2024 PLL Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 PLL Season

A potential starting offensive 6 of O'Neill, Brandau, Zawada, Handley, Wisnauskas, and Dobson would be quite the handful physically

Added this to Fanlax but would love to hear everyone's thoughts here too!

I took a first stab at a mock draft for this year and wow is it tough. The depth at the attack position is overwhelming, as is the lack of it on the defensive end. I think there are quite a few consensus top players that might fall a bit as teams try to snag players on the defensive end early. I've been debating doing a team by team preview in the coming weeks, but we'll see what my schedule looks like.

For the record, I'm not sold on O'Neill as the top pick, especially as the best fit for the Outlaws offense, but for the time being I'm sticking with it. There's enough offensive players to add complementary pieces later.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

Round Pick Team Player Position

1 1 (1) Outlaws Brennan O'Neill Attack
1 2 (2) Atlas Connor ShellenbergerAttack
1 3 (3) Whipsnakes Ajax Zappitello Defense
1 4 (4) Chaos Pat Kavanagh Attack
1 5 (5) Atlas Liam Entenmann Goalie
1 6 (6) Cannons Shane Knobloch Midfield
1 7 (7) Waterdogs Jake Piseno LSM
1 8 (8) Archers Kenny Brower Defense

2 1 (9) Outlaws Matt Brandau Attack
2 2 (10) Atlas Mason Woodward Defense
2 3 (11) Outlaws Eric Dobson Midfield
2 4 (12) Chaos Scott Smith Defense/LSM
2 5 (13) Redwoods Beau Pederson SSDM
2 6 (14) Cannons TJ Malone Attack/Midfield
2 7 (15) Waterdogs Jake Stevens Midfield
2 8 (16) Archers Brett Martin SSDM

3 1 (17) Whipsnakes Ross Scott Attack/Midfield
3 2 (18) Redwoods Will Mark Goalie
3 3 (19) Outlaws Roy Meyer LSM
3 4 (20) Chaos Graham Bundy Midfield
3 5 (21) Redwoods Payton Cormier Attack/Midfield
3 6 (22) Whipsnakes Grant Haus SSDM
3 7 (23) Waterdogs Dyson Williams Attack/Midfield
3 8 (24) Archers Saam Olexo LSM

4 1 (25) Outlaws Josh Zawada Attack
4 2 (26) Atlas Garrett Degnon Attack/Midfield
4 3 (27) Whipsnakes Mike Robinson Attack/Midfield
4 4 (28) Chaos Levi Anderson Attack/Midfield
4 5 (29) Redwoods Christian Ronda Midfield
4 6 (30) Cannons Jake Naso F/O
4 7 (31) Waterdogs JJ Sillstrop Attack/Midfield
4 8 (32) Archers Alex Vardaro Midfield

Would probably have Dobson as the top middie in the class. Tough dodge match up and can also burn you from 2 point range. I would want him over Knobloch.

Vardaro is a super speedy and productive middie who is having another good year with GTown after his time at Princeton. Think he could go higher than some of those guys in the 3rd and 4th round.

Degnon may go a little higher. The league values shooting like his, even if he is slightly weak in other areas. He is probably some kind of middie in the PLL. Also a serious threat from 2 point range.

All great players!

If you move them up, who gets bumped down?

I think the order that the middies go will depend on style of play and who's picking when. I think Knobloch is a much better fit for the Cannons offense. Agree that Dobson is a top middie, but I think coach Holman will value the positional versatility of a guy like Knobloch over the pure dodging of Dobson.

Full disclosure about Vardaro - I initially had him to the Archers at the end of Round 3, but remembered Olexo at the last minute (how could I forget). I felt like the Archers, even with snagging Brower in round one, could use some depth on the defensive end. Both Conners and Robbins are only contracted through 2024, and although the signed Shoemay through '25, they could use another pole for some depth. If he's still around in round four, I imagine the Atlas, Whipsnakes, Redwoods, and Waterdogs might give him a look over who I have mocked to them.

I like Degnon a lot, it's just a loaded offensive class. I do think he's not as one dimensional of a pure shooter as some may think - his dodging has improved tremendously. I like what he'd bring to an Atlas offense that has struggled with having a consistent deep shooting presence in a motion offense (obviously Costabile is a great shooter off the dodge, but Pressler also ran him into the ground and Curry, who I think really showed a lot of promise whenever he got touches last year, was relegated to the bench at times in favor of Pressler's former player O'Rourke). I think they and the Redwoods, Whipsnakes, and Cannons all could be interested in him in the later rounds.

All great players!

If you move them up, who gets bumped down?

I think the order that the middies go will depend on style of play and who's picking when. I think Knobloch is a much better fit for the Cannons offense. Agree that Dobson is a top middie, but I think coach Holman will value the positional versatility of a guy like Knobloch over the pure dodging of Dobson.

Full disclosure about Vardaro - I initially had him to the Archers at the end of Round 3, but remembered Olexo at the last minute (how could I forget). I felt like the Archers, even with snagging Brower in round one, could use some depth on the defensive end. Both Conners and Robbins are only contracted through 2024, and although the signed Shoemay through '25, they could use another pole for some depth. If he's still around in round four, I imagine the Atlas, Whipsnakes, Redwoods, and Waterdogs might give him a look over who I have mocked to them.

I like Degnon a lot, it's just a loaded offensive class. I do think he's not as one dimensional of a pure shooter as some may think - his dodging has improved tremendously. I like what he'd bring to an Atlas offense that has struggled with having a consistent deep shooting presence in a motion offense (obviously Costabile is a great shooter off the dodge, but Pressler also ran him into the ground and Curry, who I think really showed a lot of promise whenever he got touches last year, was relegated to the bench at times in favor of Pressler's former player O'Rourke). I think they and the Redwoods, Whipsnakes, and Cannons all could be interested in him in the later rounds.
Pressler started playing Curry more then O'Rourke the end of season. O'Rourke was a great Attackman in college due to his lefty cannon. He's like a Degnon but Degnon can dodge so much better and yes a better shot. Lol O'Rourke is not athletic enough to play midfield and not good enough to play attack in the PLL. Pressler has to sit him this yr and play Curry more he's just a much better midfielder. I like Degnon in that mix too the kid can dodge enough to contribute and he will be lethal with 2 pt shots with his rocket.

Oh yes, good point. He stuck with O'Rourke, went to Curry, and moved away from Curry when he brought in Myles Jones.

Between that and his treatment of Peter Dearth, who I genuinely thought was playing at a consistent and strong level, he really seemed to have it out for the Cuse guys in the roster. I'd expect something similar to happen to Porter this year with Troutner and potentially Entenmann added at #5.

Not sure what other life commitments he has, but I'd imagine that Dearth is one of the top SSDMs on the market, especially with a shallower crop in the draft.

Dan Arestia has his first mock draft of the season out: PLL Mock Draft 2024

For Cuse, he's got Jake Stevens going #4 overall to the Chaos and lists Will Mark as a player to watch for the Outlaws, and Saam Olexo for Whipsnakes.

Stevens feels like a good fit for the Chaos who have a number of versatile players already, but could use one with a more consistent offensive punch. I personally feel like #4 might be too early for him, and the Chaos have a solid cadre of short sticks and poles already. I like them looking to add some offensive firepower early and adding depth to the rope unit starting in the second round. But this could be a cultural fit that's hard for Towers to pass on.

I think the Atlas, Redwoods, and Outlaws are the most likely to be looking for a Goalie in this draft (a few others will likely add some depth in free-agency). Entenmann seems destined to be the first one off the board but Mark should likely be #2 or #3 in that group. I've got him going to the Redwoods - an ideal spot where he can learn behind Jack Kelly and compete for a starting spot sooner than later with Kelly's injury history. Outlaws have a wealth of picks (relatively) but I think they'd be smart to spend at least their first 2-3 picks on the offensive end. Not sure if Mark would be available later on, but it depends on when Entenmann goes.

Olexo to the Whipsnakes would be bittersweet - I'm hoping with Ehrhardt's retirement that Kennedy would get some more run at LSM, where I think he'd shine in the league if given a chance. But the Whips are suddenly a little thin with poles, and they'll likely want to add some significant depth to the defensive end and the middle of the field.