2016-2017 Syracuse basketball roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2016-2017 Syracuse basketball roster

Moyer isn't gonna shirt...

If Roberson doesn't improve his game beyond exceptional rebounding, put backs and the occasional wide open dunk, JB will have a tight leash. He's a senior, I get it, but if he's not multi-dimensional JB can sit TR and put someone else in. That's why depth is such a great thing.

Last edited:
Sure.

It will always be an issue when you have a small roster.

But we wasted a lot of energy worrying about scholarship reductions when we have difficulty filing 9 or 10 scholarships.

Scholarship reductions are the least of our concerns.

OMG, and some people around these parts think I tend to lean negative. Cuseguy, please list the litany of concerns we have going into next year. Then try to list some positives going into next year. Can you do both, or just the former?

Please no projects at positions we don't have depth.

Depths a funny thing If you got a center pf combo and PF sf combo a SF/SG combo and a sg/pg combo You really only need 6 deep to be a serious threat.

8 deep with all players deserving 20 a game is a dream come true for Syracuse's case.
Give me 7 guys without a defensive hole and continually 4 scorers on the court over 8 with a hole any year. all injuries aside.

iommi said:
OMG, and some people around these parts think I tend to lean negative. Cuseguy, please list the litany of concerns we have going into next year. Then try to list some positives going into next year. Can you do both, or just the former?

Plenty of positives.

Talented team.

Three fresh faces that will bring a lot of excitement.

A solid foundation in the front court.

Concerns?

A small roster. If Malachi departs (I sense he does), we have only 3 guards. That will work if everyone stays healthy. If not, both guards are playing close to 40 minutes a game.

Same goes for the front court. An injury at either forward spot and both starters are going to play close to 40 minutes a game.

Will Coleman's knees continue to hold up and, if so, does he show improvement?

What can we expect from Chukwu?

Can Howard develop an offensive game?

I've been an SU fan for a long time -- through thick and thin. I've earned the right be negative at times.

LGO!

Plenty of positives.

Talented team.

Three fresh faces that will bring a lot of excitement.

A solid foundation in the front court.

Concerns?

A small roster. If Malachi departs (I sense he does), we have only 3 guards. That will work if everyone stays healthy. If not, both guards are playing close to 40 minutes a game.

Same goes for the front court. An injury at either forward spot and both starters are going to play close to 40 minutes a game.

Will Coleman's knees continue to hold up and, if so, does he show improvement?

What can we expect from Chukwu?

Can Howard develop an offensive game?

I've been an SU fan for a long time -- through thick and thin. I've earned the right be negative at times.

LGO!

Those are valid questions. How far apart were your thoughts on the 2015-16 season and their actual result?

I'm still a little shocked by how well the 2015-16 team has done. At this point, I'm afraid to make predictions after how wrong I was about the 2015-16 squad.

So should we expect no more guards? We have 3 openings and it seems we are only recruiting Thompson and the Turk.

Are we really going to go into next year with Battle/Gillon/Howard and that is it. Man that would not be smart.

So should we expect no more guards? We have 3 openings and it seems we are only recruiting Thompson and the Turk.

Are we really going to go into next year with Battle/Gillon/Howard and that is it. Man that would not be smart.

You have to go to war with the army you have not the one you want.

Nune's article on rotation:

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/5...ball-2016-2017-rotation-starters-sans-malachi

P.S. I can't believe nobody like my comment on the bird in the hand comment. You guys have no sense of humor sometimes!

It's a logical concern, and why I keep referring to 2012-13 as the model. We had three guards that year and 8 scholarship guys for most of the year and we were successful. It's not ideal if someone get's hurt, but doesn't mean we can't have a good year.

It's a logical concern, and why I keep referring to 2012-13 as the model. We had three guards that year and 8 scholarship guys for most of the year and we were successful. It's not ideal if someone get's hurt, but doesn't mean we can't have a good year.
2o13 was an outlier. We had a lot of studs in those 8 guys.
1. MCW
2. Triche
3. Fair
4. Southerland
5. Keita

Bench: Christmas, Grant, Cooney

That type of 8 man rotation can win it all.

1. Battle
2. Gillon
3. Lydon
4. Roberson
5. Coleman

Bench: Chuwku, Moyer, Howard

This 8 man rotation I have a really hard time finding 60 PPG in conference play.

JB's short rotation policy is hurting us with Thompson. The kid doesn't want to be a bench player his first year if he could see himself getting minutes I think he would have committed by now. If we replaced Richardson with another decent guard we would be a top 25 team. I don't see a top 25 team with these 8 guys. Richardson leaving doesn't bother me it more annoys me our coaching staff didn't anticipate it and have plan B ready.

Having only 8 guys for an entire year also kills a team with foul trouble. Teams are going to have games with 15-20 fouls called and if you only have 8 guys to spread those fouls you are screwed. Depth is a real concern which is why I would take a kid like Bibby Jr. and tell him he isn't going to get 4 years unless he shows progress but we will gamble on him. The fact we pushed Chino and Kaleb Joseph and don't have replacements lined is horrible roster management.

2o13 was an outlier. We had a lot of studs in those 8 guys.
1. MCW
2. Triche
3. Fair
4. Southerland
5. Keita

Bench: Christmas, Grant, Cooney

That type of 8 man rotation can win it all.

1. Battle
2. Gillon
3. Lydon
4. Roberson
5. Coleman

Bench: Chuwku, Moyer, Howard

This 8 man rotation I have a really hard time finding 60 PPG in conference play.

JB's short rotation policy is hurting us with Thompson. The kid doesn't want to be a bench player his first year if he could see himself getting minutes I think he would have committed by now. If we replaced Richardson with another decent guard we would be a top 25 team. I don't see a top 25 team with these 8 guys. Richardson leaving doesn't bother me it more annoys me our coaching staff didn't anticipate it and have plan B ready.

Having only 8 guys for an entire year also kills a team with foul trouble. Teams are going to have games with 15-20 fouls called and if you only have 8 guys to spread those fouls you are screwed. Depth is a real concern which is why I would take a kid like Bibby Jr. and tell him he isn't going to get 4 years unless he shows progress but we will gamble on him. The fact we pushed Chino and Kaleb Joseph and don't have replacements lined is horrible roster management.

I have a lot of concerns about scoring next year as well that other people apparently don't have with the way the roster is currently constructed. I just don't see how you can play 40 minutes of Roberson/Chuwku/Coleman. That's two guys on the court at all times that can't score outside of 5 feet.

As far as plan B for Richardson's scoring, I think they have one, but his scoring may be replaced in the front court.

I have a lot of concerns about scoring next year as well that other people apparently don't have with the way the roster is currently constructed. I just don't see how you can play 40 minutes of Roberson/Chuwku/Coleman. That's two guys on the court at all times that can't score outside of 5 feet.

As far as plan B for Richardson's scoring, I think they have one, but his scoring may be replaced in the front court.
Defenses will flood the paint. If we aren't going to replace Richardson with another perimeter scorer.

Yurtseven is an intriguing prospect but he would be an ideal replacement for playing Roberson. I highly doubt JB would bench a Senior for a Freshman for defensive reasons. Yurtseven-Lydon-Chuwku would be an awesome front court but it would put a lot of pressure on Battle/Gillon/Howard to make perimeter shots and on top of that I don't see that lineup playing that much because JB will have loyalty to Coleman and Roberson for last year.

I get Thompson would be for 2018 minutes but if the kid saw a chance to play 10-15 MPG as a Fr. I think he is an SU commit by now. This staff let several other options go before Richardson from everything now on his case he was gone the entire time barring horrible measurables. The staff had to know this and now going into a year off a Final Four with positive momentum we have 3 guards and currently only 8 scholarship players.

That on top of Battle, Coleman, Roberson, Gillon will be gone after next year and all we have on the roster for 2018 right now is Lydon, Chuwku, Howard. Our 2017 recruiting has to be HUGE depth wise. We need 6-8 2017 commits and that team will be really young. We should be taking a transfer right now just for depth. I don't get it.

We have 1 guard for 2018. That is awful roster management. Thank goodness for Gbineje and this 2016 Final Four run.

Defenses will flood the paint. If we aren't going to replace Richardson with another perimeter scorer.

Yurtseven is an intriguing prospect but he would be an ideal replacement for playing Roberson. I highly doubt JB would bench a Senior for a Freshman for defensive reasons. Yurtseven-Lydon-Chuwku would be an awesome front court but it would put a lot of pressure on Battle/Gillon/Howard to make perimeter shots and on top of that I don't see that lineup playing that much because JB will have loyalty to Coleman and Roberson for last year.

I get Thompson would be for 2018 minutes but if the kid saw a chance to play 10-15 MPG as a Fr. I think he is an SU commit by now. This staff let several other options go before Richardson from everything now on his case he was gone the entire time barring horrible measurables. The staff had to know this and now going into a year off a Final Four with positive momentum we have 3 guards and currently only 8 scholarship players.

That on top of Battle, Coleman, Roberson, Gillon will be gone after next year and all we have on the roster for 2018 right now is Lydon, Chuwku, Howard. Our 2017 recruiting has to be HUGE depth wise. We need 6-8 2017 commits and that team will be really young. We should be taking a transfer right now just for depth. I don't get it.

We have 1 guard for 2018. That is awful roster management. Thank goodness for Gbineje and this 2016 Final Four run.

There are three guys guarateed to be back for 17-18 IMO. Moyer, Chukwu and Howard.

I agree we need 6-8 players next year, but we are involved with 10-15 to 50 players so that shouldn't be an issue.

JB's short rotation policy is hurting us with Thompson. The kid doesn't want to be a bench player his first year if he could see himself getting minutes I think he would have committed by now.

Every kid wants to have the most PT but I'm not sure I agree that the current roster would hurt us with Thompson. When you have 3 centers instead of 2 it gives the team the luxury of playing more aggressively on defense. With 2 guys your players have to be careful and not as aggressive. I think the Orange are Thompson's best option but my opinion is of course jaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom