2 correctable "rookie" mistakes. | Syracusefan.com

2 correctable "rookie" mistakes.

J

JoeySimz

I'm going to keep this on the positive tip. Two plays by two new guys that just make you go hmmmmm..

1. When Battle first came in (maybe his first defensive possession?) he quickly and correctly rotated to his side when the ball was passed there. Unfortunately when that player drove, Battle latched on to him and went into m2m mode. His guy passed back out and they nailed a wide open three. I almost felt bad for Battle bc it was inexplicable and he knew it.

2. AW3 at the 2. I think this was on a pass to the interior. AW3 cheated really far in to, I'm guessing, help defend or get into rebounding position. The ball was passed back out quickly and the guy on his side nailed a wide open three. I've noticed him and Frank do this a bunch of times.

Both examples are extremely frustrating, a far cry from G and Cooney harassing nearly every shot and pass attempt. 6 points right there.

There are plenty of stupid offensive plays too like Gillon passing backwards or making a stupid outlet pass, Frank not going to get the ball from Lydon. These are all player errors and will get fixed, hopefully sooner than later.

We also saw some good things. DC made quick, smart, decisive offensive moves nearly every time he touched the ball. After getting smacked in the face repeatedly, we made a decent comeback to close the first half at Wisconicon. Battle put the ball on the floor and made an aggressive drive to get to the foul line, albeit too late. Ok, now I'm searching...lol.

Anyway, the stupid mistakes are very correctable. It's going to take time to get accustomed to real game situations and that's why I'm still, even after the disappointing loss, so excited to watch the development of this "young" team. Let's enjoy the ride!

Battle and Thompson looked like such freshmen that I actually had to chuckle a little. Both were so completely clueless and we were owned so thoroughly that it had to be terribly humbling. I'm sure they will both recover and learn from this.

Battle and Thompson looked like such freshmen that I actually had to chuckle a little. Both were so completely clueless and we were owned so thoroughly that it had to be terribly humbling. I'm sure they will both recover and learn from this.

Ed Zackley.

Eh, G and Cooney made mistakes too. They just were more familiar with the concepts and moved better because of it and really made their reach an advantage. But they both got sucked in to the basket and gave up open looks on the perimeter with some frequency.

Eh, G and Cooney made mistakes too. They just were more familiar with the concepts and moved better because of it and really made their reach an advantage. But they both got sucked in to the basket and gave up open looks on the perimeter with some frequency.

There's a lot of truth to that. When you know your responsibilities and don't have to think about it, you're free to just play. And when you can think a step ahead, you can anticipate and get into position to force turnovers, tipped balls, etc.

Right now, none of our players are playing that instinctively on defense. They're just running around a step behind, rotating too slowly, etc. Hopefully, it will improve.

There's a lot of truth to that. When you know your responsibilities and don't have to think about it, you're free to just play. And when you can think a step ahead, you can anticipate and get into position to force turnovers, tipped balls, etc.

Right now, none of our players are playing that instinctively on defense. They're just running around a step behind, rotating too slowly, etc. Hopefully, it will improve.
Yeah, it shouldn't be that surprising that we've stubbed our toe. Lot of new faces, especially handling the ball. We've been spoiled a bit by our typical early season success.

Lot of season left. I expect we'll be formidable soon. In the meantime, we'll trash teams with inferior talent and will hopefully be prepared for stiffer challenges later.

They will have plenty of examples of how not to play to watch on film this week.

I just need to remind myself that the zone we saw Tuesday is going to be nothing like the zone we will see come ACC regular season time and especially nothing like we will see at the end of the year.

I just need to remind myself that the zone we saw Tuesday is going to be nothing like the zone we will see come ACC regular season time and especially nothing like we will see at the end of the year.

1f5xnq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom