2016 Mets | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

The only reason we got reed was because he self-destructed as a closer wherever he was before. I don't think Reed is the answer...

Reed is a much different pitcher than the guy in Arizona. Warthen is a magician.

That assumes a lot. If Reed is so great, wouldn't he be good trade bait?
I'm sure Sandy will listen on both, but they'll probably get bigger offers for Familia. On the other hand, Reed has the higher arb figure, which could motivate the Wilpons in that direction.

I'm sure Sandy will listen on both, but they'll probably get bigger offers for Familia. On the other hand, Reed has the higher arb figure, which could motivate the Wilpons in that direction.

Sandy and the Wilpons first course of action better be to back up the Brinks truck to the Cespedes house, otherwise they will be a massive revolt at Citi Field.

The real question for 2017 will be whether Harvey gets traded at the deadline or not, assuming he comes back healthy. With Lugo and Gsellman the Mets have rotation depth (again assuming everyone comes back healthy) and a real dearth of high end positional talent. We all know there is no way that Harvey is signing with the Mets once he hits free agency... there is too much bad blood between him and the organization and him and the fanbase. Might as well maximize his value and trade him... Yanks seem to have a lot of good positional talent coming up. Just saying.

Bumgardner has given up 3 runs on 50 pitches through 2, why didn't this happen a week ago

The real question for 2017 will be whether Harvey gets traded at the deadline or not, assuming he comes back healthy. With Lugo and Gsellman the Mets have rotation depth (again assuming everyone comes back healthy) and a real dearth of high end positional talent. We all know there is no way that Harvey is signing with the Mets once he hits free agency... there is too much bad blood between him and the organization and him and the fanbase. Might as well maximize his value and trade him... Yanks seem to have a lot of good positional talent coming up. Just saying.

Lugo and Gsellman were 4-9 in triple A this year, 9-4 in new York. That seems like a freak thing. I wouldn't trade an ace assuming that those two were going to be quality major league pitchers.

Lugo and Gsellman were 4-9 in triple A this year, 9-4 in new York. That seems like a freak thing. I wouldn't trade an ace assuming that those two were going to be quality major league pitchers.

You'd have until the trade deadline to see if they're for real.

Gsellman I can buy a lot more than Lugo. Gsellman I think will be a solid middle of the rotation pitcher. That doesn't mean I'm rushing to trade an arm though.

I think the best time to trade Harvey was probably over last winter. he needs to rebuild a lot of value now

I was advocating trading Harvey last year; we'd be selling low right now. Maybe mid-season if he has a bounce back first half. They are not going to move any of the top end starting pitching until they see who is healthy and performing during the first half. If they were going to move any starting arm in the offseason, Lugo and Gsellman are never going to be worth more than they are right now . . . I'm not saying trade them (not with the health questions of the top end guys), just that you have to expect those two to regress to their means pretty quickly next year.

I was advocating trading Harvey last year; we'd be selling low right now. Maybe mid-season if he has a bounce back first half. They are not going to move any of the top end starting pitching until they see who is healthy and performing during the first half. If they were going to move any starting arm in the offseason, Lugo and Gsellman are never going to be worth more than they are right now . . . I'm not saying trade them (not with the health questions of the top end guys), just that you have to expect those two to regress to their means pretty quickly next year.

I kinda think Gsellman is pretty close to what he was last season. The stuff seemed legit. Lugo, not as much. Maybe a 7th inning guy

If I thought Harvey was going to be a Met forever I'd say never trade him but the reality is that he's not going to sign a long term contract with the Mets and outside of maybe Conforto we really don't have any young position players who project as upper echelon guys in the next year or so. If we don't fix that all of the great pitching is going to be wasted as we continually have to piece together a roster. That's my main reasoning behind trading Harvey at the trade deadline. Also by then we'll have a better handle on de Grom and Matz.

I kinda think Gsellman is pretty close to what he was last season. The stuff seemed legit. Lugo, not as much. Maybe a 7th inning guy
I don't know about that . . . he pitched like a front end of the rotation starter but he looks like a back end guy to me. It would be interesting to see what happens the 2nd or 3rd time through the league, but he won't get that chance unless one of the star arms goes down again next year.

I don't know about that . . . he pitched like a front end of the rotation starter but he looks like a back end guy to me. It would be interesting to see what happens the 2nd or 3rd time through the league, but he won't get that chance unless one of the star arms goes down again next year.

Really? Live fastball and he had a really good slider (like apparently every pitcher does when he works with Warthen) he had a 2.42 ERA, obviously I wouldn't project that. But his 3.40 xFIP? Seems somewhat reasonable to me.

Guess Familia's lost a little trade value...
Great start to off season... baseball is handing out some pretty steep suspensions for domestic violence. I'm guessing at least a 30 gamer so I guess Reed will have time to prove he can close. I think the Mets needed to upgrade the pen anyways so this will hopefully force their hand. Honestly they should trade the bum... not a fan of wife abusers.

If this was his first encounter with the law, he was not the instigator and as it seems the physical injuries were relatively minor, I'd be inclined to give Familia the benefit of the doubt.

HOWEVER there are reasons to feel the opposite way: 1. Reyes' example shows that a player needs to keep his temper in check and 2. HE WAS PART OF AN ANTI DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CAMPAIGN! IDIOT!

Mets Closer Jeurys Familia Arrested On Domestic Violence Charge

If this was his first encounter with the law, he was not the instigator and as it seems the physical injuries were relatively minor, I'd be inclined to give Familia the benefit of the doubt.

HOWEVER there are reasons to feel the opposite way: 1. Reyes' example shows that a player needs to keep his temper in check and 2. HE WAS PART OF AN ANTI DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CAMPAIGN! IDIOT!

Mets Closer Jeurys Familia Arrested On Domestic Violence Charge

That is the kicker in all of this, I am willing to wait until the facts come out, but this looks really bad.

Great news for next year, Cespedes is officially back 4 years 110 mil, the Mets had to get it done.

Every time this thread is updated I expect it to be very bad news.

This isn't bad news, so that's nice. I'm not particularly jazzed about it because I don't think Cespedes is a winner or a high-effort player, but he does hit the ball hard. Guess we're going to see some outfielders moved.

Every time this thread is updated I expect it to be very bad news.

This isn't bad news, so that's nice. I'm not particularly jazzed about it because I don't think Cespedes is a winner or a high-effort player, but he does hit the ball hard. Guess we're going to see some outfielders moved.

Had to bring him back, you saw how bad the offense was last year without him. I could see the Mets trading Bruce, one year 13 mil, someone would take that contract. Would love to see an upgrade at Catcher, I am tired of Darnaud,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom