2-2 | Syracusefan.com

2-2

Fjoinkay

Starter
with 8 to go to win 4 or more. SU had 469 total yards and UConn had 425, so SU ended up with more total yards by 44!!

I'm not a big fan of total yards, and I think the key difference this week was that SU won the turnover battle by eliminating turnovers and forcing a game-changing pick-6 late in the 3rd quarter. Great to see Franklin tip that ball and Hudson make a fine play to secure that ball in the air and then to take it 22 yards into the end zone. And speaking of the end zone, the goal line stand in the 4th quarter was crucial obviously and really showed that SU was the better TEAM on the field yesterday. SU did have just 62 yards rushing, but Etta-Tawo had 270 yards receiving by himself and the offense had 407 yards in the air overall. I guess this team takes what the defense gives them, so in this new offense I'm not sure yet how important balance will be. I do know that watching Dungey and Etta-Tawo work together is something special. Also, I was impressed with the 3 points SU scored at the end of the first half because the offense was able to move the ball quickly and they managed the clock well. Great to see Ishmael make some plays.

Beyond SU, with the P5 structure and the leveling of the major conferences we see great games every week of the season whether inside the 5 conferences or outside. Now that the conference games are taking center stage and the heat and humidity begins to cool off, the competition on the field really heats up. The Stanford win last night was impressive (UCLA almost beat A&M in College Station Labor Day weekend, and I thought UCLA looked like the better team that day), but now Stanford plays Chris Petterson's Huskies on Friday which ought to be a great test. Petterson is slowly working his magic, and David Shaw is slowly doing yet another great job. The B1G looks very good, and its pretty clear that the B1G began improving the day Urban Meyer accepted the job to begin coaching the 2012 season at Ohio State. Ok, maybe a single coach could never turn around an entire conference, but I think Meyer may have done just that and I think it was predictable because that's how good he has been throughout his coaching career (his first head coaching job was at Bowling Green). Wisconsin going to the Big House next week is must see. Chryst is doing a great job, and Harbaugh is being Harbaugh- Michigan is a legit #4 in the country right now in his second season as the coach. The SEC West is strong as usual. The ACC continues to improve big time. The chaos is about to begin!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom