2016-17 Coaching Carousel | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 Coaching Carousel

Its starting to look like Diaco got fired for not hiring Jerry Kill haha

I missed that Temple hired Geoff Collins. Geoff's dad was my middle school PE teacher. I was not a fan of his dad in the least bit, but interesting to see Geoff make the big time.

I missed that Temple hired Geoff Collins. Geoff's dad was my middle school PE teacher. I was not a fan of his dad in the least bit, but interesting to see Geoff make the big time.
Kind of surprised Temple took a guy with no background coaching in the Northeast (Collins was the DC at Florida). Unbelievable how everyone keeps hiring defensive oriented head coaches...

I don't even think edsall is a bad coach. but I cant think of anything better than edsall back to Yukon, specifically because it will probably take edsall 6-8 years to get back to respect, but they have been firing guys after 3 years lately.

Better give him a massive buyout. How embarrassing.

how is that embarassing? he was def their best coach ever and got them to a BCS game. The guy beat us pretty good as well during his time at UConn. If you are a Syracuse fan, this is the worst possible hire b/c he can win at UConn and was able to find NFL talent to play there.

how is that embarassing? he was def their best coach ever and got them to a BCS game. The guy beat us pretty good as well during his time at UConn. If you are a Syracuse fan, this is the worst possible hire b/c he can win at UConn and was able to find NFL talent to play there.
Edsall maxed out at 8-4 playing in a watered down Big East. He is no threat Syracuse. He would cement their status as a mid-major. He beat Syracuse at our nadir.
We aren't going to play them again after next year. Edsall was good at at getting them to 7-8 wins but he never had a breakout year.
Syracuse would have the exciting offense and P5 affiliation. Go ahead UConn go back to the future.

Nope. We're not on equal footing anymore. "The guy beat us pretty good" when we were in the same league. Not the case anymore.

Can they be decent? Maybe. Is it the worst possible hire for Syracuse? Not by a long shot. Schiano would be far worse for us than The Dancer.

i'm not sure how any coach could look at their roster, incoming recruits, and the way they just treated diaco and think "yeah, that place will be good for my career"
Coaches look at jobs like women look at men: they can turn it into what it should be.

Kind of surprised Temple took a guy with no background coaching in the Northeast (Collins was the DC at Florida). Unbelievable how everyone keeps hiring defensive oriented head coaches...
Not so fast!

I don't believe the numbers support the position that "everyone keeps hiring defensive oriented head coaches". Here's what my research revealed:

2017 Coaching Transitions
#1 Art Briles - Baylor (Matt Ruhle) O->O [Ruhle has coached everything, was O last half of career before HC]
#2 Ron Turner - FIU (Butch Davis) O->D
#3 Les Miles - LSU (Coach O) D->D
#4 Darrell Hazell - Purdue (Jeff Brohm) O->O
#5 Tim DeRuyter - Fresno St. (Jeff Tedford) D->O
#6 Trent Miles - Georgia St. (Shawn Elliott) O->O
#7 Charlie Strong - Texas (Tom Herman) D->O
#8 Tom Herman - Houston (Major Applewhite) O->O
#9 Charlie Partridge - FAU (Lane Kiffin) D->O
#10 Brian Polian - Nevada (Jay Norvell) ST->O
#11 Ron Caragher - San Jose St (Brent Brennan) O->O
#12 Mark Helfirch - Oregon (Willie Taggart) O->O
#13 Kevin Wilson - Indiana (Tom Allen) O->D
#14 Tommy Tuberville - Cincinnati (Luke Fickell) D->D
#15 Jeff Brohm - Western Kentucky (Mike Sanford) O->O
#16 Matt Ruhle - Temple(Geoff Collins) O->D
#17 Willie Taggart - USF (Charlie Strong) O->D

Summary
O->O 7
D/ST->O 4

O->D 4
D->D 2

11 schools hired offensive-oriented coaches, while only 6 hired defensive-oriented coaches.
That's 35% for the defensive side of the ball. A far cry from "everyone". ;)

Note: Yukon is not included.

The guess on my part - the offensive coaches are already gone. As an example, Brohm is an offense-oriented coach as a former Louavul QB and was hired already. A number, like Babers, were hired into new jobs last year. Then you get some strange animals. BYU was known more for its offense, but Mendenhall was a DB in college and worked his way up as an assistant on defense. He brought Robert Anae, his OC, with him to UVa and they're methodically building up our offense based on using the ideas that worked at BYU (other than the 2-year missions). The most visible to us is with this staff offensive linemen are targeted recruits and not an afterthought.

Excellent research but I was referring to the Northeast...

Pitt Narduzzi
Rutgers Ash
Temple Collins
Cincy Fickell
UConn ?

Edsall maxed out at 8-4 playing in a watered down Big East. He is no threat Syracuse. He would cement their status as a mid-major. He beat Syracuse at our nadir.
We aren't going to play them again after next year. Edsall was good at at getting them to 7-8 wins but he never had a breakout year.
Syracuse would have the exciting offense and P5 affiliation. Go ahead UConn go back to the future.

You make it like 8-4 max out season was something of a stain for UConn. He made a complete nonexistent program into something that competed for a big east title, nadir or no nadir. I show a guy who went to 5 bowls btw 2004 and 2010. If we had Edsall during that period, a statue would be built at Syracuse for him.

I wouldn't underestimate him is all i'm saying. I'd take 8-4 right now no matter the conference. UConn may make a living out of bowling in the AAC w Edsall. That's not a bad thing for them. He can sell that to recruits too.

Excellent research but I was referring to the Northeast...
OK, but the quoted sentence made no reference to the Northeast.

But, I'll play along...

FBS Northeast Football Coaches
Army : Jeff Monken - O
BCU : Dazzler - O
Buffalo : Lance Leipold - O
Yukon : ??
Maryland : DJ Durkin - D
Massachusetts: Mark Whipple - O
Navy : Ken Niumatalolo - O
PSU : James Franklin - O
Pitt : Pat Narduzzi - D
Rutgers : Chris Ash - D
Syracuse : Dino Babers - O
Temple : Geoff Collins - D

Summary
O - 7 (58%)
D - 4 (25%)
? - 1

Expanded Northeast Football Coaches
If you want to expand the definition of Northeast a bit to include Ohio (as you referenced Fickell) and our other former NE football rival's state then we add:

Akron : Terry Bowden - O
Bowling Green : Mike Jinks - O
Cincinnati : Luke Fickell - D
Kent State : Paul Haynes - D
Marshall : Doc Holliday - O
Miami (O) : Chuck Martin - O (ND OC before becoming Miami HC)
Ohio : Frank Solich - O
O$U : Urban Meyer - O
Toledo : Jason Candle - O
WVU : Dana Holgorsen - O

Grand Total
O - 15 (68%)
D - 6 (33%)
? - 1

In short, you listed 4 of the 6 defensive oriented head coaches in the Northeast, while ignoring the 16 offensive oriented head coaches. 33% is even less than "everyone". :)

Don't worry, it's a common human trait to focus on the evidence that you feel supports your position. ;)

Edit: updated info & stats due to erroneously listing a D coach as O. See, I may have fallen into the same trap. ;)

Last edited:
You make it like 8-4 max out season was something of a stain for UConn. He made a complete nonexistent program into something that competed for a big east title, nadir or no nadir. I show a guy who went to 5 bowls btw 2004 and 2010. If we had Edsall during that period, a statue would be built at Syracuse for him.

I wouldn't underestimate him is all i'm saying. I'd take 8-4 right now no matter the conference. UConn may make a living out of bowling in the AAC w Edsall. That's not a bad thing for them. He can sell that to recruits too.
UConn grew up on 3rd base as a D-1 program. They were given membership into a BCS conference while other programs which had played D-1 a lot longer where midmajors.

It is not impressive with all those advantages of not paying your dues that the max of your achievement is going 8-4 in a league that was pathetic. UConn is not a threat to us. They are below us in an inferior league and have less talent than we do. Edsall we get them to 6-6/7-5/8-4 because their conference doesn't have any superpowers and they can schedule wins and become bowl eligible.

Consider me unimpressed. BTW no if Edsall did 2010-2014 what he did at Syracuse we would call that the 1990s.
We have sucked for a decade because Coach P stopped recruiting, we hired two over their head coordinators and our administration F'ed over Marrone with spending.

The Bowls are the freaking International Bowl/Belk Bowl/Papa Johns Bowl. He went to the Fiesta Bowl at 8-4 by winning the Big East at 5-2 in the worst year ever for a BCS league and basically killed the future of BE Football.

Edsall would be great for Syracuse at UConn because he would keep them mediocre and non-threat.

Well, you can see our confusion. "This is the worst possible hire" for SU is not the same thing as "I wouldn't underestimate him".

There would be no statue, unless he brought home a NC.

OK, but the quoted sentence made no reference to the Northeast.

But, I'll play along...

FBS Northeast Football Coaches
Army : Jeff Monken - O
BCU : Dazzler - O
Buffalo : Lance Leipold - O
Yukon : ??
Maryland : DJ Durkin - D
Massachusetts: Mark Whipple - O
Navy : Ken Niumatalolo - O
PSU : James Franklin - O
Pitt : Pat Narduzzi - O
Rutgers : Chris Ash - D
Syracuse : Dino Babers - O
Temple : Geoff Collins - D

Summary
O - 8 (67%)
D - 3 (25%)
? - 1

Expanded Northeast Football Coaches
If you want to expand the definition of Northeast a bit to include Ohio (as you referenced Fickell) and our other former NE football rival's state then we add:

Akron : Terry Bowden - O
Bowling Green : Mike Jinks - O
Cincinnati : Luke Fickell - D
Kent State : Paul Haynes - D
Marshall : Doc Holliday - O
Miami (O) : Chuck Martin - O (ND OC before becoming Miami HC)
Ohio : Frank Solich - O
O$U : Urban Meyer - O
Toledo : Jason Candle - O
WVU : Dana Holgorsen - O

Grand Total
O - 16 (73%)
D - 5 (23%)
? - 1

In short, you listed 4 of the 5 defensive oriented head coaches in the Northeast, while ignoring the 16 offensive oriented head coaches. 23% is even less than "everyone". :)

Don't worry, it's a common human trait to focus on the evidence that you feel supports your position. ;)

Narduzzi was a DC at michigan state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom