2016 Mets | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Only the Mets would do this.
This is old news but good to see that the Mets were really interested in a AAA affiliation with a team based in New York. When Rochester went off the board, they re-upped with Las Vegas for 2 years.

New York Mets, Las Vegas 51s extend affiliation deal

That is exactly when the Syracuse agreement with the Nationals expires. I hope this is not a coincidence. The Nats are rumored to want to have a AAA team in Richmond, which only has a AA team right now.

The best way for the Chiefs to solve their long term attendance problems is to become affiliated with the Mets. Las Vegas has consistently had good teams since working with the Mets, which always helps.

Hope it happens. We are fortunate to have a AAA franchise here, especially given how bad attendance has been. Getting a long term affiliation with a team that makes sense needs to happen. Let's do it!

And woo hoo on the Cespedes news. Let's turn some of our extra outfielders into relief pitchers and corner infielders now.

This is old news but good to see that the Mets were really interested in a AAA affiliation with a team based in New York. When Rochester went off the board, they re-upped with Las Vegas for 2 years.

That is exactly when the Syracuse agreement with the Nationals expires. I hope this is not a coincidence..

Every deal I believe is for 2 years, so it is a coincidence. But i really hope they get out of Vegas.

Every deal I believe is for 2 years, so it is a coincidence. But i really hope they get out of Vegas.
That is absolutely not true. The Chiefs signed a 4 year agreement with the Nats in late 2013.

Nationals extend agreement with Syracuse Chiefs through 2018

I was really unhappy at that time because it prevented Syracuse from being a contender (like Rochester was) to land the Mets when their AAA affiliation was open after this past season.

Let's hope it finally happens in 2018 (the agreement would be reached in late in 2017).

That is exactly when the Syracuse agreement with the Nationals expires. I hope this is not a coincidence. The Nats are rumored to want to have a AAA team in Richmond, which only has a AA team right now.

The best way for the Chiefs to solve their long term attendance problems is to become affiliated with the Mets. Las Vegas has consistently had good teams since working with the Mets, which always helps.

Hope it happens. We are fortunate to have a AAA franchise here, especially given how bad attendance has been. Getting a long term affiliation with a team that makes sense needs to happen. Let's do it!

And woo hoo on the Cespedes news. Let's turn some of our extra outfielders into relief pitchers and corner infielders now.

It makes no sense having a team in Vegas, its a logistical nightmare trying to ship players back and forth, they need to find someway to get their AAA team on the east coast somewhere.

It makes no sense having a team in Vegas, its a logistical nightmare trying to ship players back and forth, they need to find someway to get their AAA team on the east coast somewhere.
They want to. The Chiefs should want to get involved with the Mets. It makes a lot more sense than the Nationals. The Mets are on tv and radio every day here; people know the team and follow it.

You mentioned the transportation problems between NYC and Las Vegas it would solve.

The setup between AAA and AA (Binghamton is about an hour south on I81) is even more ideal.

Let's get 'er done!

That is absolutely not true. The Chiefs signed a 4 year agreement with the Nats in late 2013.

Nationals extend agreement with Syracuse Chiefs through 2018

I was really unhappy at that time because it prevented Syracuse from being a contender (like Rochester was) to land the Mets when their AAA affiliation was open after this past season.

Let's hope it finally happens in 2018 (the agreement would be reached in late in 2017).

Ha, that's weird. Learn something new.

"The four-year player development contract is the first-ever doled out by the Nationals beyond their standard two-year pacts, according to General Manager Mike Rizzo."

in 2 seasons, he's carried us to a pennant and back-to-back postseasons. hard to be much more of a winner than that

Our offense was a disaster without him, the guy is the ultimate winner, not many people can handle Ny, he thrives in it.

Eh, we'll see how he does without the incentive of playing for a contract. He hits and he's liked by his teammates, so that's nice, but I think he's a lazy guy and a defensive liability. Lousy baserunner, too. There's a reason he played for four teams in four years and didn't have clubs jumping to sign him for multiple years.

Eh, we'll see how he does without the incentive of playing for a contract. He hits and he's liked by his teammates, so that's nice, but I think he's a lazy guy and a defensive liability. Lousy baserunner, too. There's a reason he played for four teams in four years and didn't have clubs jumping to sign him for multiple years.

Can't agree with you there. He's meh in CF but the guy is, on the whole, a very good left fielder.

He's had a weird career path, the A's were really good, and they traded him for an ace, Jon Lester. (and coincidence or not, immediately started playing worse once they got rid of him) Then the Tigers traded Rick Porcello, who somehow won the Cy Young this year, for him. And the Mets gave up the guy who was rookie of the year this year for him. So it's not like he's been given away.

I think he's a lazy guy and a defensive liability.
possibly . . . if he has to play CF, then yes, he's a bit of a liability. As a LF, he's a plus defender, but one of Conforto, Grandy or Yo is going to have to start out of position in CF. I wonder if they will be able to keep Lagares now, or if they'll spin him, too, along with Bruce. Yo's deal probably means they are done on the FA market this year, so they'll have to use trades to fill the other holes.

Since they got Cespedes, the Mets are 32 games over .5000 when he played and 5 games under .500 when he didn't. The 4 year deal is good because he'll only be 34 at the end of it. Beyond that, you don't know about a free-swinging hitter.

The Chiefs were the Met's first triple A farm club in 1962. it would have been great if we'd stuck with them over the years.

possibly . . . if he has to play CF, then yes, he's a bit of a liability. As a LF, he's a plus defender, but one of Conforto, Grandy or Yo is going to have to start out of position in CF. I wonder if they will be able to keep Lagares now, or if they'll spin him, too, along with Bruce. Yo's deal probably means they are done on the FA market this year, so they'll have to use trades to fill the other holes.

I think they should be able to keep Lagares, I'm guessing some kind of a platoon with Lagares and Grandy in CF?

One thing we know, this FO really doesn't value defense a whole lot.

Since they got Cespedes, the Mets are 32 games over .5000 when he played and 5 games under .500 when he didn't. The 4 year deal is good because he'll only be 34 at the end of it. Beyond that, you don't know about a free-swinging hitter..

And for whatever it's worth, Cespedes really improved his BB rate this year. Of course I'm biased, but I think he's matured as a hitter

I think they should be able to keep Lagares, I'm guessing some kind of a platoon with Lagares and Grandy in CF?

One thing we know, this FO really doesn't value defense a whole lot.

And for whatever it's worth, Cespedes really improved his BB rate this year. Of course I'm biased, but I think he's matured as a hitter

That works for me, I am very intrigued with Lagares, I think when healthy he could be a good player, he is a terrific defensive player.

He is an Andrew Jones calibur Cf, he so smooth out there.

I think his defense has been down a little the last 2 years, still very good though. I think he's the starting CF against lefdt handed pitching next year. Which right now is the best role for him

The guy went all out for a ball last year, crashed into the stands and busted up his leg, an injury that never got right the rest of the season. His laziness is WAAAY overrated, IMO.

And if you call him a defensive liability, when he's playing his best position, which is GOLD GLOVE defense in LEFT, which is where he'll be for the remainder of this contract, you don't watch much baseball. He's easily one of the top five best defensive Left Fielders in baseball. He was played way out of position in Center last year.

IMO the OF will look like this left to right: Ces, Grandy/Lagares, Conforto.

Conforto should be the starting RF for this team for the next 5-7 years.

Bruce now gets moved, obviously. Rumor is the Tigers have discussed a JD Martinez/Bruce swap.

IMO the OF will look like this left to right: Ces, Grandy/Lagares, Conforto.

Conforto should be the starting RF for this team for the next 5-7 years.

I would be very comfortable with that, assuming we can turn Bruce into something useful.

Bruce now gets moved, obviously. Rumor is the Tigers have discussed a JD Martinez/Bruce swap.

I haven't heard this one? I think Martinez was the backup option to Cespedes, Conforto was the rumored priced.

Martinez is basically better than Bruce in every way, I can't imagine the Tigers would do that swap.

I don't think I want to trade Bruce, he is going into his walk year, I could see him having a big year.

I don't think I want to trade Bruce, he is going into his walk year, I could see him having a big year.
Means he has higher value to other teams.. the last thing the Mets need is another all or nothing power hitter. They need to get some guys who can play station to station baseball and manufacture a run or two. I will be pissed if they trade Grandyman instead of Bruce because he at least has some ability to small ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom