made for a TV show:

Real classy! Stating the obvious. I just hope the ratings don't "sag"

Real classy! Stating the obvious. I just hope the ratings don't "sag"

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/03/a-game-of-ratings-s3/

How strong will the new season open? Which way is the curve going to point? There is every indication that the Game of Thrones audience is still growing. Recently, Entertainment Weekly brought us fresh numbers concerning weekly viewers of the show. On average, 11.6 million people watched Thrones every week, accross all platforms (the previous number we had was 9.3 million). The sales of Season Two box sets broke records again, and was 44 percent higher than the first year, while digital copy downloads saw an increase of over 110 percent. Last year’s Shadow trailer was the most viewed trailer in HBO history on YouTube with over 3.5 million views. This year’s S3 trailer reached a staggering 20 million views! The traffic to our site is likewise reaching record heights, exceeding even the numbers we are used to when Thrones is actualy airing. Add to that the fact that GoT was the most pirated show in 2012, and you can see why we are optimistic about the ratings once the show returns at the end of the month.

They're bringing back The Wire!?!!!?!???!11!??!??

Kidding, kidding. Winter is coming.

wFs245z.jpg

Grantland link/review: "How Game of Thrones became the most important show on television"

Though the Iron Throne remains in dispute, the show itself now reigns alone; with Breaking Bad winding down and The Walking Dead still scavenging for brains, Game of Thrones is peaking at the right moment, entering its prime just as its rivaIs begin to fade. Thanks to its voluminous source material, the show is unique in the way each season is able to build directly on what came before. Freed from the vagaries of network meddling or showrunner waffling, the sheer weight of the story — a millstone in lesser hands — is now an anchor. Even in our current cultural hothouse, where hyperbolic tweets are loosed like flaming arrows, Game of Thrones feels like it has finally and legitimately arrived. There are no more casual fans; to commit to the show now is to care deeply about the intricacies of succession rights and the proper formation of a khalasar. It took time, like winters in Westeros, but Game of Thrones has become cable television's signature phenomenon.

(it's about time HBO put me on their payroll)

tumblr_mk7zw6P8eq1qfv91lo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk7zw6P8eq1qfv91lo2_500.gif

Let's go back to season one for one of the most enjoyable moments of any show ever:

tumblr_mhnw91hKLp1s3wukso1_500.gif

Despite competing with traditionally low Easter Sunday numbers, 'The Walking Dead' season finale, and the finale of the enigmatic black sheep of television 'The Bible' ... the season premiere broke all of the show's ratings records. More people watched last night than any previous episode.

But those ratings are largely irrelevant ... they don't include On Demand views nor HBO GO views ... and I hear the traffic for the latter was so high that the service crashed from 9-10pm.

So, how awesome was that second episode? Margaery Tyrell's grandmother (I can't remember the character name) was freaking awesome.

It also had maybe the best line in Game of Thrones history, in reference to Renly Baratheon: "If the throne was made of c*cks, they'd have never got him off of it."

So, how awesome was that second episode? Margaery Tyrell's grandmother (I can't remember the character name) was freaking awesome.

It also had maybe the best line in Game of Thrones history, in reference to Renly Baratheon: "If the throne was made of c*cks, they'd have never got him off of it."

Haven't read the books or anything, but I have the feeling Margaery is gonna play Joffrey like a fiddle, which I'm in full support of.

I haven't read the books either. My brother sent them to me but I just haven't had the opportunity to really dive in. Plus, when you've seen the first couple seasons it's a little tougher to dive in considering I know, generally, what's going to happen so much of it will feel a bit redundant.

Both the first 2 episodes have been spectacular. Guessing Minehan had a lot to do with that though. He is an amazing director.

This was my first thought after losing on Saturday...

BMkGOw7.gif

For me the first episode was far superior to the second. The second was more about setting the stage for things to come.

I was disappointed with S03E02. Too much Catelyn and the rather uninspiring storyline that she drags around.

The Brienne / Kingthlayer fight was spectacular in the book and really highlighted how dangerous Jaime is with a sword, even after days of marching, manacled and starving. The show missed a chance at high drama there IMO - too short and one-sided.

Plus no Daenaris updates.

I did enjoy Jaime mocking Brienne - he was perfectly cast. He and Tyrion are hilarious.

To each their own, I thought episode 2 was magnificent. The Catelyn monologue was sad as hell, the Sansa/QueenOfThorns sit-down was awesome. The Reeds are friggin perfectly cast, their intro was great considering they should have been in season 2. Thoros of Myr is way better than the book version of him. The way they have Margaery brilliantly manipulating King Joffrey like he's an amateur is so fun to watch. The episode is one of those rarities on TV that actually gets better on the 2nd viewing, the little comments, subtle quips and hints are layered really well.

From what I've read from critics (who had already been given the first 4 episodes to view), episodes 3 & 4 make the first 2 pale in comparison, which I find hard to believe.

It is funny how some of the character in the story turn out. Jamie and Catelyn are the best two examples for me. I started out hating Jamie but as his story progresses I find myself liking him more and more. Catelyn on the hand I liked at the start and now simply cannot stand. I hate her character almost as much as I do the queen and Joffrey.

I haven't read the books either. My brother sent them to me but I just haven't had the opportunity to really dive in. Plus, when you've seen the first couple seasons it's a little tougher to dive in considering I know, generally, what's going to happen so much of it will feel a bit redundant.
I didn't start the books until after seeing the first season - there are plenty of additional details/background stories to catch, plus it helps with the names of all the characters. For the first book, I would read a little bit and then watch the corresponding episode On-Demand (or vice versa). There is a ton of subtle layering that they put in the show that you'd never notice without knowing the books.

Might try to do it again for the latter seasons, as I'm about to re-read the set in preparation for the last one to come out in paperback (if it ever does - delayed AGAIN from last month until October).

To each their own, I thought episode 2 was magnificent. The Catelyn monologue was sad as hell, the Sansa/QueenOfThorns sit-down was awesome. The Reeds are friggin perfectly cast, their intro was great considering they should have been in season 2. Thoros of Myr is way better than the book version of him. The way they have Margaery brilliantly manipulating King Joffrey like he's an amateur is so fun to watch. The episode is one of those rarities on TV that actually gets better on the 2nd viewing, the little comments, subtle quips and hints are layered really well.

From what I've read from critics (who had already been given the first 4 episodes to view), episodes 3 & 4 make the first 2 pale in comparison, which I find hard to believe.

Episode 3 was a lot of filler. Liked the scene with Tyrion at the table of the King's Hand. Also liked the scene of Tryion and Poderick. Plus the end with Jamie. Other than that I found myself pretty bored.

Episode 3 was a lot of filler. Liked the scene with Tyrion at the table of the King's Hand. Also liked the scene of Tryion and Poderick. Plus the end with Jamie. Other than that I found myself pretty bored.
Ironically, those were two of the scenes not in the books. This season is going to be one of those that - once you realize how everything turned out - you'll want to immediately go back and rewatch it. There's so much going on with every little conversation that probably can't be appreciated without knowing why. Some deep foreshadowing going on. But I can assure you, you will not be bored for much longer. A lot will be happening this Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom