2016 Mets | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

I'm more concerned about the dormant offense and the shitty bullpen... it seems no part of the Mets is looking sharp coming out of Florida. Last year begin with a hot start that got them through a crappy summer (until August). I don't know if they have that hot start in them this year.

Spring training means nothing. The team they're breaking camp with this year is so much better than the team they broke camp with last year it's ridiculous.

Warning: Major overreactions to one game against the WS champs

We aren't going to score a single run this season
Cespedes is a dumbass
The Royals are cheating somehow

Cespedes is a dumbass
I wish we had opened with any other team in baseball but the Royals... however I am legitimately worried about the bats. Very very few good at bats and a TON of bad ones. Of course it doesn't help that Volquez was pitching like cy young

Cespedes is a dumbass

I was thinking of making a knee-jerk post like this. Glad you broke the ice.

I'm really sorry that we signed Cespedes. Caught lightning in a bottle last summer, should've run far away from this guy after that.

Ton of crappy at-bats.

Hate these national broadcasts and having SNY blacked out like nothing else in sports. Don't care about Shulman's reputation as some kind of pro, he just yammers on and on about insipid generalizations. Do these three do any homework? What an unpleasant production to sit through, making a bad game worse.

Its fitting that we start the game with cespedes dropping a fly ball that my mom could have caught.

We go from Good Cooney and Bad Cooney to Good Cespedes and Bad Cespedes.

Cespedes is Cespedes... The good will outweigh the bad. Bigger concern is Wright, he wasn't able to make plays a normal 3rd baseman can and he can't seem to catch up to a fastball anymore. If his name was anything other than Wright he wouldn't be starting.

I wish we had opened with any other team in baseball but the Royals... however I am legitimately worried about the bats. Very very few good at bats and a TON of bad ones. Of course it doesn't help that Volquez was pitching like cy young

Who are all the bad bats? The Mets lineup basically has no holes in it. Everyone is likely to be at least average for their position, with most being above average. They're basically swapping Walker/Cabrera for Murphy/Tejada from the lineup that was basically the best lineup in the NL over the final 2 months of the season.

I was thinking of making a knee-jerk post like this. Glad you broke the ice.

I'm really sorry that we signed Cespedes. Caught lightning in a bottle last summer, should've run far away from this guy after that.

Ton of crappy at-bats.

I don't love the idea of Cespedes in CF, but for a one year deal (I'm pretty sure he's going to opt out) it's fine I think. It may be more money than he's "worth" in a vacuum but the Mets have a chance to do something this year so if the alternative is De Aza in CF against right handed pitching, then it's a no brainer to me.

Who are all the bad bats? The Mets lineup basically has no holes in it. Everyone is likely to be at least average for their position, with most being above average. They're basically swapping Walker/Cabrera for Murphy/Tejada from the lineup that was basically the best lineup in the NL over the final 2 months of the season.

I don't love the idea of Cespedes in CF, but for a one year deal (I'm pretty sure he's going to opt out) it's fine I think. It may be more money than he's "worth" in a vacuum but the Mets have a chance to do something this year so if the alternative is De Aza in CF against right handed pitching, then it's a no brainer to me.
I didn't say we have bad bats I said we took a lot of bad at-bats last night. Just like last year against the Royals the Mets went for the big play rather than trying to make the basic play. Perfect example is the top of the 9th when all Wright had to do was put the ball in play and the game is tied. Cespedes wasn't even close in most of the at bats I saw... although I guess he did get a single. Duda always hits right into the shift. D'Arnaud seemed as bad as last year, etc...

Also Conforto had a sure triple and turned it into a double... he would have scored on the ground out by I think Cabrera if he had been on 3rd already. Mets just don't make the little plays that the Royals make.

I didn't say we have bad bats I said we took a lot of bad at-bats last night. Just like last year against the Royals the Mets went for the big play rather than trying to make the basic play. Perfect example is the top of the 9th when all Wright had to do was put the ball in play and the game is tied. Cespedes wasn't even close in most of the at bats I saw... although I guess he did get a single. Duda always hits right into the shift. D'Arnaud seemed as bad as last year, etc...

Also Conforto had a sure triple and turned it into a double... he would have scored on the ground out by I think Cabrera if he had been on 3rd already. Mets just don't make the little plays that the Royals make.

You're right, it's Monday morning and I can't read.

The Royals are super annoying, seems lik every ground ball they hit finds a hole, every blooper drops, etc. That's going to be exacerbated against a team like the Mets which, for all their strengths, doesn't have a great defense at all.

I get what you're saying about Wright in the 9th, but Wade Davis is one of the nastiest pitchers in baseball. It's not that easy to hit a fly ball off him.

You're right, it's Monday morning and I can't read.

The Royals are super annoying, seems lik every ground ball they hit finds a hole, every blooper drops, etc. That's going to be exacerbated against a team like the Mets which, for all their strengths, doesn't have a great defense at all.

I get what you're saying about Wright in the 9th, but Wade Davis is one of the nastiest pitchers in baseball. It's not that easy to hit a fly ball off him.
The Royals seem like they are the exact opposite of the Mets... fast, aggressive and fundamentally sound. I would love to watch them play if I was a Royals fan.

I'm actually pretty optimistic on the Mets based on what I saw last night. Winning that game was always going to be really really hard given the context yet the Mets battled hard and were right there at the end with a chance to win. Harvey pitched really really well and the relief did a really good job. Last night showed me that there really isn't that much separating the two teams... the Royals don't give away at bats, much more aggressive on the base paths and make fewer mistakes. It's more in the heads than a talent gap.

Yeah the Royals really are the opposite in many ways. The Mets are built around a great starting pitching staff that gets a ton of strikeouts, a pretty solid lineup, with little team speed, average to below defense, and a questionable bullpen. The Royals have meh starting pitching, a lights out bullpen, great defense, and lots of speed.

Yeah the Royals really are the opposite in many ways. The Mets are built around a great starting pitching staff that gets a ton of strikeouts, a pretty solid lineup, with little team speed, average to below defense, and a questionable bullpen. The Royals have meh starting pitching, a lights out bullpen, great defense, and lots of speed.
The "meh starting pitching" is my bigger concern... the mets made them seem like chris young was cy young last fall and last night wasn't much better with Volquez. I am concerned that pitchers have figure out that Mets hitters don't stay disciplined and are taking advantage of that. Small sample size though so I'll give it a month or so before pressing the panic button.

The "meh starting pitching" is my bigger concern... the mets made them seem like chris young was cy young last fall and last night wasn't much better with Volquez. I am concerned that pitchers have figure out that Mets hitters don't stay disciplined and are taking advantage of that. Small sample size though so I'll give it a month or so before pressing the panic button.

Yeah I'm not worried at all. It's a solid lineup top to bottom. I don't think they have a very undisciplined lineup. Cespedes, sure. But guys like Granderson, Conforto, Wright, Duda are all patient at the plate and generally don't get themselves out.

Anyone else want to see Conforto and Darnaud higher in the lineup?

Anyone else want to see Conforto and Darnaud higher in the lineup?

D'Arnaud in the 8th spot is kinda madness. I don't want to make a huge deal about lineups, but against right handed pitching I would like to see something like

Grandy
Wright
Cespedes
Duda
Conforto
D'Arnaud
Walker
Cabrera

Kid was fantastic yesterday. That's the best opening day (yeah, I'm discounting that made-for-TV BS on Sunday night) start I can remember since Bobby Jones in the mid-'90s.

D'Arnaud in the 8th spot is kinda madness. I don't want to make a huge deal about lineups, but against right handed pitching I would like to see something like

Grandy
Wright
Cespedes
Duda
Conforto
D'Arnaud
Walker
Cabrera
If the starters still relatively healthy, there is every reason to think all of them will have double digit homers. Believe that would be a first for the Mets.

Flores even has a chance to do as the top infield backup.

Bad defense, little speed, lots of power, top notch starting pitching, questionable relief pitching.

In many ways they are the anti-Royals.

Kid was fantastic yesterday. That's the best opening day (yeah, I'm discounting that made-for-TV BS on Sunday night) start I can remember since Bobby Jones in the mid-'90s.

93 MPH sliders are not fair. The first one he threw to Morales may actually have been illegal.

If the starters still relatively healthy, there is every reason to think all of them will have double digit homers. Believe that would be a first for the Mets.

Flores even has a chance to do as the top infield backup.

Bad defense, little speed, lots of power, top notch starting pitching, questionable relief pitching.

In many ways they are the anti-Royals.

I would probably expect that, to be honest. Wright might even be the biggest question mark. And I think Granderson, Duda, Cespedes, Confoto, and D'Arnaud could all hit 20.

The offense sucks we aren't making the playoffs

That was a pathetic offensive display this weekend, seriously the Phillies are trash, and we made their starters look like Koufax and Drysdale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom