2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Alsacs

Living Legend
Outside of the NY Jets I actually think the other 3 AFC teams could make the playoffs.
AFC North
I think Baltimore losing Suggs for the year is huge and only one of the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals will make it.
AFC South
Is a two horse race Colts and Texans of which both got kicked in the teeth week 1.
AFC West
Three team race Denver, Kansas City, San Diego.

If I was power ranking the AFC right now.
1. Patriots
2. Bills
3. Broncos
4. Dolphins
5. Steelers
6. Colts
7. Chiefs
8. Chargers
9. Bengals
10. Texans
11. Ravens
12. Titans
13. Jets
14. Jaguars
15. Browns
16. Raiders

I'm gonna pump the breaks on the Bills for now. If we're talking about most impressive yesterday, then yeah, your list looks about right (though the Chiefs should definitely be higher). I'd probably bump the Bengals up and the Dolphins down.

But in terms of actual contenders, I'd still lean towards Denver, Indy, and KC before I'd consider a team like Buffalo; great start though!

I'm gonna pump the breaks on the Bills for now. If we're talking about most impressive yesterday, then yeah, your list looks about right (though the Chiefs should definitely be higher). I'd probably bump the Bengals up and the Dolphins down.

But in terms of actual contenders, I'd still lean towards Denver, Indy, and KC before I'd consider a team like Buffalo; great start though!
Indy is garbage. They got Luck and Hilton. Name one playmaker on D for them? Maybe Vontae Davis but their front 7 is weak outside of Mathis who is coming off a major injury. Colts will win 10-11 games and won't get a bye.
Colts get pounded by the Patriots for a reason. They are easy to run on and if you shut down Hilton they aren't explosive.

Dolphins are good. They won a game they would have lost most years. Chiefs-Broncos should be interesting this week., but honestly I think Bills-Patriots might be the two top teams if Taylor is the real deal.

Indy is garbage. They got Luck and Hilton. Name one playmaker on D for them? Maybe Vontae Davis but their front 7 is weak outside of Mathis who is coming off a major injury. Colts will win 10-11 games and won't get a bye.
Colts get pounded by the Patriots for a reason. They are easy to run on and if you shut down Hilton they aren't explosive.

Dolphins are good. They won a game they would have lost most years. Chiefs-Broncos should be interesting this week., but honestly I think Bills-Patriots might be the two top teams if Taylor is the real deal.

What would Taylor being the "real deal" mean exactly? I think it's possible he could be an average QB.

The Colts have an absurd number of options on offense; saying it's just Luck & Hilton is terribly underselling them. The defense is obviously suspect, and that will probably be their undoing, but they'll always have a chance with that offense.

I'm in a wait-and-see position on the Dolphins. The defense and offense can both be pretty good, but we'll see. Not sure they're ready to be more than just a possible wild card team and first round exit in the playoffs yet.

And I think the Chiefs and Broncos can both be contender type teams if things break the right way for them. Peyton's gotta pick it up though; rough start for him.

What would Taylor being the "real deal" mean exactly? I think it's possible he could be an average QB.

The Colts have an absurd number of options on offense; saying it's just Luck & Hilton is terribly underselling them. The defense is obviously suspect, and that will probably be their undoing, but they'll always have a chance with that offense.

I'm in a wait-and-see position on the Dolphins. The defense and offense can both be pretty good, but we'll see. Not sure they're ready to be more than just a possible wild card team and first round exit in the playoffs yet.

And I think the Chiefs and Broncos can both be contender type teams if things break the right way for them. Peyton's gotta pick it up though; rough start for him.
Allen and Fleener are okay TEs. Andre Johnson and Frank Gore aren't the same players. I need it to see from Dorsett.
Andrew Luck is that team. The Colts OL is not that good.

I actually think the Steelers are the class of the AFC North. Broncos looked really shaky offensively at home yesterday. Maybe the Chiefs or Charger beat them for the division. However Peyton's arm for deep balls is not good. They can be defended by flooding the field with DBs and tackling their 4 yard passes. Make Peyton throw down field.

Taylor being the real deal would be throwing for 200-250 yds, limit turnovers, and scramble.

I like the Dolphins more than you. I think they are a playoff team. The AFC East looks like it has 3 10 win teams. I expect the Pats to split with both teams. I think Buffalo wins a close game this week and NE beats them in Foxboro on MNF.

Its too early to tell. I agree that Suggs going down is a killer for the Ravens. They didn't have a great pass rushing team to begin with and he was their best pass rusher.

As far as the Bills I think their defense may get better under Ryan especially with everyone playing. The offense almost has to get better with those new skill position players. Taylor seemed solid but we are talking about one outing against a weak defensive team. The OL looks like it could be an issue especially against better front 7's. If they win @ home against NE next week then you have to give them the benefit of the doubt at that point. Beating a playoff team and last years superbowl champs back to back would be quite impressive even if they are both home games.

Its too early to tell. I agree that Suggs going down is a killer for the Ravens. They didn't have a great pass rushing team to begin with and he was their best pass rusher.

As far as the Bills I think their defense may get better under Ryan especially with everyone playing. The offense almost has to get better with those new skill position players. Taylor seemed solid but we are talking about one outing against a weak defensive team. The OL looks like it could be an issue especially against better front 7's. If they win @ home against NE next week then you have to give them the benefit of the doubt at that point. Beating a playoff team and last years superbowl champs back to back would be quite impressive even if they are both home games.

Agreed. And New England will be a tougher test; Belichick must have been furious with the way his defense played in the first game. They'll come out hungry, and Brady gets rid of the ball much quicker than Luck does, so it'll be tough to get pressure on him. And obviously Gronk is a pretty solid player too.

I actually think the Jets could surprise some people, their defense is pretty good, if Fitzpatrick can just protect the football, they can win some games.

Outside of the NY Jets I actually think the other 3 AFC teams could make the playoffs.
AFC North
I think Baltimore losing Suggs for the year is huge and only one of the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals will make it.
AFC South
Is a two horse race Colts and Texans of which both got kicked in the teeth week 1.
AFC West
Three team race Denver, Kansas City, San Diego.

If I was power ranking the AFC right now.
1. Patriots
2. Bills
3. Broncos
4. Dolphins
5. Steelers
6. Colts
7. Chiefs
8. Chargers
9. Bengals
10. Texans
11. Ravens
12. Titans
13. Jets
14. Jaguars
15. Browns
16. Raiders

The Chiefs are way to low IMO. They are going to beat Denver thursday.

What they did the Texans D was impressive. I wanted to put them 6th but the Colts I think are going to win the AFC South and needed 1 team in the top 6.
I think the NFC has the top 2 teams in the league but the AFC is deeper.

I actually think the Jets could surprise some people, their defense is pretty good, if Fitzpatrick can just protect the football, they can win some games.

If Fitzpatrick could just protect the football, he and Chan Gailey would still be working for the Bills.

Maybe Vontae Davis!?... "Maybe"? He might be the best cornerback in the NFL but maybe he's good?

As far as Buffalo goes I definitely want to see more of TT and this offense before I make a judgment. They destroyed the Colts when they actually tried and then most of the second half were running McCoy into 8 man fronts to run the clock out up by 2-3 scores. I'm not worried about the offensive line because the run game against Indy became clock chewing instead of actually trying to attack. How they do against NE will say much more than yesterday.

The defense will be great all year and how great will depend on the secondary which looked elite against the Colts.

Maybe Vontae Davis!?... "Maybe"? He might be the best cornerback in the NFL but maybe he's good?
Vontae isn't in my top 5 CBs
1. Sherman-Sea
2. Revis- NYJ
3. Haden-Cle
4. Peterson - Ari
5. Harris-Den
6. Talib- Den
7. Flowers-SD
8. Davis-Indy.
He is a solid CB but Davis doesn't scare me. Edelman and LaFell didn't get shut down by Vontae Davis.
Indy's D is going to get lit up and will rely on Luck bailing them out and he will most weeks.

In terms of actual coverage, I think Peterson is grossly overrated; Vontae is far better at staying with his man.

I do agree that the defense remains the Colts biggest concern though. I'll never understand why they did so little to address that side of the ball this offseason.

I'm not sure if it's just 'cause the Bills looked so good, but the complaining about wk1 overreactions this year is more annoying than the overreactions. I mean we get it, teams that have Luck, Rodgers, and Brady* will have to be reckoned with in the end. Way to go out on a limb.

The Jets have quietly assembled a pretty good roster. I think even most Bills fans would admit Gailey is a good OC (a rarity for fans to say of an ex-coach). We just know how the Fitzmagic thing is likely to end.

Miami is a weird team 'cause everyone I respect likes 'em and their QB and it doesn't match my eyes. Lucky W to start, Vegas should've cleaned up on that as every Joe 6pack was fading Washington. Already heard multiple nitpicks of Tyrod's conservative throws but I still haven't seen Tannehill complete a pass 12+ yards downfield in four years. Philbin is also a bit of a clown imo.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's just 'cause the Bills looked so good, but the complaining about wk1 overreactions this year is more annoying than the overreactions. I mean we get it, teams that have Luck, Rodgers, and Brady* will have to be reckoned with in the end. Way to go out on a limb.

The Jets have quietly assembled a pretty good roster. I think even most Bills fans would admit Gailey is a good OC (a rarity for fans to say of an ex-coach). We just know how the Fitzmagic thing is likely to end.

Miami is a weird team 'cause everyone I respect likes 'em and their QB and it doesn't match my eyes. Lucky W to start, Vegas should've cleaned up on that as every Joe 6pack was fading Washington. Already heard multiple nitpicks of Tyrod's conservative throws but I still haven't seen Tannehill complete a pass 12+ yards downfield in four years. Philbin is also a bit of a clown imo.
What exactly is a conservative throw because Brady makes a living off conservative throws. I'm not sure why everyone needs to be like Rodgers or Luck and bomb downfield all the time. I'd rather have Tyrod Taylor do what he did last game than force throws all over the place like Matt Ryan and allow teams back in it who have no business scoring against our defense.

Vontae isn't in my top 5 CBs
1. Sherman-Sea
2. Revis- NYJ
3. Haden-Cle
4. Peterson - Ari
5. Harris-Den
6. Talib- Den
7. Flowers-SD
8. Davis-Indy.
He is a solid CB but Davis doesn't scare me. Edelman and LaFell didn't get shut down by Vontae Davis.
Indy's D is going to get lit up and will rely on Luck bailing them out and he will most weeks.
No Brent Grimes? Ok.

No Brent Grimes? Ok.
First off take the Fins blinders off. Grimes is 32. He is a really good player but I would take each of those 8 guys before Grimes.
I like Miami more than most. Your biggest team weakness is HC. Philbin is a bad HC.

Well the chefs are favored by 3 so they're expected to win. Denver could have the #1 D in the league. Manning is starting a new O, and his 2 top wr's have barely played pre season. And he over threw guys. A lot of assumptions by a lot of people for it being week 1. Week 1 means nothing.

Well the chefs are favored by 3 so they're expected to win. Denver could have the #1 D in the league. Manning is starting a new O, and his 2 top wr's have barely played pre season. And he over threw guys. A lot of assumptions by a lot of people for it being week 1. Week 1 means nothing.
I believe Denver, Houston Buffalo have the top Ds in that order in the AFC.
Denver has two legit shutdown CBs in Harris, and Talib. Bookend DEs in Miller and Ware. Terrance Knighton was an underrated loss on them. Good OLs might be able to run on them.
Honestly I think Peyton is going to be a game manager and a damn good one in that. Unless he gets some arm strength back he is going to have bad games like he did against Baltimore. Denver is going to be NE tons of short passes and YAC yards. Demarius Thomas and Emanuel Sanders are good enough to get those yards. Kubiak's offense will rely on Anderson or whatever RB making it eaiser on Peyton.

I believe Denver, Houston Buffalo have the top Ds in that order in the AFC.
Denver has two legit shutdown CBs in Harris, and Talib. Bookend DEs in Miller and Ware. Terrance Knighton was an underrated loss on them. Good OLs might be able to run on them.
Honestly I think Peyton is going to be a game manager and a damn good one in that. Unless he gets some arm strength back he is going to have bad games like he did against Baltimore. Denver is going to be NE tons of short passes and YAC yards. Demarius Thomas and Emanuel Sanders are good enough to get those yards. Kubiak's offense will rely on Anderson or whatever RB making it eaiser on Peyton.

I obviously agree with everything you said except, Manning's arm strength. It's no weaker than it was last year. Matter of fact DT and Sanders have said throughout camp he had more zip on the ball. Some would say, of course his receivers would say that, but they didn't last year. And he was over throwing Sanders Sunday. Sanders didn't play one snap pre season. The O line played terrible and allowed constant pressure and had 2 free and open sacks of Manning. New O, wr's not playing pre season, and terrible Oline play not allowing him to get his feet under him. And the lowest rated player for Denver on O or D by PFF was the LG Evan Mathis who also didn't play a down of pre season. Timing, timing, timing. Some people will call those excuses, it's just the way I saw it with a little bias I guess. We'll see. If he looks the same week 4 then I'll start being concerned.

I like KC and the points Thursday. I know Denver is adjusting to a new offense and offensive line, but that was the same defense that gave up 35 and 400 yards passing to New England in January. They couldn't run or pass protect even after Suggs got hurt. KC on a short week is going to be tough for Denver.

I like KC and the points Thursday. I know Denver is adjusting to a new offense and offensive line, but that was the same defense that gave up 35 and 400 yards passing to New England in January. They couldn't run or pass protect even after Suggs got hurt. KC on a short week is going to be tough for Denver.
Well our first good running drive was in the 4th with Hillman that ended in a fg of course. That d line of the Ravens is no joke even without Suggs. And I don't care what happened in Jan. that D came to play. And I can see why they're expected to be a top notch unit this season. We didn't take advantage of the few times wr's were open, like barely overthrowing Sanders in the endzone. Or the first time Peyton's rolled out here in Denver and missed badly on an open DT and there were 2 other wr's wide open. I hope they keep doing that because that play worked great. KC is on a short week also. It's a very nasty place to play in Arrowhead and that's where the 3 points come from, but luckily we're used to it and so is Kubiak. We'll see, can't wait.