2016 Mets | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

The big time bat just struck out with bases loaded and took strike 3.

What window are we talking about? Noah is not right, Matz is not right and needs major surgery, Harvey is out for the year, Wheeler might pitch in September. Duda basically out for the year, Cespedes playing on one leg, Lagares out till mid September, Wright done for the year, Conforto lost at the plate, Darnaud and Plawecki lost at the plate... This team other than deGrom is underperforming almost every position. Time to hit reset and sacrifice a goat or something.

The big time bat just singlehandedly won the game for us last night, which is what big time bats do. They produce offense. You're one of those knee-jerk monday morning QB fans, which is what you can't be in baseball.

The window is now, and next year. Harvey and the rest of our pitching staff will still be under contract. Wheeler will be back. Maybe they give Harvey a team friendly deal once it's clear he can still pitch again.

Our pitching keeps the window open, we need to field a capable lineup for the rest of this year and in 2017 to make sure it stays open. And FYI, bone spurs are NOT major surgery. A good 30-40% of the league pitch with them.

]
The window is now, and next year. Harvey and the rest of our pitching staff will still be under contract. Wheeler will be back. Maybe they give Harvey a team friendly deal once it's clear he can still pitch again.

And FYI, bone spurs are NOT major surgery. A good 30-40% of the league pitch with them.

Scott Boras is his agent. No chance for a team friendly deal.

I read Jeff Passan's The Arm which stated the severity of bone spurs in elbows are never known until the patient is opened up (which was a surprise to me with all the healthcare technology we have now). The good news is when the doctors get in there they will be able to assess their UCLs (Matz's second one) and have a prediction on how it will hold up.

Last edited:
The big time bat just singlehandedly won the game for us last night, which is what big time bats do. They produce offense. You're one of those knee-jerk monday morning QB fans, which is what you can't be in baseball.

Our pitching keeps the window open, we need to field a capable lineup for the rest of this year and in 2017 to make sure it stays open. And FYI, bone spurs are NOT major surgery. A good 30-40% of the league pitch with them.
If it's not major surgery then why did they say Matz would be out for the year if he had it removed? This was pre-all star break which too me implies at least a 3 month recovery period... Is that not major?

Nothing knee jerk here... If I was I wouldn't be a Mets fan for the last 30+ years. To me Bruce is no different than D'arnaud or Walker or Duda... They are streaky guys who can be cold or hot and give up way too many at bats when they are cold. You can't build your team around guys like that... You need dudes who battle every at bat and make pitchers work. The Mets have too few guys like that and Bruce historically hasn't been one of those guys either.

If it's not major surgery then why did they say Matz would be out for the year if he had it removed? This was pre-all star break which too me implies at least a 3 month recovery period... Is that not major?

Nothing knee jerk here... If I was I wouldn't be a Mets fan for the last 30+ years. To me Bruce is no different than D'arnaud or Walker or Duda... They are streaky guys who can be cold or hot and give up way too many at bats when they are cold. You can't build your team around guys like that... You need dudes who battle every at bat and make pitchers work. The Mets have too few guys like that and Bruce historically hasn't been one of those guys either.

Agreed. We need Fonzies and Oleruds, not Bruces. I guess that's why I've been a little impatient with this bunch - it's hard to watch a team full of guys like that.

Glad he got it done last night, though.

Agreed. We need Fonzies and Oleruds, not Bruces. I guess that's why I've been a little impatient with this bunch - it's hard to watch a team full of guys like that.

Glad he got it done last night, though.

That's why i like Loney over Duda. Duda will hit like Babe Ruth for a week 2-3 times a year and have prolonged slumps in between time, (it was he who actually got the Mets going last year with one of his streaks- Cespedes got it going the second week). But Loney gives you somehting eveyr day and is a better fielder, as well.

That's why i like Loney over Duda. Duda will hit like Babe Ruth for a week 2-3 times a year and have prolonged slumps in between time, (it was he who actually got the Mets going last year with one of his streaks- Cespedes got it going the second week). But Loney gives you somehting eveyr day and is a better fielder, as well.

Same - if I had a pick a favorite personnel move this year (since spring training), it'd be the Loney signing. And I like Duda. But Loney's the kind of guy around whom you can build a winner.

Let's not act like injuries haven't completely de-railed this team this year.

Here's a list of people who've spent time on the DL.

d'Arnaud
Duda
Cabrera
Cespedes
Lagares
Wright
Flores
deGrom
Harvey
Henderson

So 40% of our rotation and over 80% of our lineup has missed time this season, often substantial time. We got really lucky with injuries last year, other than Wright. This year, not so much.

Let's not act like injuries haven't completely de-railed this team this year.

Here's a list of people who've spent time on the DL.

d'Arnaud
Duda
Cabrera
Cespedes
Lagares
Wright
Flores
deGrom
Harvey
Henderson

So 40% of our rotation and over 80% of our lineup has missed time this season, often substantial time. We got really lucky with injuries last year, other than Wright. This year, not so much.

Injuries haven't helped, but Loney has been great for us, the problem is guys like Conforto and Granderson who we were counting on haven't gotten in done, and Cespedes is too hurt to play baseball, but is fine to play golf.

even bad teams tend to have a few game run.. they are long over due to win 2-4 in a row and they would have had the bullpen which is been solid not blown 3 games in a week.

to still be only 2 out after all this doesnt mean its time to give up hope.. addto that this stretch has been againts miami/wash/st louis/cubs and now detroit who are all playing well. the Col series was a killer but Familia/Reed werent going to be perfect

even bad teams tend to have a few game run.. they are long over due to win 2-4 in a row and they would have had the bullpen which is been solid not blown 3 games in a week.

to still be only 2 out after all this doesnt mean its time to give up hope.. addto that this stretch has been againts miami/wash/st louis/cubs and now detroit who are all playing well. the Col series was a killer but Familia/Reed werent going to be perfect

The next 9 games after the Tigers series is against The Padres and Dbacks, if this team wants to make the playoffs, they need to run off a 7-2 or 8-1 streak over those games.

The next 9 games after the Tigers series is against The Padres and Dbacks, if this team wants to make the playoffs, they need to run off a 7-2 or 8-1 streak over those games.

I'm always more concerned with how my team plays than who they play. I remember a couple of years ago they had a rough west coast swing but were looking forward to playing Arizona, who easily had the worst record in baseball. They swept the Mets. They are all major league teams and they can all beat you. If they have their best pitcher pitching, they are a better team than their record says. And if you are just not getting it done, you can't depend on the opposition to get it done for you.

I don't even know what to say anymore, we are inventing ways to lose games. The Tigers tried to hand us the game, and we choked again. This season is going nowhere.

I don't even know what to say anymore, we are inventing ways to lose games. The Tigers tried to hand us the game, and we choked again. This season is going nowhere.

Didn't see it- watching the Olympics.

I'm done, season over, this team is completely lifeless.

Coming home form the Chief's game last night, I listened to the Mets game as the D-Backs took the lead in the top of the 7th. Howie Rose was talking about how Arizona had the worst bullpen in the league so I felt that the game was not over. Indeed, we hot a two run homer in the 9th inning.- the next night. And then we still didn't win. This is supposed to be the "soft" part of the scheudle. But Like I said in an earlier post: it's not who we are playing. It's how we are playing.

Rooting for the Mets this year has made me feel like one of those Victorian parents who had photos taken with their deceased children so they could remember them.

View attachment 73012
latest

View attachment 73011

Yes, but Yankees were expected to be fringe at best. I'm looking forward to seeing these kids play and getting rid of the dead weight. Mets are suffering a bad WS hangover.

Yes, but Yankees were expected to be fringe at best. I'm looking forward to seeing these kids play and getting rid of the dead weight. Mets are suffering a bad WS hangover.

True, but the Yankees have a lot of dead weight, we will see how good the prospects they got are.

Coming home form the Chief's game last night, I listened to the Mets game as the D-Backs took the lead in the top of the 7th. Howie Rose was talking about how Arizona had the worst bullpen in the league so I felt that the game was not over. Indeed, we hot a two run homer in the 9th inning.- the next night. And then we still didn't win. This is supposed to be the "soft" part of the scheudle. But Like I said in an earlier post: it's not who we are playing. It's how we are playing.

Rooting for the Mets this year has made me feel like one of those Victorian parents who had photos taken with their deceased children so they could remember them.

View attachment 73012
latest

View attachment 73011
That picture is just disturbing.

That picture is just disturbing.

It was very common in those days: victorian post mortem pictures - Google Search

It helps to understand why they did it. Cameras were not common back then and you had to go to a professional photographer for a picture. The average person couldn't afford to do that too often. When someone died, that person, especially if it was a child, had probably never had their picture taken before. This was a way of preserving their image. Once cameras became common, there were plenty of pictures taken when people were alive and no one would think to take a picture of them when they were not because that isn't what they wanted to remember. Spirtualism was popular at that time as well and I suspect preserving an image of the dead was regarded as a good thing to do by people who believed in that as well. Cameras seemed to be a way of defying time and keeping people 'alive' after a fashion. It didn't seem as ghoulish to them as it did to us.
The Truth Behind This Photo is Shocking, But It Used to Happen All of the Time. OMG...

Trying to keep the faith for this lifeless Mets team caused such images to appear in my thoughts. It's sad and sentimental in this stillborn season. At least we get to wait until next year.

It's almost annoying how the other teams are keeping them in this wild card race because it doesn't seem like it's going to happen at all.

This is a very interesting off-season

Now we are losing the Syndergaard game, 0-3. We've scored only on Johnson's home run in the last 18 innings. They jsut said that the Mets are last in infield hits and productive outs, among all the other things they are last in.

Maybe we should get Carlos Gomez off the scrap heap. That's where we got Loney.

Now we are losing the Syndergaard game, 0-3. We've scored only on Johnson's home run in the last 18 innings. They jsut said that the Mets are last in infield hits and productive outs, among all the other things they are last in.

Maybe we should get Carlos Gomez off the scrap heap. That's where we got Loney.

Its time for Terry to go, the team has quit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom