2024 Bracketology / Selection Show | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Bracketology / Selection Show

I, for one, would prefer it if you don't leave. Reading the posts and not being one of the back and forth posters, I think you and Jeremy were, in part, talking past one another.

But to be fair, Jeremy only asked you to name the teams you would put ahead of Syracuse in the eye test, and for some reason you wouldn't. And that's fine. He asked again and you acted as if he wasn't appreciative of your work. He can speak for himself, but I don't think that's true.

Stay around. The tournament should be fun.
I also prefer you stick around.
Challenge with this type of communication. Messages pass in the night and one can read into intent and tone. I wish you all could pick up a phone and talk. Virtual shake of hands. Realize this is not a full time penalty. Maybe just a 1 minute slash. Plenty of fun stuff to discuss when the tournament get started.

Last post here forever. I promise.

The issue is that the only reason it ever got brought up in the first place was a misunderstanding. The two people consistently making brackets this season have Syracuse seeded 3rd based on objective data. Those same two people think Syracuse is either the 5th or 6th best team based on their subjective opinion. Stevens and I are not the committee, but if we were/we are representative of the actual committee, it is not in Syracuse's interests for this to be a subjectively chosen and seeded bracket, period.

The issue is that we established: 1) there was a misunderstanding, 2) my subjective opinion of Syracuse was only ever brought up because this misunderstanding 3) I do not want to discuss my subjective evaluation of teams any further because it is irrelevant. I said both parts of this multiple times. 4) Jeremy does not actually care what I think subjectively of Syracuse (said as much), because as I said it's irrelevant, 5) despite my continued pleas to let's move on, I am still being asked who I could possibly think is subjectively better than Syracuse besides Notre Dame, despite that this absolutely does not matter to the topic of this thread. (I am no one special, and it is outside my realm of expertise)
-

I don't really care whether Jeremy or anyone else is appreciative of my work or not. I am proud of my bracket work, and that's what matters to me. I do it for myself, because in theory I "like" doing them.
-

I have been putting probably 30-50 hours per week into watching games, doing evaluations, making brackets, discussing, answering questions since February. I do this in my free time. No one has ever or likely will ever pay me a dollar for doing this, and I do not want them to.

I started doing this years ago because I wanted to do it, see if I could apply the stuff that I had learned in college to this, and then it eventually turned into I wanted to see how good I could get at doing this stuff. "Maybe one day, I could be the best at this stuff, who knows?" I thought.

I am tired. I am really, really tired. I have been tired for 2+ weeks now in a way that I have not been since college. No matter how long I sleep at night, I have been waking up just absolutely out of gas the next day. This evening should have been a quiet one ahead of the busiest four days of the season. I barely ate dinner tonight because of what was going on here. I am still dealing with this now. At some point, I have to do what is best for myself/my health and withdraw from here. This is not the right environment for me to be having these discussions in. There is a place for everything. This is not that place.
-

If anyone thinks my brackets are useful, you know where to find them. And I'm glad they are helpful to you. If you have questions, we can maybe discuss those in the appropriate place.

If anyone thinks my brackets aren't worthy of being something to even use as toilet paper, sorry you feel that way and for wasting a little bit of your time that you spent looking at it, but maybe it will give you a nice clean wipe the next time you go.

I’m going to delete my previous post because it was overly harsh and Jameson fueled

I’m going to delete my previous post because it was overly harsh and Jameson fueled

Too bad the internet is not written in pencil.

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.02.51 PM.jpg

If you were speaking to me of a decade ago, I'd love to play this game with you. Maybe that proves or disproves your point, maybe I've grown up a little, maybe I haven't. Who knows.

But instead, I'll just leave this here. I'd rather leave it up, personally.

Last edited:
I'm also going to try and nip this here but maybe after a good night's sleep he will reconsider and come back, I thought it was a pretty innocuous back and forth and as I noted previously zero issue with his work and our discussion wasn't about his bracket.

