2021 year end movie review | Syracusefan.com

2021 year end movie review

upperdeck

Living Legend
With the year over I went back over to see what 2021 movies I missed that i still wanted to see. A few are still lingering as they left the theaters before it really opened back up and several have not gone to any real streaming service that doesnt require an extra payment. of those a few are still on my list

Copshop
F9
the card counter
belfast
venom
snake Eyes
escape room 2.
the Green knight

But Of what I saw my final review breakdown and I have a low bar i suspect

The blockbusters

No Time to Die (home run) great way to end

Spider-man (Home run) all around fun and the cameos are great

Shang-Chi (Home run) new char introduced was lots of fun

Black widow (Home run) backstory many wanted to see

Jungle Cruise (Triple) the rock doesnt try to make it too hard to watch but it was fun

Eternals (Triple) tough story, tried to do a lot and I thought it hit most of the marks

A quiet place 2 (Triple) Not sure if it was a money grab but it held on to most of the originals ideas

Dune (Double) Just meandered too much for me, visually though was nice

The Suicide Squad (Single) individually the chars where somewhat amusing but the rest was just a gory mess

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Home Run) a new story that brought back the memories of the original and in some ways better less campy

Free Guy (triple) Ryan Reynolds knows what his lane is and hits it

The Streamers

Gunpowder Milkshake (double) fun/goofy all i was looking for

Without Remorse (double) had its moments, hard to tell the complex books story

The Tomorrow War (double) couldnt quite pull off a triple

red notice (triple) again the leads played off well with enough story to keep it movie

Jolt (single) Although I do like seeing Kate as a badass

Army of the Dead (double) watchable story lots of action
Army of Thieves (double) I think it was better than the first in many ways

Kate (single) Though again I like Winstead and as Gemini man showed she can do action.

The vault (double) I like my heist movies

Finch (triple) Hanks knows his way around a signal man story

infinite (double) Whalburg does these action movies pretty well, just reached a bit far with the story trying for a triple on a low budget

TV One offs

Psych 3 (double) the chars are always fun as a fan of the show I would take one every year
Nash Bridges (double) they are slowing down, but I enjoyed that show and they are toying with a reboot
Jesse Stone (...) still waiting for the next one that has been years.. this is just my place holder..

The Thinkers

The Real Charlie Chaplin (triple) just a doc but it filled in a lot of pieces for me that i never really knew about. I would have liked a bit more movie clips cause I really like his films

The Dig (Home run) Interesting true story of early WW2 dig site in england..

The Power of the Dog (double) I see where some have it on top 10 lists and Cumberback is really good.. Still it takes a long time to even begin to tell you where its going and then its over

the Trench (Double) They got Daniel Craig to do this telling of the worst WW1 battle for Britain. Still it was not as much story as a telling of the sucky world of trench life

Minor Hollywood

Cry Macho (double) Clint is slowing down but the story wasnt too bad

The Marksman (Double) Liam back to back, again he knows what he can do, and does it well. entertaining and always has his moments
The Ice Road (Double)

Tick Tick Boom (Double) enjoyable. Nice music, in the end showed how hard that world is for everyone who goes down that route

In the Heights (Double) music was good, just felt like I was watching dance numbers for the sake of dance numbers over and over

Others

The Misfits (double) Pierce Brosnan turns out lots of movies and again I like Heist movies, had it moments but a bit over the top trying to be Oceans 11ish

Riders of Justice (Triple) Mads Mikkelson turns out these off budget movies that really are solid. Polar was electric in 2019. Artic in 2018 was amazing. This was so quirky but it was also moving and violent and you have to not mind subtitles.

The Wrath of Man (triple) What is a year without a Statham or Guy Ritchie movie.. Action some twists decent story rinse/repeat and all I really need.

Last edited:
The French Dispatch was my favorite film of the year, although I don’t see as many as I once did. I watch far more series these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom