215 points, 80 rebounds and 53 assists | Syracusefan.com

215 points, 80 rebounds and 53 assists

SWC75

Bored Historian
But not as valuable as a guy who had 98 points, 35 rebounds and 24 assists?

I know there's more to basketball than numbers and more to basketball numbers than those numbers. But that's quite a gap.

Would it be too wimpy to have an MVP for the winning team and one for the losing team?

I know there's more to basketball than numbers and more to basketball numbers than those numbers. But that's quite a gap.

Would it be too wimpy to have an MVP for the winning team and one for the losing team?

LeBron is the MVP and the best player and the most important and everything else.

Happy for Iggy, but what Bron did has never been done. He deserved it.

I read that Iggy held Lebron to about 25% shooting when he was the player contesting Lebron's shots. Probably the biggest reason why he won. It helped he made open jumpers because they Iced Curry on Pick and rolls.

Last edited:
Look at this stat about LeBron's minutes. Simply amazing the amount of ball he has played in the last 5 years. And at such a high level. No wonder the dude got tired.

An_honest_LeBron_James_quote-578e75b88349197643d4161895de33db

It's interesting to me that Steph got zero votes for MVP.
I don't claim to be a basketball expert but I was starting to get absurdly aggravated that no one was noticing how Steph was being defended and how his unselfishness basically won them the series. Finally today multiple analysts addressed this.

Cleveland defended Steph in the opposite fashion Golden State defended Lebron. Golden State said Lebron can get his and we're going to guard him one on one but no one else is getting hot. Meanwhile, Cleveland double/triple teamed Curry every. single. time. down the court and Steph never tried to do too much. He always made the right pass to either Green or Iggy who then initiated a 4 on 3 leading to wide open shots once they went small ball.

Combine that with Klay not even bothering to show up to the Finals and Steph singlehandedly making sure they were going to win the pivotal Game 5 in that 4th quarter and I think Steph was the MVP. (My criteria for MVP is a player from the Championship team).

Although I disagree, I can definitely see the case for Iggy.

I don't claim to be a basketball expert but I was starting to get absurdly aggravated that no one was noticing how Steph was being defended and how his unselfishness basically won them the series. Finally today multiple analysts addressed this.

Cleveland defended Steph in the opposite fashion Golden State defended Lebron. Golden State said Lebron can get his and we're going to guard him one on one but no one else is getting hot. Meanwhile, Cleveland double/triple teamed Curry every. single. time. down the court and Steph never tried to do too much. He always made the right pass to either Green or Iggy who then initiated a 4 on 3 leading to wide open shots once they went small ball.

Combine that with Klay not even bothering to show up to the Finals and Steph singlehandedly making sure they were going to win the pivotal Game 5 in that 4th quarter and I think Steph was the MVP. (My criteria for MVP is a player from the Championship team).

Although I disagree, I can definitely see the case for Iggy.

Yeah, the Cavs defense on the Steph PnRs allowed GSW to have 4 on 3s almost every time in the halfcourt.

That is on top of his scoring and his general presence allowing for significant spacing.

I can see the argument for Steph.

LBJ was astounding and people will be talking about his effort for years . . . but Iggy was the MVP. He turned the series completely around for the Ws.

It is curious that, before the Finals started, several Warriors supporters were lamenting his signing, seeing him as a spent force or weak link on the squad.

LBJ was astounding and people will be talking about his effort for years . . . but Iggy was the MVP. He turned the series completely around for the Ws.

It is curious that, before the Finals started, several Warriors supporters were lamenting his signing, seeing him as a spent force or weak link on the squad.

I completely agree here. I think the Cavs win if there is no Iggy on the team. Klay and Barnes would foul out in every game against LeBron. They just aren't close to being the same defenders.

Edit - But I see the argument for both other guys as well. I just think the way Kerr used Iggy changed everything.

I'd have a hard time awarding it to a player on the losing team if it isn't a 7 game series.

Also, do you really want to reward a player when his team decides to stop playing team basketball?

LeBron's the best player in the game, best performer in the finals, most valuable player in the finals -- without him, the Cavs don't win two effin' games! -- but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have wanted to get the award. BTW, he is so great, it's barely noticed or mentioned that he had 18 rebounds last night, along with the customary 9 assists and 32 points.

Now, if the series had gone the distance and LeBron dropped another triple double and the Cavs lost by a point or two, then, I think, he joins Jerry West as MVPs on losing teams. It's a whole 'nother discussion, but I think a good argument could be made that he deserved to be league MVP.

Iggy Stardust and LBJ were the only players who got votes for finals MVP...Iggy got 7, LeBron 4, none for Curry.

You are a wise man and, not kissin' up just being honest, I truly enjoy your pro hoops posts.

Speaking of wise men, I see former Nazareth College point guard and McQuaid Jesuit coach Jeff Van Gundy was one of the four voters who picked LeBron for finals MVP.

chrm1whusaagd-g.jpg

Look at this stat about LeBron's minutes. Simply amazing the amount of ball he has played in the last 5 years. And at such a high level. No wonder the dude got tired.

An_honest_LeBron_James_quote-578e75b88349197643d4161895de33db

Add in the olympcs... Lot of miles on LeBron.

Yup--there are a LOT of miles on those tires. He's played almost a full EXTRA season just in post-season games. I wonder if that will cause him to break down physically a little faster than others, given the high useage / high minutes.

LeBron had a brutal game last night which probably overshadowed his performance as a whole vs Iggy who took the game over. Ton's of shots to get Cleveland close, or tied and the King missed every single one. Settled for a lot of 3s when he should've driven to the rack.

LeBron's the best player in the game, best performer in the finals, most valuable player in the finals -- without him, the Cavs don't win two effin' games! -- but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have wanted to get the award. BTW, he is so great, it's barely noticed or mentioned that he had 18 rebounds last night, along with the customary 9 assists and 32 points.

Now, if the series had gone the distance and LeBron dropped another triple double and the Cavs lost by a point or two, then, I think, he joins Jerry West as MVPs on losing teams. It's a whole 'nother discussion, but I think a good argument could be made that he deserved to be league MVP.

Iggy Stardust and LBJ were the only players who got votes for finals MVP...Iggy got 7, LeBron 4, none for Curry.

That's right -- you don't assign MVP to a player who just lost the series in 6, dropping the final 3 games of the series in a row, including 2 at home.

Lebron was brilliant in this series, can't be disputed, but that's not how the award works. Had it gone 7... you're probably right.

I still think Curry should of been the MVP. The entire offense ran through him, and he was basically double teamed the entire series on screen and rolls. It was because of him that Golden State was playing 4 on 3 the last three games of the series.

I still think Curry should of been the MVP. The entire offense ran through him, and he was basically double teamed the entire series on screen and rolls. It was because of him that Golden State was playing 4 on 3 the last three games of the series.

If Golden State had one single player stand out stat wise, LeBron wouldn't have even been in the discussion. As it was, LBJ's individual numbers dwarfed what anyone on the winning team did because they were a viable team vs LBJ what he was surrounded with.

and without any significant injury

If Golden State had one single player stand out stat wise, LeBron wouldn't have even been in the discussion. As it was, LBJ's individual numbers dwarfed what anyone on the winning team did because they were a viable team vs LBJ what he was surrounded with.

I mean Curry averaged 26, 6 and 6. That is right in line with some of Kobe and MJ's final's MVP performances. The issue here is Lebron at 36 12, 9, and nobody has ever done that before, so he completely dwarfed Steph.

Yup--there are a LOT of miles on those tires. He's played almost a full EXTRA season just in post-season games. I wonder if that will cause him to break down physically a little faster than others, given the high useage / high minutes.

I think he has, to an extent. I don't think he has the explosion he had even a few years ago. He's still so damn talented at pretty much everything he can stave things off for a while. I think later career Lebron will be something resembling what later career Magic would have been.

Lebron was the MVP of the series but it's pretty hard to give it to a guy whose team lost in six and and the last few weren't close so whatever

I mean Curry averaged 26, 6 and 6. That is right in line with some of Kobe and MJ's final's MVP performances. The issue here is Lebron at 36 12, 9, and nobody has ever done that before, so he completely dwarfed Steph.

Also a case of things done that don't show up on the stat sheet. I thought Curry would get is as well but with the entire focal point of the series being Lebron, the award going to Iggy who defended him well, isn't surprising. The NBA universe revolves around Lebron. Sports radio this AM talking about the Warriors who just won the title? Nope, still Lebron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom