2023 NFL draft picks by state | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL draft picks by state

Just crazy that with nys population that the numbers are so far out of wack. A lot of discussions and conclusions can be made. I have to believe our lack of high quality competition and general reputation of nys football causes many of our best players to head to Florida or New Jersey in search of exposure. Still those players likely wouldn't make a great difference in the numbers.

Just crazy that with nys population that the numbers are so far out of wack. A lot of discussions and conclusions can be made. I have to believe our lack of high quality competition and general reputation of nys football causes many of our best players to head to Florida or New Jersey in search of exposure. Still those players likely wouldn't make a great difference in the numbers.
Here are the three players drafted out of NYS HS in this draft...

New York (3)​

Israel Abanikanda (Abraham Lincoln, Round 5)

SirVocea Dennis (Christian Brothers Academy, Round 5)

Titus Leo (Sheepshead Bay, Round 6)

Abanikanda was the only player we offered. He had a number of offers from P5 schools but wasn't close to a national recruit. As usual, we swung and missed with a NYC recruit.

Dennis had offers from Dartmouth, Colgate and Army out of HS. Went to prep school in NJ, where Pitt stumbled upon him and took him really late to fill out a bad recruiting class. Though I guess he also got offers from Maryland and Northwestern late.

He played QB in HS and made the adjustment to LB at prep school. SU had little presence in NJ at the time so it is understandable how they dropped the ball here.

Leo went to Wagner. As far as I can tell, they were his only offer.

The relative lack of interest in the three guys who got drafted might indicate NYS players are under recruited. I think it is reasonable to think more players from NYS were probably good enough to make the NFL but for various reasons were overlooked.

I wonder if players from NYS drop off the map due to academics most than other states? It seems like close to 50% of the top athletes in the state never get to college because of their grades/test scores.

Two from all of New England - both from Connecticut.
Not the most fertile recruiting territory, either.

Two from all of New England - both from Connecticut.
Not the most fertile recruiting territory, either.
12 from the state of Illinois is a shock to me. Woulnd't have expected them to be that high.

Here are the three players drafted out of NYS HS in this draft...

New York (3)​

Israel Abanikanda (Abraham Lincoln, Round 5)

SirVocea Dennis (Christian Brothers Academy, Round 5)

Titus Leo (Sheepshead Bay, Round 6)

Abanikanda was the only player we offered. He had a number of offers from P5 schools but wasn't close to a national recruit. As usual, we swung and missed with a NYC recruit.

Dennis had offers from Dartmouth, Colgate and Army out of HS. Went to prep school in NJ, where Pitt stumbled upon him and took him really late to fill out a bad recruiting class. Though I guess he also got offers from Maryland and Northwestern late.

He played QB in HS and made the adjustment to LB at prep school. SU had little presence in NJ at the time so it is understandable how they dropped the ball here.

Leo went to Wagner. As far as I can tell, they were his only offer.

The relative lack of interest in the three guys who got drafted might indicate NYS players are under recruited. I think it is reasonable to think more players from NYS were probably good enough to make the NFL but for various reasons were overlooked.

I wonder if players from NYS drop off the map due to academics most than other states? It seems like close to 50% of the top athletes in the state never get to college because of their grades/test scores.
There's also a bunch of NY kids who go out of state to play.

This has been discussed prior.

But yes, the state does a bad job building football programs and talent

I don't remember exactly but did Syracuse hold invite camps in 2020 (I doubt it) and 2021 (maybe?). Feels like summer camp invites can be a please where under-recruited NYS guys can show what they got.

In much of the state, football players have been replaced by soccer players.
Think back, are there that many pop warner programs functioning compared to 20 and 30 years ago?
Do school systems have the $$$ and coaches to put solid programs on the field?
4th most populous state in the country...something has changed/shifted considerably.

Basketball, lacrosse, soccer. Also, much of NY population, relative to other low producing states, are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants to whom American FB is not a big thing.

12 from the state of Illinois is a shock to me. Woulnd't have expected them to be that high.
I live in Illinois and it shocked me. There is some good football here but I never expected that number, even with the overall population as high as it is.

Soccer needs to be stopped. It’s like the nothing in the Neverending Story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom