1992 Miami at Syracuse Video | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

1992 Miami at Syracuse Video

This game is the precise moment when I started taking Syracuse sports extremely seriously. I had just turned 10 years old. There was just something about Miami that seemed so larger-than-life and intimidating. The Dome was unreal that day.
They really need to get rid of the unsportsmanlike rule. It's taken a lot of the showmanship and fun out of the game for both players and fans. As long as they don't punch or kick someone let the players celebrate or taunt. It's entertaining and in some cases helps to create larger than life villains.

Just watched this for the first time. Was west of the Mississippi for this game, and am sure I must have been in a situation where some other game was on.

So many chances wasted. The last drive, it was like we were in slow motion.

During the fourth quarter, I said to my wife, "can you believe this? Number 1 vs. number 8. Brent Musburger. Dick Vermeil. ABC."

She responds, "there was a time when Syracuse was important."

May Dino bring us back to that point, where two ranked teams battle in the Dome.

i just went to look up the 1992 season. Forgot our other loss was to OSU in blowout fashion, Herbstreit was their QB. You know what the smallest crowd was in the Dome that year? 48,837 against Pitt. Hopefully Dino will bring that back again!

Thanks to Gocuse96 for pointing this video out. Finally on youtube.
Oddly enough, despite losing, this is a game just burned into my memory. I was there as a 14 year old. The dome had never been that loud before, or since then.
For those of you too young to remember the game, or the era...this is the atmosphere Dino will be bringing back.
1992 Miami,Fl vs Syracuse - YouTube

Thanks SU903

I worked for channel 3 and watched tht game with wayne mahar in the sports room. Crushed when we fell three yards short at the end

If we win this game do we get into the orange bowl or do we end up in fiesta no matter what? Didn't we get invite to fiesta early?

hysterical how this game started off, Miami completes a bomb...lol, some thigns havent changed

I so wanted to go to this game, but wasn't meant to be. I remember it was a stormy day and the cable coming from Oneida was knocked out right before the game started. Ended up listening to the first quarter on radio while I went to the store with my mother. Fortunately, service was restored by the time we got back from P&C in Sherrill, and was able to watch the other three quarters. This was actually the first time I've gotten to watch the beginning of the game.

I was already at the railing - ready to storm the field - when Marley stopped us at the two.

I agree with earlier posters in that the Dome was LOUDER THAN EVER BEFORE OR SINCE on that day.

Regarding the clock management on the last drive that everyone seems to vilify, having re-watched the footage, it's pretty clear that Graves was barely hanging on. When you're feeling nausea the natural instinct is to slow down to process everything. In hindsight the coaches should have used a timeout early in the drive when it became apparent he was not himself (even the announcers had speculated this on several occasions). It's understandable that Graves is going to be a warrior and try to save that TO at all costs. The trade-off - burning the clock - was not acceptable though. That's where PP needed to step in and force the TO realizing your QB is shaken up. It's just not as black-and-white as some of you make it out to be. Intuition and unscripted decisions often separate the best game coaches.

I'm getting PO'd again realizing just how much time they had to start that last drive. When they got down to the 20 yard line they clearly had to get away from what was working - running the trap option - because time was running out. That allowed the Canes to pin their ears back. With the ensuing loss of yardage on the sacks, it's amazing we still got the ball down to the 3 yard line.

The momentum of the game actually shifted on the previous red zone drive. They say it's a game of inches, or in this case, milliseconds. I embedded the time frame just before Graves gets hit and loses the ball. He's already in his throwing motion - he spots Gedney wide open waving his hands at the bottom right of the screen:

If he has another 3/10ths of a second, the pass is completed to Gedney and he waltzes into the endzone. Then we're protecting a lead and Miami has to come from behind against an insane crowd. Bottom line, we had 3 red zone scoring opportunities that resulted in 0 points. Can't do that if you want to pull a historic upset.

Last edited:
I remember this game vividly as well. We were in the upstairs at Braggs watching the game. The place was going nuts. When Torretta threw the pick we were all chanting "Bye-Bye Heisman". Unfortunately they won the game and Torretta won the Heisman anyway, but it was an awesome game.

i just went to look up the 1992 season. Forgot our other loss was to OSU in blowout fashion, Herbstreit was their QB. You know what the smallest crowd was in the Dome that year? 48,837 against Pitt. Hopefully Dino will bring that back again!
OSU game was painful. I believe some of our problem was Robert Smith. Not that he had a great statistical game, but that he was there at all after promising to leave the team. They had a very strong run game. I think we keyed on that and forced Kirk to beat us. He did. That Pitt game was a fun one too. Alex VanPelt (who I think played for the Bills) was knocked out (literally) on a hit from Kevin Mitchell. Curtis Martin was Pitt's feature back.

Thanks to Gocuse96 for pointing this video out. Finally on youtube.
Oddly enough, despite losing, this is a game just burned into my memory. I was there as a 14 year old. The dome had never been that loud before, or since then.
For those of you too young to remember the game, or the era...this is the atmosphere Dino will be bringing back.
1992 Miami,Fl vs Syracuse - YouTube

I was there as a 7 year old. Will never forget the feeling both walking into the stadium and during the final drive.

Wow the memories. I was a freshman. Some interesting points in watching this (and I did watch) One was all the ads for Nebraska vs Oklahoma for Big 8 supremacy. The game doesn't seem that long ago, but the Big 8 sure does. The other and this is more about our team is the offense. Yes it was exciting, but the number of plays made me chuckle. When we went into the endzone with about 9 min. left in the game, Dick and Brent were astonished that we had finally scored after 48 snaps, like it was a record for offensive plays from scrimmage. Compare that to today's team and 100 plays. In our quest to be as good as we were, we're onto something new for Syracuse.

Miami, Texas, and Ohio State all on the home schedule. That's incredible.

I remember that last play as well as anything from the Dome. And that included both the Gait era and some SU Georgetown matchups.

Look how good their uniforms used to look.