I will note in my defense that his last post is referencing a discussion that I wasn't aware we were having I Never insinuated or said I didn't think anyone besides ND could or should Subjectively be ahead of SU. I simply noted that based on wins and the subjective factors that I thought SU matched up with everyone but ND. I can't explain what I feel is an over the top reaction to out discussion. Syracusefan is by far the .most welcome lax board on the web. I've had many convos with nyclax, wgdsr, our Maryland friends and more. Again no ill will it's a message board, a back and forth is what it's all about
Jeremy, since his last post here I've exchanged very pleasant messages with him on another site. You weren't the only one who asked him to explain. I did also and sort of challenged him. As he said in his last post I think he is really really tired having put in so many hours on what he does for his brackets. He threw something extra out that a few of us picked up on and he just wasn't prepared to discuss it further. I think we can give him some slack. I expressed to him, as have you and others here, that he return to participating here. I hope he does. Maybe after all the work he's going to put in over the next 4 days. [If we meet Hopkins in the Final Four, maybe even the Championship Game, he may not be able to resist.]

View attachment 240718

If you were speaking to me of a decade ago, I'd love to play this game with you. Maybe that proves or disproves your point, maybe I've grown up a little, maybe I haven't. Who knows.

Okay, I guess I’ll stand by my post then????

I was just trying to be nice

I love you my dude

View attachment 240718

Pretty good like to post ratio tho, didn’t realize I was that high

View attachment 240718

I also think you reposting this, after I said it was overly harsh and deleted it proves my point even more….

So thank you for that

Jeremy, since his last post here I've exchanged very pleasant messages with him on another site. You weren't the only one who asked him to explain. I did also and sort of challenged him. As he said in his last post I think he is really really tired having put in so many hours on what he does for his brackets. He threw something extra out that a few of us picked up on and he just wasn't prepared to discuss it further. I think we can give him some slack. I expressed to him, as have you and others here, that he return to participating here. I hope he does. Maybe after all the work he's going to put in over the next 4 days. [If we meet Hopkins in the Final Four, maybe even the Championship Game, he may not be able to resist.]

Hey FC, good post. I certainly have no ill will or anything on my end happy to have him back if he chooses to do so. As I noted previously zero issue with his bracket or work our back and forth at least in my opinion was unrelated to that.

As Orange79 astutely noted I think we were talking about different things and it caused additional confusion. As I tried to explain I was looking to dive deeper into the subjective factors and what 4 or so teams he felt were ahead of SU. Was generally curious and felt it could be a good conversation/discussion.

Discussion can sometimes get a little heated or sideways, I never take it personal and tonights discussion certainly was no where close to that. I hope everyone whose a lax fan will join and continue to post here, a great board needs outside voices and fans

Last edited:
I also think you reposting this, after I said it was overly harsh and deleted it proves my point even more….

So thank you for that

Happy to help.

If you think that my wanting to preserve your own harsh words that I saw that are about me, somehow makes me narcissistic. ;)

You cannot undo that I saw them. I want everyone to see them. Maybe they'll be archived here forever. That's what immortality is, right?

Am I doing this narcissistic thing good enough for you? Like I said, a decade ago, I would have loved to play this game with you. So I won't say that being full of myself is new for me, but I tend to try to not be like that whenever possible. I think that's called growing up, but maybe I've still got a ways to go.

Last post here forever. I promise.

The issue is that the only reason it ever got brought up in the first place was a misunderstanding. The two people consistently making brackets this season have Syracuse seeded 3rd based on objective data. Those same two people think Syracuse is either the 5th or 6th best team based on their subjective opinion. Stevens and I are not the committee, but if we were/we are representative of the actual committee, it is not in Syracuse's interests for this to be a subjectively chosen and seeded bracket, period.

The issue is that we established: 1) there was a misunderstanding, 2) my subjective opinion of Syracuse was only ever brought up because this misunderstanding 3) I do not want to discuss my subjective evaluation of teams any further because it is irrelevant. I said both parts of this multiple times. 4) Jeremy does not actually care what I think subjectively of Syracuse (said as much), because as I said it's irrelevant, 5) despite my continued pleas to let's move on, I am still being asked who I could possibly think is subjectively better than Syracuse besides Notre Dame, despite that this absolutely does not matter to the topic of this thread. (I am no one special, and it is outside my realm of expertise)
-

I don't really care whether Jeremy or anyone else is appreciative of my work or not. I am proud of my bracket work, and that's what matters to me. I do it for myself, because in theory I "like" doing them.
-

I have been putting probably 30-50 hours per week into watching games, doing evaluations, making brackets, discussing, answering questions since February. I do this in my free time. No one has ever or likely will ever pay me a dollar for doing this, and I do not want them to.

I started doing this years ago because I wanted to do it, see if I could apply the stuff that I had learned in college to this, and then it eventually turned into I wanted to see how good I could get at doing this stuff. "Maybe one day, I could be the best at this stuff, who knows?" I thought.

I am tired. I am really, really tired. I have been tired for 2+ weeks now in a way that I have not been since college. No matter how long I sleep at night, I have been waking up just absolutely out of gas the next day. This evening should have been a quiet one ahead of the busiest four days of the season. I barely ate dinner tonight because of what was going on here. I am still dealing with this now. At some point, I have to do what is best for myself/my health and withdraw from here. This is not the right environment for me to be having these discussions in. There is a place for everything. This is not that place.
-

If anyone thinks my brackets are useful, you know where to find them. And I'm glad they are helpful to you. If you have questions, we can maybe discuss those in the appropriate place.

If anyone thinks my brackets aren't worthy of being something to even use as toilet paper, sorry you feel that way and for wasting a little bit of your time that you spent looking at it, but maybe it will give you a nice clean wipe the next time you go.

Guess this wasn’t the last post here, forever

Don’t trust his promises folks!!!

Guess this wasn’t the last post here, forever

Nah it wasn't. Big props to you for that! Did you get what you wanted?

Did you get a drunk rise of satisfaction out of knowing that you pushed my buttons and prodded me into re-posting what you said? You can't take those words back.

Nah it wasn't. Big props to you for that! Did you get what you wanted?

Did you get a drunk rise of satisfaction out of knowing that you pushed my buttons and prodded me into re-posting what you said? You can't take those words back.

I like this guy

He’s feisty

One of the best yet

Enjoy your night

Btw don’t stop posting

That’s what makes this place fun

Just too much fun for nerds like me to stick around here. An engineering school could never be this fun.

The take I see is that the IVY is in a spot of bother to get 1 team in and some luck to get the 2nd team in.

The take I see is that the IVY is in a spot of bother to get 1 team in and some luck to get the 2nd team in.

Yales blowout loss definitely hurt but still seems like their getting at least 2 teams

Yales blowout loss definitely hurt but still seems like their getting at least 2 teams
yale and Cornell lose who knows. I don't think both Penn and Princ get in with 1 win, One would get the auto bid and then?

Cornell loses and yale wins and loses maybe Yale jumps Cornell?

Cornell shows up and they win the first game I think. The goalie is playing well right now.

yale and Cornell lose who knows. I don't think both Penn and Princ get in with 1 win, One would get the auto bid and then?

Cornell loses and yale wins and loses maybe Yale jumps Cornell?

Cornell shows up and they win the first game I think. The goalie is playing well right now.

Cornell has a fairly good resume, an opening loss would definitely be troublesome but Penn feels like a game they should win. Seems like Yale vs Princeton could essentially be a play in game, hard to see the winner being left out. I'd be pretty surprised if the IVy didn't get at least 2. Now if Yale and Cornell both lose opening round maybe there's a chance of only 1 team but even then Princeton would be in and Penn could go on a run.

Unfortunately, I now understand why Patrick Stevens does not answer questions or explain his selection/seeding decisions any further than he does in his own articles. He controls his own narrative thread, and it's how it is.

I think it's best that I take his approach from now on.

My primary complaint with sports fans in general is that they are too biased. It was my fault for ever coming into a place that is so non-neutral that it is advertised directly in the URL. I guess that I was just so excited to see stuff that I had worked really hard on being discussed here, and I thought that I could jump in and help.

I have enjoyed interacting with quite a few people here over the years. It's clear that my time here has run its course. This is not the place to have discussions about brackets. There is a place for everything, and this is not the place for that for anyone but Syracuse fans. This is a place to flail passionately between thinking the sky is falling and that it's our year for sure - the passions of a fandom on full display. That’s great, I'm glad there is a place for that.

There are two or three other people who frequently post in this thread who have a very strong understanding of how this stuff works, and I expect that they can continue to be a good resource for this board on this topic and they can even deliver it from an inherently pro-Syracuse perspective! Win, win.

In the future, I will be in the correct place to discuss this stuff, anyone who wants to talk to me for some reason, find me there, and maybe we can talk.
Come on man aren’t the two of you just disagreeing over something minor here? This seems too dramatic! We all value your perspective and (I have not read everything) Jeremy just seems to be pushing back in a not too serious way about one or two things in your methods. Why not just bury the hatchet and move on??

With Loyola losing to Navy last night, Loyola has dropped out of the top 20 RPIs, dropping Hopkins number of top 20 wins by 1. Unfortunately, it also dropped UMd's number of top 20 wins by 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom