2018 Class

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by gmacfor3, Jan 8, 2017.

1. gmacfor3

gmacfor3 Walk On

Not to look to far ahead, as its possible our current team is turning the corner and many (unknown) possibilities remain for our 2017 class. But I'm interested to hear from our insiders what they think our 2018 class might look like. Maybe it will turn out to be the big class we thought we were getting in 2017? I know on many of them it's too early to tell, but are there any we may be able to get early commitments from. Assuming Eric Ayala reclassifies to 2017, who are the guys we are going hard after? I've heard we have good connections with Hamier Wright, Robby Carmody, and Jahvon Quinerly. I would love it if we could land all three of those guys, especially if they signed early. I've heard names like Cam Reddish, Simi Shittu, and Naz Reid, but with the ways things have seemingly played out the last few years, those names seem like guys who will end up at a Kentucky or Duke. Maybe I'm wrong. What about guys like Moses Brown, Jalen Smith, Louis King, Brandon Slater, Luther Muhammad, Sid Wilson, Jeenathan Williams, Khalid Moore, etc.? I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts from those who are plugged into the recruiting scene.

Cusefan0307 likes this.
  2. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

We literally missed on all our A and B targets this cycle so I'm not getting my hopes up for anyone you just mentioned. We need to get our mojo back.

Fly Rodder, orangecuse and two3zone like this.
  3. TinyManInside

TinyManInside Stop looking at me SWAN.

I want Jahvon Quinerly to commit to SU.

4. orangefog

orangefog All American

I think you deserve what you want. And I agree, he is the point guard I want in 2018.

5. Francis03

Francis03 All American

First move is to not make GMac the "lead recruiter" for a gang of prospects in 2018 like he was for 2017. Hop and Red need to cook and do the heavy pulling like before.

6. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Do you think this is going to happen?
    Will JB make the change or are we in trouble until Hop is the HC?

7. dasher

dasher Living Legend

I have no doubt that Red and Hop will be the lead recruiters for '18

ROCcuse, Fly Rodder, torque and 4 others like this.
  8. nyucuse

nyucuse Walk On

Thanks Dash, that provides some comfort. Should we read that as a certainty rather than a hopeful opinion? And does that mean JB / Hop have come to the conclusion that GMac at this point at least, is not cut out to be #1 on the recruiting trail?

9. dasher

dasher Living Legend

A very hopeful opinion. JB isn't dumb. He knows how things turned out this year.

10. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

We stretched ourselves thin for 2017 because JB and Hop were with USA BB in Rio.
    GMac was given a chance to step up. We weren't successful. Now I am glad Dasher is saying don't expect the same for 2018.
    The failures of 2017 are going to necessitate us dip into the 5th year market for guards one more cycle.

two3zone likes this.
  11. dasher

dasher Living Legend

Maybe juco as well.

Janner likes this.
  12. nyucuse

nyucuse Walk On

I hope you are right, but JB has a history of loyally sticking with less than stellar recruiting assistants longer than he should. Louie Orr to name one.

2017 isn't the first year GMac has produced less than stellar results, but he remained out there. Really hope that changes this year, but until I hear it based on the staff's confirmation, I am not holding my breath.

two3zone likes this.
  13. NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven Living Legend

Hey Francis, general question for you. Your addition to this recruiting board has been fantastic, so my question is related to recruiting, since you have so much knowledge about it. I imagine it's quite a process, so no need to get too detailed, but just curious about the general steps that are taken between going out and looking for a player and that player being on campus.

What does recruiting entail? How many visits do coaches have to see players' games, meet with them and family, etc? When can you start recruiting a player?

14. cuseguy

cuseguy Hall of Fame

Saw a report on Quinerly the other day and he didn't even mention SU as a school recruiting him.

Hmm.

15. 50YRsofCuse

50YRsofCuse Walk On

You know that this has been talked about numerous times. Recruiting is more than finding a potential player and that player coming to the school to play. It is about discovering a player, building a relationship (not just with the player but also with the parents/coaches) nurturing that relationship, bringing the player in for a visit or visits, follow-ups and closure. GMAC has done several of these very well. The closure is a joint effort with the head coach taking the lead and supported by the lead recruiter. All of this does not include the numerous calls and time involved.

From what I can tell from this site and other sites, GMAC has nailed the relationship part of the process on a number of his recruits. The closure part has yet to be realized. The closure part is also impacted by external events (other schools, teammates, perceptions, environment and so on) besides the head coach. I do believe that GMAC has done his best to bring recruits to the door.

jr4750 and pfister1 like this.
  16. jr4750

jr4750 All American

ha, joins a recent blog post by Robby Carmody's father which doesn't list Syracuse a few days after he visited.

17. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

At least they aren't calling us their dream school!

Shark58 and two3zone like this.
  18. Janner

Janner Scout Team

Dasher is this statement based on any information you might have/received?

I for one would love to go the JUCO route next year if there is a someone(s) that may be able to step in and contribute right away. As we have seen with the 5th yr players, there still is a large learning curve both offensively (mostly attributed chemistry and understanding of the roles the coaches expect them to play) and defensively with the zone which JB has mentioned on a number of occasions. With Juco's there is a good chance you have that player for multiple years allowing them to become more engrossed in the system.

19. pfister1

pfister1 All American

I agree with this to a degree and haven't really understood all of the criticism leveled at GMAC. There are a lot of factors at play that determine whether or not you will be successful with a particular recruit. There has even been the suggestion that a current player has worked at cross purposes with us on one or more recruits. Heck we may be getting stoned by guys because GMAC is the lead, but not because they don't like GMAC, but because he's not the big guy and they don't feel sufficiently loved if JB isn't the guy doing the work.

The big failure in recruiting probably has more to do with the degree to which JB has backed off and tried to hand responsibilities to others. Ultimately its his team until he retires and my guess is that kids are going to want to feel the love from him, not just have him give them a little attention at the end.

RF2044 likes this.
  20. jr4750

jr4750 All American

I agree with this as well. Some have argued that we need non-Cuse guys on staff, and maybe we do just to refresh things a bit. However, I always saw having passionate and beloved alums selling the school as a huge bonus. GMAC is perhaps the most beloved player in cuse history. I can't believe he wouldn't be an effective recruiter. I guess he got a little hard lesson with Quade, and I imagine he will be better for it. He's young, well spoken, and kids can youtube him. On top of that, Cuse sells itself. Now, it will get harder when JB is gone, as we no longer can sell our HOFer, but, I am not too worried about GMAC.

AlaskaSU likes this.