2016 Mets | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

This team is a joke, 2-14 with risp, I can't even get on Familia, he was due to blow one. I am done with Granderson, Walker, Cabrera, these guys are killing us.

I don't think I've ever done something right 53 times in a row in my life so I'm not getting on Familia either. The Mets blew many opportunities to add to the lead. Too many players have all slumped at once. We need a new hitting coach.

When your best chance to score with a man on third is a wild pitch...well, that's not fun baseball.

This team is a complete and utter disgrace, they don't deserve to win anything.

I will say last year was really freaking cool though. One of the most enjoyable seasons (well, from August on) for any team I follow, ever.

I will say last year was really freaking cool though. One of the most enjoyable seasons (well, from August on) for any team I follow, ever.

It was, and this year has been a disaster to watch, I am honestly at the point where I am tired of watching this crap.

Familia again. And 1 of 11 Mets baserunners scored. It broke a 12 game stretch since the All Star break where the Mets alternated wins an losses. We were 15-7 in April, are 38-41 since.

We're not out of it but we're not doing anything.

Familia again. And 1 of 11 Mets baserunners scored. It broke a 12 game stretch since the All Star break where the Mets alternated wins an losses. We were 15-7 in April, are 38-41 since.

We're not out of it but we're not doing anything.

When they loaded the bases in the 7th, I knew they would find a way to blow it, Familia wasn't good, but it never should have come down to him. This team is going nowhere fast.

Count me in the group that is currently pleased with the team's performance. They have a better record then they did at this point last year. To quote Denny Green (RIP) 'they are who we thought there were'. No upgrades from last year's group during the off-season. Injuries always play a role in a long season but the depth has been poor. The lack of development of the younger players is concerning and at this point I'd rather position player prospects stay in AA Binghamton instead of going to PCL. PCL is the arena league of baseball.

Also the close games just haven't fallen the way they did last year. I assume the Mets will stay idle until the waiver trading deadline with the thought of Nationals and Marlins making non-waiver trading moves. Then they'll reassess whether to be buyers or sellers.

Count me in the group that is currently pleased with the team's performance. They have a better record then they did at this point last year. To quote Denny Green (RIP) 'they are who we thought there were'. No upgrades from last year's group during the off-season. Injuries always play a role in a long season but the depth has been poor. The lack of development of the younger players is concerning and at this point I'd rather position player prospects stay in AA Binghamton instead of going to PCL. PCL is the arena league of baseball.

Also the close games just haven't fallen the way they did last year. I assume the Mets will stay idle until the waiver trading deadline with the thought of Nationals and Marlins making non-waiver trading moves. Then they'll reassess whether to be buyers or sellers.

This team should be better than last year, they have Cespedes, Thor,Matz for a full year, the hitting with risp is historically low, its so tiring watch this team lose games like they did the last two days.

Mets biggest issues are Long, Collins and Alderson.. Long for his stupid hitting strategy which has been a disaster for everyone not named Murphy and Collins for not realizing that if his team can't hit with RISP he needs to start manufacturing runs the way other teams do with far less offensive talent. When was the last time we even tried a hit and run. Also Collins lineups are a disaster and his rigid adherence to baseball dogma instead of reality are really hurting bet Mets. It's baffling that Flores isn't starting every single game somewhere and that Granderson starts just about every game and that Conforto is never given the opportunity to hit lefties, etc.. etc...

Alderson for not signing Murph this offseason... you could argue that if Murph was a Met right now the Mets and Nats would switch places in the standings. I guess in that sense the biggest blame for this season goes to whoever decided not to resign Murph.

Next biggest issue is the injuries... this team is paying the price for last year's long run into November.

Next biggest issue is building a team of hitters who extremely inconsistent... outside of Cespedes not one of their hitters brings it every day, they are either hot or not. Not sure how much can be linked to Long's hitting philosophy but I find it odd that a bunch of guys who were decent hitters on their old teams all came to NYC and forgot how to hit.

If I'm the Mets I shutdown Matz to get his bone spur fixed so he is ready to go by spring training... shutdown Thor at the end of August. Try to trade Cespedes, Colon, Verrett and Familia for as much talent as possible. Make Reed the closer (you're not going to need Familia to save games because there won't be many games to save). Promote Herrera and Rosario and Smith, let Nimmo play every day. The lineup is Conforto, Nimmo, Granderson, Flores, Herrera, Rosario, Smith. D'arnaud. The record will be TERRIBLE but at least we can see what the kids can do and we would get a pretty good draft pick.

Next year the big 5 is all healthy and we can try to sign Cespedes in the off-season again if we really want him.

Mets biggest issues are Long, Collins and Alderson.. Long for his stupid hitting strategy which has been a disaster for everyone not named Murphy and Collins for not realizing that if his team can't hit with RISP he needs to start manufacturing runs the way other teams do with far less offensive talent. When was the last time we even tried a hit and run. Also Collins lineups are a disaster and his rigid adherence to baseball dogma instead of reality are really hurting bet Mets. It's baffling that Flores isn't starting every single game somewhere and that Granderson starts just about every game and that Conforto is never given the opportunity to hit lefties, etc.. etc...

Alderson for not signing Murph this offseason... you could argue that if Murph was a Met right now the Mets and Nats would switch places in the standings. I guess in that sense the biggest blame for this season goes to whoever decided not to resign Murph.

Next biggest issue is the injuries... this team is paying the price for last year's long run into November.

Next biggest issue is building a team of hitters who extremely inconsistent... outside of Cespedes not one of their hitters brings it every day, they are either hot or not. Not sure how much can be linked to Long's hitting philosophy but I find it odd that a bunch of guys who were decent hitters on their old teams all came to NYC and forgot how to hit.

If I'm the Mets I shutdown Matz to get his bone spur fixed so he is ready to go by spring training... shutdown Thor at the end of August. Try to trade Cespedes, Colon, Verrett and Familia for as much talent as possible. Make Reed the closer (you're not going to need Familia to save games because there won't be many games to save). Promote Herrera and Rosario and Smith, let Nimmo play every day. The lineup is Conforto, Nimmo, Granderson, Flores, Herrera, Rosario, Smith. D'arnaud. The record will be TERRIBLE but at least we can see what the kids can do and we would get a pretty good draft pick.

Next year the big 5 is all healthy and we can try to sign Cespedes in the off-season again if we really want him.

You make some good points, but this is a win now team, this franchise was completely awful for 6 years, after one good year, its not the time to shut it down, this team has to make at least the wild card.

Mets are cooked... Stick a fork in them. I hope they don't give up any pieces and in fact as I posted above I hope they start selling.

You make some good points, but this is a win now team, this franchise was completely awful for 6 years, after one good year, its not the time to shut it down, this team has to make at least the wild card.
I now know the reason the Giants only contend every other year... 162 games is too much and when you add three series of stressful intense playoff games, it puts these guys into the danger zone for injuries. Look at the Royals this year... Below .500.

New York Mets 2016 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

GP AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB BA OBP SLG OPS OWAR
Totals 102 3381 373 805 153 12 132 363 1378 316 851 26 .238 .309 .408 .717 --
Opponents 102 3422 361 857 166 11 90 343 1315 258 866 84 .250 .305 .384 .689 --

We are hitting worse than our great pitching staff is limiting opponents to. I'm amazed we have actually out-scored our opponents on the season- by 12 runs. Our record is what it should be, based on that.

They are talking about the Mets picking up Jay Bruce. That's exciting, (depending on what we have to give up for him), as he leads the NL in RBIs with 80 and had hit 25 home runs. He sound like just what we need.

I was looming at Bruce's stats: Jay Bruce Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com
I always look at the walk-to strike ratio. If a player doesn't walk much but strikes out a lot , he's doing the pitcher too many favors. He's not looking for something in his wheelhouse and then protecting the plate with stwo strikes as a good hitter should. He's just swinging at anything he thinks he might be able to lay a bat on. The Mets are full of such players and Bruce will be another one, (27W 83S). The difference is he appears to actually be able to get the good wood on more pitchers than everyone except Cespedes has been doing. I'm not sure who it would be but I might have liked a guy with a smarter approach to hitting. it might rub off.

Here are the 2016 Met's numbers: 2016 New York Mets Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com
Look at the walk to strike out ratios. There isn't a player on the team whose ratio isn't pathetic. The Team ratio is 1 to 2.7 (322 to 865)

Now look at the 1986 Mets: 1986 New York Mets Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com
Among the starters, only Strawberry, Foster and maybe Ray Knight have bad ratios. Overall the 1986 Mets had a 1 to 1.5 ratio (631 to 968).

Then I looked at the ratios for the American (4730 to 12167) and National (4977 to 12847), both 1 to 2.6. So maybe there is no one out there who really knows how to hit anymore.

Jay Bruce thoughts.

1. OK trade but I approve of management for at least trying.
2. Short term rental.
3. Don't mind giving up Nimmo as I think he's a fourth/AAAA outfielder more than a can't miss prospect but would rather had so.
4. Ceiling - Cliff Floyd
5. Floor - Jason Bay
6. Has a great RISP OPS
7. Won't exactly manufacture runs with his athleticism
8. Should let Cespedes see better pitches (when he gets healthly)
9. Defensively... should be interesting with the platoons

Jay Bruce thoughts.

1. OK trade but I approve of management for at least trying.
2. Short term rental.
3. Don't mind giving up Nimmo as I think he's a fourth/AAAA outfielder more than a can't miss prospect but would rather had so.
4. Ceiling - Cliff Floyd
5. Floor - Jason Bay
6. Has a great RISP OPS
7. Won't exactly manufacture runs with his athleticism
8. Should let Cespedes see better pitches (when he gets healthly)
9. Defensively... should be interesting with the platoons

I love getting Bruce, and if your just giving up Nimmo, its a steal. Honestly I would sit Granderson, and play Conforto in center. granderson has been awful all year. Its not really a rental because Bruce is signed for next year, for 13 mil, which is very reasonable.

Any time a terrible offensive team can make a trade for a career .249 hitter, they've gotta do it. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Any time a terrible offensive team can make a trade for a career .249 hitter, they've gotta do it. What could go wrong?
They made it worse by giving up Herrera instead of Nimmo. I am going to throw up now.

They made it worse by giving up Herrera instead of Nimmo. I am going to throw up now.

I don't like giving up Herrera, I thought he was our 2b of the future, I guess not, would have rather have given up Nimmo, but you have to give up something to get something.

Christ, I didn't realize this.

Man, last year was a lot of fun but this is a brutal club to root for.

I don't like giving up Herrera, I thought he was our 2b of the future, I guess not, would have rather have given up Nimmo, but you have to give up something to get something.

In this case, we have to give up something to get (and I'm trying to be fair to Bruce and give him the benefit of the doubt) nothing.

Why not just hold tight and not add another fairly expensive mediocre no-contact bat? These guys...

In this case, we have to give up something to get (and I'm trying to be fair to Bruce and give him the benefit of the doubt) nothing.

Why not just hold tight and not add another fairly expensive mediocre no-contact bat? These guys...

He does have 25 homers and 80 rbis, granted he plays in a great hitting park, we did need a bat.

He does have 25 homers and 80 rbis, granted he plays in a great hitting park, we did need a bat.

I dunno, we've already got a bunch of bats who are good at hitting in the mid .200s and don't get on base. And those guys are already paid for.

Don't mean to sound too negative, but this might've been an OK month to fold up the tent, recognize that this group of misfits isn't going to win anything, and protect our assets while planning to retool over the winter. Though I'll readily admit that they know a lot more about Herrera than I do - maybe he's not the asset I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom