2016 OOC Schedule Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

2016 OOC Schedule Thoughts

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/2/25/8108151/scheduling-for-2016
Orangeman did a nice job at the link above. Quoting his article below...let's discuss.

From the list below we need to look at one game to fill out our OOC schedule in 2016 (preferably away)

A lot of us thought a two for one with us playing @ Georgia State over Labor Day weekend of 2016 would be a good move for a variety of reasons. They’ve booked a home and home with Ball State taking that option away, but FBS Schedules now has the Colgate game moved up to September 3. I don’t remember seeing any news on that, and they don’t have a story link, but they’re usually on top of things so I’ll take their word for it. We now have two weekends in September open next year. Here are our options for road games (which we need our last OOC game to be) if we agree A) no more P-5’s with ND already on the schedule to go with Clemson, FSU, Va Tech and Louisville in conference and B) the Mountain West isn’t worth playing on the road. * = One spot left, yet to schedule an FCS team.
Week 2:

AAC- Houston*, SMU*, Tulane*
C-USA- FAU, Marshall*
MAC- SUNY-Buffalo*, Toledo*, Western Michigan*
Sun Belt- None

Week 4:

AAC- UCF*, UConn
C-USA- FAU, Louisiana Tech*, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion*, UTEP*, UTSA*
MAC- Ball State, SUNY-Buffalo*, Ohio*, Toledo*
Sun Belt- Georgia State*, Louisiana-Monroe*

Another option would be finagling a late season game with Army at Yankee Stadium since they don’t have anyone slated to play in the Bronx yet. Give me a three game or more Yankee Stadium-Dome-West Point series, and I’ll be happy to take an earlier Bye. Otherwise, I don’t like putting my faith in the conference to get those two early slots filled.

2016 ACC opponents with openings:

Week 2- @BC, FSU, Louisville, @Wake Forest
Week 4- Possibly @BC, Clemson, NC State, @Pitt

Lots of possibilities for an away game: Buffalo, UConn, UCF, Tulane, Georgia St, Old Dominion

I'd try a 2 for 1 first with them hosting us away in '16 (UB, WMU, Old Dominion, GaSt, Toledo)

Thoughts

Last edited:
Would love a 2 for 1 with Army somehow, though it's a little bit of a tight squeeze this late in the game. Why not UConn or Buffalo. Keep it in NYS or appease the NYC crowd with UConn.

ill take the away game in 16 but whoecver we schedule has to be able to come to carrier dome in 17

Would love a 2 for 1 with Army somehow, though it's a little bit of a tight squeeze this late in the game. Why not UConn or Buffalo. Keep it in NYS or appease the NYC crowd with UConn.
id rather not play UConn unless they are willing to move there home game to yankee stadium. @ fau makes sense since fsu will be home that year

UCF would be a fight. I don't want to give UConn the attention and invite comparisons for local recruiting. I think we need to be more careful regionally. Army or UB OK, but UConn has bigger aspirations then those two right now. Let them die on the vine.

Vote for UB.

Stadium is 1.5 miles from my kids apartment.

Offer Army home/home
Try for Toledo or Western Michigan for 2 for 1 as we recruit Chicago and that is game in the Midwest for those recruits.
I would try to play Cincinnati home/home
No interest in ever playing UConn again ever even if they played their home game in Yankee Stadium.

Worst case scenario you play Buffalo home/home and hope that the state of NY notices and gives us support when we try for a new stadium or revocation.

UCF would be a fight. I don't want to give UConn the attention and invite comparisons for local recruiting. I think we need to be more careful regionally. Army or UB OK, but UConn has bigger aspirations then those two right now. Let them die on the vine.
Being afraid to play UConn is a 1-way ticket to mediocrity. SU would murder UConn.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/2/25/8108151/scheduling-for-2016
Orangeman did a nice job at the link above. Quoting his article below...let's discuss.

From the list below we need to look at one away game and one home game to fill out our OOC schedule.

Lots of possibilities for an away game: Buffalo, UConn, UCF, Tulane, Georgia St, Old Dominion

I'd try a 2 for 1 first with them hosting us away in '16 (UB, WMU, Old Dominion, GaSt, Toledo)

Thoughts
Buffalo or Army are good choices for me, Army preferred. But if it were about recruiting, I would say Georgia State, Old Dominion, Toledo. I would love to see us prove that we are serious about recruiting and playing in Atlanta, and to strengthen our presence in Ohio. We should absolutely tap that talent pool IMO. Old Dominion would get us more exposure in VA, a place I would love to crack into.

TexanMark said:
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/2/25/8108151/scheduling-for-2016 Orangeman did a nice job at the link above. Quoting his article below...let's discuss. From the list below we need to look at one away game and one home game to fill out our OOC schedule. Lots of possibilities for an away game: Buffalo, UConn, UCF, Tulane, Georgia St, Old Dominion I'd try a 2 for 1 first with them hosting us away in '16 (UB, WMU, Old Dominion, GaSt, Toledo) Thoughts

Why not 2 home OOC?

Why not 2 home OOC?
I think the author (as do I) believes SU isn't into paying $500-800k for a guaranteed game versus a mid-major...therefore you try for 2 for 1s or 1 for 1s (especially for schools in recruiting hotbeds like FL).

So basically Cuse needs an away OOC game to balance the schedule.

TexanMark said:
I think the author (as do I) believes SU isn't into paying $500-800k for a guaranteed game versus a mid-major...therefore you try for 2 for 1s or 1 for 1s (especially for schools in recruiting hotbeds like FL). So basically Cuse needs an away OOC game to balance the schedule.

I wouldn't pay 500-800k either. Even a Buffalo would play for less than that. I'm still a believer that should be playing as many home games as possible regardless who they are.

Being afraid to play UConn is a 1-way ticket to mediocrity. SU would murder UConn.
Not that I don't think we'd win, but we squeeked one out against Nova. That area is becoming a recruiting target for us, and I woudl rather avoid even close calls in areas where we want to control the recruiting environment. Connecticut is becoming an area we seem to enjoy cherry picking of late. If the recruits there feel we can easily beat the local, let them continue to believe that. We can only lose ground by not doing what we are expected to do against a UConn team. We gain nothing even if we whip them, especially if that is the expectation to begin with.

Buffalo or Army are good choices for me, Army preferred. But if it were about recruiting, I would say Georgia State, Old Dominion, Toledo. I would love to see us prove that we are serious about recruiting and playing in Atlanta, and to strengthen our presence in Ohio. We should absolutely tap that talent pool IMO. Old Dominion would get us more exposure in VA, a place I would love to crack into.
Over the years we've snatched a couple of good players out of the Tidewater VA area, which produces a lot of talent.

Over the years we've snatched a couple of good players out of the Tidewater VA area, which produces a lot of talent.
Another reason I wish the ACC/NCAA would get off their butts and allow for pod scheduling. We should be playing in VA and Miami every couple years.

We had some VA kids during GRob's stint, including a DT who was pretty good. Seemed to drop off after the Whites left town.

Not that I don't think we'd win, but we squeeked one out against Nova. That area is becoming a recruiting target for us, and I woudl rather avoid even close calls in areas where we want to control the recruiting environment. Connecticut is becoming an area we seem to enjoy cherry picking of late. If the recruits there feel we can easily beat the local, let them continue to believe that. We can only lose ground by not doing what we are expected to do against a UConn team. We gain nothing even if we whip them, especially if that is the expectation to begin with.

I think you are overthinking it...we are killing them in recruiting now. We recruit Florida...we are playing USF this year...same thing...can't be afraid to play AAC teams. USF is actually recruiting well...much better than UConn.

UConn is good because it gives CNY fans a drivable road game. I'd set up a 1-1-1 series with them. Play the off game at Met Life or YS.

Last edited:
Yup...play ODU. We could demand and get a 2 for 1 with them. Their stadium is under 30k...they have a VG fan base and fill the stadium.

I would really love for SU to schedule a 2 for 1 with Georgia State - really need SU to play in Atlanta and try to erase that horrible memory from the last time they visited. Would be great for helping cement some of the recruiting relationships they've built in the Atlanta area too.

I think you are overthinking it...we are killing them in recruiting now. We recruit Florida...we are playing USF this year...same thing...can't be afraid to play AAC teams. USF is actually recruiting well...much better than UConn.

UConn is good because it gives VNY fans a drivable road game. I'd set up a 1-1-1 series with them. Play the off game at Met Life or YS.

Maybe I am overthinking. I am not shying away from AAC teams. I am OK with USF or Houston. UConn though, I just don't want to see them or their fanbase have even a glimmer of hope. USF is a better football commodity in a better and more fertile recruiting area. Less to be hurt by it, more to be gained. I just think you lock up your own recruiting area by locking out the outsiders, not by beating on the locals. Connecticut prospects already know we're at a higher level than UConn. I am more in favor of playing Army, or Maine, or UB or UMass if we are looking for a regional opponent.

If we are looking for a higher tier regional opponent, I would rather see us go head to head with Rutgers. There's so much more risk, but also so much more to be gained. Understand, I don't want to do this yet, but I would prefer that to UConn, as long as we think we are ready.

Another reason I wish the ACC/NCAA would get off their butts and allow for pod scheduling. We should be playing in VA and Miami every couple years.

We had some VA kids during GRob's stint, including a DT who was pretty good. Seemed to drop off after the Whites left town.
Shamarko too.