2016 Mets | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

I dunno, we've already got a bunch of bats who are good at hitting in the mid .200s and don't get on base. And those guys are already paid for.

Don't mean to sound too negative, but this might've been an OK month to fold up the tent, recognize that this group of misfits isn't going to win anything, and protect our assets while planning to retool over the winter. Though I'll readily admit that they know a lot more about Herrera than I do - maybe he's not the asset I thought.

Sometimes adding a bat can spark the rest of the team, maybe Walker is out of it now, and Reyes can give us something when he comes back. They had to do something, they couldn't stay with status quo.

The Mets management sent their team a different message than the Yankees management sent their team. I wonder if it will impact the quality of the team's play in this series.

The Yankees team message is nobody is safe. There are plenty of kids ready to take yer job!

Well the Yankees effort wasn't impacted. it was a really good, back and forth game. Ultimately, the Mets bullpen didn't get the job done. Grandy looked bad on that last at bat.

Maybe Bruce and Niese will help.

Well the Yankees effort wasn't impacted. it was a really good, back and forth game. Ultimately, the Mets bullpen didn't get the job done. Grandy looked bad on that last at bat.

Maybe Bruce and Niese will help.

This met team is a complete failure, tonight sums up the mets season.

I think the move for Bruce was purely a panic trade... It's funny that as much as Mets fans bitch about the team not going for it, when the team does go for it the fans again bitch about it. Bruce is basically Lucas Duda except in outfield... when he's hot he's hot when he's not he's not. The good thing is Bruce has been hot this whole year so hopefully the Mets get the benefit of that but I suspect that the law of averages being what they are the Mets actually get the benefit of Bruce's regression to the mean. I'm not too shook up about Herrera... if the Mets really thought he was the future they wouldn't have gotten Walker this offseason. Also Herrera is having a pretty mediocre year in Vegas it looks like and he's never produced in the bigs when called up. I think he's basically another replacement level player.

I've posted this before but the Mets biggest mistake was not selling assets... between Reed, Familia and Cespedes I think they could have gotten some pieces for the future and restocked some of their pretty weak farm system.

Well, we are still 3 games over .500 in a season where more guys seem to be on the DL than on the roster. It's a frustrating team but hardly an awful one. I would have been very disappointing if the Mets had a garage sale. I've been through too many of those.

And Bruce is hitting .380 with runners in scoring position. That would sure be an improvement.

I dunno, we've already got a bunch of bats who are good at hitting in the mid .200s and don't get on base. And those guys are already paid for.

Don't mean to sound too negative, but this might've been an OK month to fold up the tent, recognize that this group of misfits isn't going to win anything, and protect our assets while planning to retool over the winter. Though I'll readily admit that they know a lot more about Herrera than I do - maybe he's not the asset I thought.

I've liked Herrera for a while. But I think the fact that they offered Zobrist 4 years to play second base tells you maybe they weren't in love with him, for better or worse.

The thing is, they are just 2.5 games out of the playoffs; if they get into the division series, with that pitching, you never know. And I have to think Fred is banking at least on the team not bottoming out and keeping citi somewhat filled over the next 2 months.

I'm terrified for the OF defense though

Well, we are still 3 games over .500 in a season where more guys seem to be on the DL than on the roster. It's a frustrating team but hardly an awful one. I would have been very disappointing if the Mets had a garage sale. I've been through too many of those.

And Bruce is hitting .380 with runners in scoring position. That would sure be an improvement.
If he can sustain it... nothing in his history has shown he can sustain it.

I'm cool with a garage sale this year if it leads to big things next year. What I don't want to see is the team hover around .500 and not make the playoffs as that to me is a wasted year. I think the philosophy in sports is go big whether you are tanking or are trying to win it all because being .500 gets you nowhere.

I've liked Herrera for a while. But I think the fact that they offered Zobrist 4 years to play second base tells you maybe they weren't in love with him, for better or worse.

The thing is, they are just 2.5 games out of the playoffs; if they get into the division series, with that pitching, you never know. And I have to think Fred is banking at least on the team not bottoming out and keeping citi somewhat filled over the next 2 months.

I'm terrified for the OF defense though

This is the first I've seen someone say this, but it was one of my initial thoughts.

They're getting close to the end of the tunnel with the Picard payments, I'm sure they want to keep the momentum going and not turn the ballpark into a tomb again. The ownership probably wants to maintain any sort of short-term relevance for that reason.

As for Herrera, I'm always disappointed to see a prospect go. But if he wasn't going to be the guy, so be it.

This is the first I've seen someone say this, but it was one of my initial thoughts.

They're getting close to the end of the tunnel with the Picard payments, I'm sure they want to keep the momentum going and not turn the ballpark into a tomb again. The ownership probably wants to maintain any sort of short-term relevance for that reason.

As for Herrera, I'm always disappointed to see a prospect go. But if he wasn't going to be the guy, so be it.

I will say I much preferred the original deal with Nimmo in place of Herrera. I don't see him being much of a big leaguer.

I have no source for my Wilpon statement, but A) I kinda hate the guy, and B) it only makes sense. They upped the payroll significantly this year, you know they were banking at least on having a competitive team this year, if not some more playoff home games.

I will say I much preferred the original deal with Nimmo in place of Herrera. I don't see him being much of a big leaguer.

I have no source for my Wilpon statement, but A) I kinda hate the guy, and B) it only makes sense. They upped the payroll significantly this year, you know they were banking at least on having a competitive team this year, if not some more playoff home games.

Jibes with my understanding - wouldn't be surprised if they were banking on a bump in ticket sales and need that extra revenue to make ends meet.

Jibes with my understanding - wouldn't be surprised if they were banking on a bump in ticket sales and need that extra revenue to make ends meet.

If this team doesn't wake up and start playing better, ticket sales are going to go down.

Herrera has been up 2-3 times and looked avg at best. i think it was time to cut bait and bruce is better than anyone they have playing RF in the system by a large margin. get cespedes healthy and then figure out center and i dont care if its nimmo/grandy/comforto. if reyes gets better then they actually might have an offense..

as bad as hit has been they blew 3 saves this week after going months without doing that. swap those 3 and they are in the playoffs. can they actually hit worse if bruce and cespedes are healthy?

dont they have a couple young infielders in bingo that are playing pretty well? losing the SS is the one thing that may hurt, but maybe flores playing more hits 260-270 which he is capable of.

If he can sustain it... nothing in his history has shown he can sustain it.

I'm cool with a garage sale this year if it leads to big things next year. What I don't want to see is the team hover around .500 and not make the playoffs as that to me is a wasted year. I think the philosophy in sports is go big whether you are tanking or are trying to win it all because being .500 gets you nowhere.

And how would a garage sale this year lead to big things next year? We spent years looking up at contenders and giving them some of our best players. Now we are contenders. We need to think of conserving what we have and adding pieces as we need them. Trading big leaguers for prospects assumes a lot.

Last edited:
So...no one has mentioned yet that Bruce allows the Mets a backup plan if (when) Cespedes opts out of his deal this winter. Middle of the order guys don't grow on trees. Plus Duda's stress fracture has taken longer to heal than originally thought. Perhaps if Cespedes comes back this winter guys like Duda and Granderson suddenly become valuable trade bait, although I'd love to see a 3-4-5 of Cespedes/Bruce/Duda next year. Wow.

And how would a garage sale this year lead to big things next year? We spent years looking up at contender and giving them some of our best players. Now we are contenders. We need to think of conserving what we have and adding pieces as we need them. Trading big leaguers for prospects assumes a lot.

Yeah, the window of opportunity is NOW. I'm glad they got a big time bat.

So...no one has mentioned yet that Bruce allows the Mets a backup plan if (when) Cespedes opts out of his deal this winter. Middle of the order guys don't grow on trees. Plus Duda's stress fracture has taken longer to heal than originally thought. Perhaps if Cespedes comes back this winter guys like Duda and Granderson suddenly become valuable trade bait, although I'd love to see a 3-4-5 of Cespedes/Bruce/Duda next year. Wow.

Adam Rubin was saying maybe the Mets don't even tender Duda next year, which seems like a bad idea to me. But they pretty much have to do something next year, even if Cespedes opts out, you have Granderson/Bruce/Conforto for 2 spots.

The defensive alignment is very curious. They're going to be stretching guys somewhere, and the lineup leans pretty heavy to the left.

Adam Rubin was saying maybe the Mets don't even tender Duda next year, which seems like a bad idea to me. But they pretty much have to do something next year, even if Cespedes opts out, you have Granderson/Bruce/Conforto for 2 spots.

The defensive alignment is very curious. They're going to be stretching guys somewhere, and the lineup leans pretty heavy to the left.

The outfield defense theoretically should be from Left to Right: Cespedes (whose defense in Left is Absurd) Conforto/Lagares, and Bruce in right.

That's hopefully what the 2017 outfield will look like. At some point if they're going to keep Conforto, they have to play him everyday, even if it means putting him in center. Lagares as a part-time player against lefties in center is also a good platoon, but it really needs to be a platoon that's 70/Conforto, 30/Lagares, instead of a 50/50 split.

I'm hoping they trade Granderson this offseason. Love the guy, but he's outlived his usefulness for this team. Plus his OF defense is one of the worst in the league. His arm is shot.

I hope if they don't bring Duda back next year, it's because they've already re-signed Cespedes. I could see them trying to trade for a catcher over the winter and putting TDA at first long-term. Reyes will play third. Cabrera will play short until Rosario is ready, perhaps as early as mid-2017. Maybe they bring back Walker.

No-one, and I mean no-one, could have predicted Murphy's breakout year like this. I've watched his entire career with the Mets, and the guy looked like a career .275 hitter. Plus he's been a man without a position his whole MLB career. Remember when the Mets put him in left to hide him? Yikes. Zero regrets that the Mets didn't bring him back. But to trade Dilson is troubling. Perhaps they think that Cecchini's ceiling is higher?

The outfield defense theoretically should be from Left to Right: Cespedes (whose defense in Left is Absurd) Conforto/Lagares, and Bruce in right.

That's hopefully what the 2017 outfield will look like. At some point if they're going to keep Conforto, they have to play him everyday, even if it means putting him in center. Lagares as a part-time player against lefties in center is also a good platoon, but it really needs to be a platoon that's 70/Conforto, 30/Lagares, instead of a 50/50 split.

I'm hoping they trade Granderson this offseason. Love the guy, but he's outlived his usefulness for this team. Plus his OF defense is one of the worst in the league. His arm is shot.

I hope if they don't bring Duda back next year, it's because they've already re-signed Cespedes. I could see them trying to trade for a catcher over the winter and putting TDA at first long-term. Reyes will play third. Cabrera will play short until Rosario is ready, perhaps as early as mid-2017. Maybe they bring back Walker.

No-one, and I mean no-one, could have predicted Murphy's breakout year like this. I've watched his entire career with the Mets, and the guy looked like a career .275 hitter. Plus he's been a man without a position his whole MLB career. Remember when the Mets put him in left to hide him? Yikes. Zero regrets that the Mets didn't bring him back. But to trade Dilson is troubling. Perhaps they think that Cecchini's ceiling is higher?

Conforto in center for any extended period of time just isn't feasible to me. I agree he has to play, I just think him in CF wouldn't work. If Yo is back next year (that's a pretty big if i think) i think he gets more time in CF, like he did this year before the injuries. He can handle center better than Conforto, but I don't think either guy is good at all there.

I think Granderson is likely to be moved in the winter, he is still a solid hitter, and i think in LF you can hide the arm a lot more, but there doesn't seem to be a fit for him on the team. I think he will have some trade value.

I hope Reyes is not an every day player next year. I don't think he's any good at this point; third base is a position I think they need to look to upgrade in the winter. The FO seemed to sour on Dilson, for whatever reason. Cecchini might be an average player at second base?

For as disappointing as this season has been, they're a game and a half out of a playoff spot. hard to believe

Keep in mind with Legares: Every catch he makes that the others wouldn't is a double or a triple. You need to add that to his offensive stats. I remember when he first took over in center field, he made a huge difference in the team. Fielding, especially in center, is under-rated.

Last edited:

I think its possible the move Conforto to 1b.

Yeah, the window of opportunity is NOW. I'm glad they got a big time bat.
The big time bat just struck out with bases loaded and took strike 3.

What window are we talking about? Noah is not right, Matz is not right and needs major surgery, Harvey is out for the year, Wheeler might pitch in September. Duda basically out for the year, Cespedes playing on one leg, Lagares out till mid September, Wright done for the year, Conforto lost at the plate, Darnaud and Plawecki lost at the plate... This team other than deGrom is underperforming almost every position. Time to hit reset and sacrifice a goat or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom