2015 LB Qaadir Sheppard Commits to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

2015 LB Qaadir Sheppard Commits to Syracuse

Offers from BC, Rutgers, Pitt, UVA. That's the peer group we need to beat out.

Same with the other recent commit Amir Ealey (offers from Rutgers, Pitt, UVA, WVU, Maryland, UNC).

I'll take any good news we can get.

That's great to see -- looks like we continue to recruit those heavy hitters on the defensive side of the ball.

Can we somehow someway have a top 50 class know it doesn't truly matter but love to see it?

Can we somehow someway have a top 50 class know it doesn't truly matter but love to see it?
We already have a top 50. Two sites had us at 35 before Sheppard.

Dumb question, but he's clearly a LB recruit right? Because ESPN has him as a TE recruit.

We honestly have some great versatility within this class. Sheppard also looks like he could bulk up and play DE or play OLB for us. He looks like a bit like a bigger Dyshawn Davis or even a Derrell Smith type. Given that Shy Cullen has been training to move to OLB but obviously is versed at MLB and Henderson looks as though he can play either LB spot we could field a big group of hard hitting LB's. Also, if Sheppard is used as DE I wonder if we consider Ealey at TE.

Great "problem" to have.

247 has us at #34 overall and 8th in the ACC after Sheppard's commit. That is based on 247's site rankings and not their composite rankings

Scout has us at #37 without Sheppard and 6th in the ACC. Adding him should move us up to 36th or 35th.

Rivals has us at #46 right now without Sheppard, and it looks like adding him should put us into their top 40 as of right now. Part of the reason why I think they are lower than Scout and 247 are that Rivals has been extremely lazy with our class this year, probably because of how poorly our team performed. There are guys that committed to us back in April that they haven't even touched in 10 months (Jordan Fredericks is a fantastic example of this, kid wins Gatorade POY in NYS and isn't even in their postseason top 10 in NYS). When I see players that have had strong senior seasons not get re-evaluated (and it's more than 1 of our recruits at Rivals), I tend to think that the site isn't doing a thorough job.

Now when you look at 247's composite rankings, which accumulate rankings from all the major sites and average them out, our class looks much worse rankings wise because ESPN has us rated substantially lower than 247, Scout, and Rivals.

ESPN has us outside their top 40. I can't see how far outside that we are because they don't publically publish the list beyond 40, but we were #60 overall on that site last year and that was a class that had 3 4 star recruits and this year we don't have a 4 star recruit. So I'm assuming we're somewhere around 60 on that site right now.

I think any reasonable person can see that #34, #37 and #46 vs #60 is a substantial difference, and that it puts the site ranking us at #60 in question. I would tend to throw out ESPN as an outlier just because of that. I think ESPN does a nice job with their player evaluations but I'm not exactly sure how they come up with their rankings. This is 2 straight years where their rankings of our class has significantly lagged behind the 3 other sites.

247 has us at #34 overall and 8th in the ACC after Sheppard's commit. That is based on 247's site rankings and not their composite rankings

Scout has us at #37 without Sheppard and 6th in the ACC. Adding him should move us up to 36th or 35th.

Rivals has us at #46 right now without Sheppard, and it looks like adding him should put us into their top 40 as of right now. Part of the reason why I think they are lower than Scout and 247 are that Rivals has been extremely lazy with our class this year, probably because of how poorly our team performed. There are guys that committed to us back in April that they haven't even touched in 10 months (Jordan Fredericks is a fantastic example of this, kid wins Gatorade POY in NYS and isn't even in their postseason top 10 in NYS). When I see players that have had strong senior seasons not get re-evaluated (and it's more than 1 of our recruits at Rivals), I tend to think that the site isn't doing a thorough job.

Now when you look at 247's composite rankings, which accumulate rankings from all the major sites and average them out, our class looks much worse rankings wise because ESPN has us rated substantially lower than 247, Scout, and Rivals.

ESPN has us outside their top 40. I can't see how far outside that we are because they don't publically publish the list beyond 40, but we were #60 overall on that site last year and that was a class that had 3 4 star recruits and this year we don't have a 4 star recruit. So I'm assuming we're somewhere around 60 on that site right now.

I think any reasonable person can see that #34, #37 and #46 vs #60 is a substantial difference, and that it puts the site ranking us at #60 in question. I would tend to throw out ESPN as an outlier just because of that. I think ESPN does a nice job with their player evaluations but I'm not exactly sure how they come up with their rankings. This is 2 straight years where their rankings of our class has significantly lagged behind the 3 other sites.

Part of the ESPN ranking comes from a non-standard method. They actually factor in how the class addresses needs. Obviously this part is all personal opinion on their end so you can see where we get shafted there. For example last year we had three 4 stars, and a bunch of high 3's and we were #60. Yeaa ok.

Part of the ESPN ranking comes from a non-standard method. They actually factor in how the class addresses needs. Obviously this part is all personal opinion on their end so you can see where we get shafted there. For example last year we had three 4 stars, and a bunch of high 3's and we were #60. Yeaa ok.

If that's really the case, 247 should not be including them in their composite rankings. It's almost apples and oranges.

I thought the biggest key that fueled the turnaround in the program under Caoch Mac was his ability to bring in a large number of big players who could run. Kids like Sheppard are the ones we need to make the team a power in the ACC.

I am not a religious guy, but it has to be a good omen, getting a shep(p)ard at Christmas time...
I just wish we had three wise men coaching him.

Welcome to The Syracuse Family, Qaadir!
Yet another great pick up; coaches closing strong!