2014 Recruiting Class - Who Has Played & Who Will Redshirt | Syracusefan.com

2014 Recruiting Class - Who Has Played & Who Will Redshirt

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Since we are past the halfway point of the season, I figure unless there are even more injuries that force the coaching staff to play true freshmen, all of the players who are redshirting have been established. Here's a list (to the best of my ability):

Have Played (No Redshirt)
QB A.J. Long
RB Ervin Philips
DT Wayne Williams (JUCO - No Redshirt Available)
WR Jamal Custis
WR Steve Ishmael
LB Zaire Franklin
LB Jonathan Thomas
LB Parris Bennett
S Rodney Williams
CB Antwan Cordy

Have Not Played (Redshirt Likely)
OG Aaron Roberts
OT Denzel Ward
WR Adly Enoicy
DT Jalen Harvey
DT Kayton Samuels
LB Colton Moskal
DE Chris Slayton
CB Juwan Dowels
CB Cordell Hudson

Not On Campus (Prep)
LB/S Treevon Prater
WR KJ Williams
CB Lamar Dawson

Left Program
WR Corey Cooper
S Naesean Howard

Wild Card
QB Alin Eduoard

Thoughts: Long, Ishmael, Philips and Williams have all been impact-type guys (Long only recently). Custis may or may not be one of those guys that we wish we had his freshman year back when he's a senior. The linebackers and defensive backs have provided solid depth and have gained invaluable experience with so many spots opening up on those units next year.

Of the redshirt candidates, I really like the fact that we have been able to keep Slayton from playing this year. This is going to pay dividends by the time he is a junior and senior. I also like that we have two bigger CB's redshirting - both of whom were more highly thought of than Cordy was coming out of HS. The big guys up front need a chance to get their feet wet in practice, and our offensive and defensive lines have been relatively good without needing to play guys too early.

Of the guys who have yet to make it to campus, Treevon Prater appears to be the most likely to do so. It is questionable whether or not Williams is still being recruited, and Dawson's health status is a huge question mark. I would venture a guess and say neither make it to campus - but I could be wrong.

Then there's Alin Eduoard... who knows what will happen with him. But I really like the way this class has shown an ability to make an impact immediately, and I think a couple of the redshirting FR will also make an impact next fall.

I was under the impression Moskal had played on Special Teams, more specifically Kickoff and Kick Return early in the year... I thought he switched #'s so Winfield could keep 11 on defense.

I could be completely wrong as I've never checked participation reports.

Nice breakdown.

In the main, I agree with your philosophy about redshirting. The majority of players we get--while many of them are good athletes--benefit from the ability to be immersed in the system for a year, immersed in a S&C program for a year, etc. before being rushed out onto the field. We're getting back to the point where our depth doesn't require us to use all hands on deck just to fill out the two deep / special teams.

There are always exceptions, but for us--the vast majority of players we land will benefit from a redshirt year. And all things being equal, having them around for a fifth year is a bigger benefit than using them in a limited capacity that first season.

I was under the impression Moskal had played on Special Teams, more specifically Kickoff and Kick Return early in the year... I thought he switched #'s so Winfield could keep 11 on defense.

Moskal hasn't played. Since he still wears #11 on gamedays, I don't expect him to see the field this year.

Someone has been playing on coverage teams wearing #11 (not very well either) but he looks too small to be Colton. Has to be Winfield.

Winfield has been playing on coverage specials.

Nice post and breakdown.

There are some talented kids in the last class for sure and a couple of the redshirts are just as good. Depth has gotten so much better. Can you imagine in any other year losing 15 guys off the two deep and still actually being competitive? It's important we follow up this class with back to back good classes. We're not going anywhere until we do that, but this past class appears to be as good as any class I can remember dating back to the 90's.

Zaire Franklin imo takes over starting MLB next year. He's a gem.

Prater looks like he's coming in as a cornerback and at 6-1 185 we're finally getting bigger at the position. 4 of 7 defensive backs committed for 2014/15 (including Dawson/Prater) are over 6-0 tall.

It was good to see so many backups get a a lot of PT in that 4Q against Wake. Bowl practices are imperative.

Winfield has been playing on coverage specials.

Nice post and breakdown.

There are some talented kids in the last class for sure and a couple of the redshirts are just as good. Depth has gotten so much better. Can you imagine in any other year losing 15 guys off the two deep and still actually being competitive? It's important we follow up this class with back to back good classes. We're not going anywhere until we do that, but this past class appears to be as good as any class I can remember dating back to the 90's.

Zaire Franklin imo takes over starting MLB next year. He's a gem.

Prater looks like he's coming in as a cornerback and at 6-1 185 we're finally getting bigger at the position. 4 of 7 defensive backs committed for 2014/15 (including Dawson/Prater) are over 6-0 tall.

It was good to see so many backups get a a lot of PT in that 4Q against Wake. Bowl practices are imperative.

Agreed--those extra bowl practices are going to be just as invaluable as actually being able to sell the bowl appearance on the recruiting trail, IMO.

Maybe I'm missing it, but has there been much convo about Custis? Feel like I haven't heard his name called in weeks.

Think you're correct that we will likely have wished he redshirted this year when it's all said and done.

The freshman on defense that aren't redshirting really need to see the field more in actual defensive formations and not just special teams.

Nice breakdown.

In the main, I agree with your philosophy about redshirting. The majority of players we get--while many of them are good athletes--benefit from the ability to be immersed in the system for a year, immersed in a S&C program for a year, etc. before being rushed out onto the field. We're getting back to the point where our depth doesn't require us to use all hands on deck just to fill out the two deep / special teams.

There are always exceptions, but for us--the vast majority of players we land will benefit from a redshirt year. And all things being equal, having them around for a fifth year is a bigger benefit than using them in a limited capacity that first season.

On that note, crazy to me that Bennett, Thomas, and Cordy have been used if they're going to play strictly on special teams.

Custis, too, if we're going to go entire games without throwing to him.

Just did a quick check of the participation reports. No Moskal reported in any of this year's games.

On that note, crazy to me that Bennett, Thomas, and Cordy have been used if they're going to play strictly on special teams.

I agree. I'm of the thinking that with our guys, who tend to be a bit more raw, that 5th year is huge.

This leads me to a question for the board. I know there's a medical hardship waiver for a possible sixth year if the criteria is met. But, if the players do not use their red shirt in year one, it can be applied at any year in the event of an injury without having to be classified as a medical hardship waiver, correct? Also, is the waiver only applicable if the previous red-shirted year was due to injury? I forget.

I agree. I'm of the thinking that with our guys, who tend to be a bit more raw, that 5th year is huge.

This leads me to a question for the board. I know there's a medical hardship waiver for a possible sixth year if the criteria is met. But, if the players do not use their red shirt in year one, it can be applied at any year in the event of an injury without having to be classified as a medical hardship waiver, correct? Also, is the waiver only applicable if the previous red-shirted year was due to injury? I forget.

Yes that's correct..any of the true frosh playing this year can still redshirt in the future (typically this would be due to injury after their frosh yr but doesn't have to be). If it is do to injury in the season then it comes down to the rule where injury has to to be early where they play in less first 30% of games or so.

Last edited:

Players usually have 5 years to play 4.

If you play as a true frosh, you always have that extra redshirt year in your back pocket.

If you were forced to miss your true frosh year due to injury, and you miss a second season due to injury, you can apply for the 6th year.

I totally agree.

I actually don't think Williams or Bennett have played since they got injured in week 1. Maybe Shafer isn't playing them the rest of the year in hopes for applying for a medical redshirt?

I totally agree.

I actually don't think Williams or Bennett have played since they got injured in week 1. Maybe Shafer isn't playing them the rest of the year in hopes for applying for a medical redshirt?

Bennett played on D in the 2nd half against Wake.

I totally agree.

EDIT: Too late.

PB played last week vs. Wake.

I totally agree.

Yeah, #30 was out there late on Saturday. But maybe this is the goal for Williams.

Has Jonathan Thomas been getting regular PT on specials or some mop duty at lb? I know he had a tackle in the first game, but haven't heard his name mentioned since he had a tackle in the first game on KO team. I was thinking he might be a good candidate to red shirt preseason but I guess I understand getting such a good athlete on the field if they need him to contribute.

Yes that's correct..any of the true frosh playing this year can still redshirt in the future (typically this would be due to injury after their frosh yr but doesn't have to be). If it is do to injury in the season then it comes down to the rule where injury has to to be early where they play in less first 30% of games or so.
Cool beans. So, all the moaning about burning a redshirt is just that, moaning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom