2017 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread...

He showed he has some pop left in his bad last season. I think it's a really good move on a one year deal.

He showed he has some pop left in his bad last season. I think it's a really good move on a one year deal.

works for me

Five teams with the most work to do at the winter meetings

3. New York Yankees
The Yankees have done the best rebuilding job of any team in baseball over the past year thanks to their Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller trades at the July trade deadline. Now they’re looking forward to improving their major league roster to supplement their strong core of major league-ready youngsters and one the game's best farm systems.

There are three main areas they're focusing on: getting a quality starting pitcher, a closer and a designated hitter. They’re planning to improve the team through free agency, but will be careful to make sure they have complete flexibility in two years when big-time free agents like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, and ace pitchers with opt-out clauses, such as Clayton Kershaw, could be on the open market.

This offseason, the Yankees would like to either bring Aroldis Chapman back or sign Jansen. They understand that both are projected to break Mariano Rivera’s record as the highest-paid closer in baseball history as each is expected to get in the $90 million range over five years.

The Yankees are also trying to land Hill, the best starting pitcher on this market, and Edwin Encarnacion to be their designated hitter. In addition, the Yankees certainly have the farm system to trade for whatever they need, but it appears they are determined to hold on to all of their top prospects. Therefore, expect their trip to the winter meetings to be about writing checks rather than announcing trades.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time to put The Boss in the Hall of Fame

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking down all 30 MLB front offices

New York Yankees

Financial wherewithal: High

GM: Brian Cashman

Who makes the final baseball call: Cashman

Ownership involvement: Approves all significant transactions.

Cashman has a strong vision of how he wants to the build the Yankees and for the most part has been able to do it his way, but owner Hal Steinbrenner is involved in the day-to-day operations of the baseball team, which often means Cashman has to be able to work multiple angles at the same time. For example, last July at the trade deadline Cashman wanted to sell, but Steinbrenner had not made up his mind. Therefore -- according to opposing GMs -- Cashman was working on trades to “buy” and “sell” so that at the last minute he could go in whichever direction Steinbrenner wanted. Cashman has proven he can win the World Series with the biggest checkbook, but now, as he has built one of the best farm systems in baseball, he’s prepared to show he can do it through player development, scouting, trades and fewer free agents. The Yankees will be an interesting team to watch over the next three years, because Cashman will have the farm system to trade, the cash to sign the stars and less revenue sharing to pay, thanks to the new CBA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Braves, LHP Lindgren agree to 1-year deal

Source: Ex-Cards slugger Holliday heads to Yanks

For in-between Yankees, Matt Holliday better fit than Edwin Encarnacion

Holliday is fine by me too.

I think that also keeps a spot open for Austin as the 4th/5th OF & backup 1B.

still praying they can find a way to trade DLsbury.

Andrew Marchand ESPN Senior Writer
The Yankees have made it clear that they are interested in Aroldis Chapman, but at what level will they be willing to dive in. With Mark Melancon off the board to the Giants, the Yankees have less options if they don't sign Chapman. Even with that said, it still seems unlikely the Yankees would extend to five years at big money for Chapman. At four years, they could be in the ballpark, but it is not a certainty they would win a bidding war.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN
For now, it appears two clubs, maybe more, are all-in in star closer market--Yankees and Marlins--with Chapman and Jansen still on the board

Add Rich Hill to the ever growing list of "Guys the Yankees aren't getting." Hill goes to the Dodgers, leaving the free agent starting pitching market very barren. Jason Hammel or Doug Fister could be possibilities.

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
I just spoke to Aroldis Chapman about his contract negotiations; told me he has not evaluated any offers yet and will do so this week. Chapman: "The only thing I have expressed is that I would like a six-year contract. I know that doesn't mean that I will get it, but that's what I would like to sign. There are rumors out there that I requested $100 million and that's not true at all. I believe he who deserves something, does not need to demand it."

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
Aroldis Chapman to me on whether the Cubs have reached out: "The Cubs have never expressed any interest in resigning me, as far as I know."

Chapman: Want 6 years; Cubs are not interested

Aroldis Chapman told ESPN's Marly Rivera he wants a six-year contract. I would be shocked if the Yankees gave him that. I'm not even sure they would go five years, but we'll see.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said on SiriusXM that Aroldis Chapman "is going to be costly. We're prepared to a degree to compete for that."Chapman told ESPN he is looking for a six-year deal.

Yankees want Aroldis Chapman back, but on their own terms

Scherzer, Posey, McCutchen commit to WBC

MLB Rumor Central: Yankees pursuing Luis Valbuena?

Jim Bowden ESPN Senior Writer
Closers market: Kenley Jansen is expected to sign before Aroldis Chapman does. The Marlins, Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and Nationals still among the clubs in need of a closer. The Yankees have Chapman as their first choice. Other closers available include the Royals Wade Davis and free agent Greg Holland who is represented by Scott Boras, while the Rays will at least listen on Alex Colome.

Jayson Stark ESPN Senior Writer
A GM in the bullpen market on where he thinks the contracts of Aroldis Chapman & Kenley Jansen will end up: 5 years, $85-95 million. Wow

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said that he has offers on the table to both Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen. Since Cashman has said this publicly, I would suspect he is making it known to try to exert a little leverage over the team's first choice, Chapman. Chapman would not cost the Yankees their first round pick, while Jansen would.

Source: Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has signed off on spending the money to sign Kenley Jansen or Aroldis Chapman if his baseball people can reach a deal.

A GM in the bullpen market on where he thinks the contracts of Aroldis Chapman & Kenley Jansen will end up: 5 years, $85-95 million. Wow

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said that he has offers on the table to both Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen. Since Cashman has said this publicly, I would suspect he is making it known to try to exert a little leverage over the team's first choice, Chapman. Chapman would not cost the Yankees their first round pick, while Jansen would.

Source: Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has signed off on spending the money to sign Kenley Jansen or Aroldis Chapman if his baseball people can reach a deal.
Considering the way the game is managed these days, it was just a matter of time before elite closers were commanding deals like this. Look at the money and years that gets thrown at some pretty mediocre starters and position players.

Considering the way the game is managed these days, it was just a matter of time before elite closers were commanding deals like this. Look at the money and years that gets thrown at some pretty mediocre starters and position players.

Agreed...Closers have become a big commodity these days and the elite ones command top dollar and years...Imagine if MLB had a hard cap like the NFL...

Source: Teams waiting on Chapman decision

Chapman rejoining Yanks on 5-year, $86M deal

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
Aroldis Chapman just told me he was between the Miami Marlins and the New York Yankees in the end, decided to go to the Yankees. Chapman: "I love the (Yankees) organization. They welcomed me with open arms and that's why I decided to go back, I was hoping I had a chance to go back and it happened." "Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don't it's because they never got the chance."

ESPN Stats and Information
Since Aroldis Chapman's first season in 2010, he has 2,241 pitches at 100 MPH or faster, more than the next 7 pitchers on the list of MLB leaders, COMBINED. This past season Chapman was throwing harder than ever. He threw 111 pitches that reached 103 MPH, almost 4 times as many as any other pitcher in a season in the last five years - and that was him, too.

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
Correction: Aroldis Chapman's trade provision is no-trade to a West Coast team (not only California)

Yankees will regret Aroldis Chapman's contract -- someday

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLB Rumor Central: Orioles eyeing Yankees OF Brett Gardner in trade?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Yankees have made the Matt Holliday signing official. He'll DH, while also backing up in the outfield and first base.

Holliday: Yanks opportunity 'really appealing'

Chapman.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom