3.0 Club | Syracusefan.com

3.0 Club

As a child who grew up in the low socioeconomic inner city of the south and an athlete, I graduated with my masters Saturday from SUNY Cortland with a 4.03. Thinking over my life and back to my highschool days, I was far from that kind of student I became. The fact that 64% of our squad is amazing as academics are not really part of their discourse. I know many of these young men who came from the same cloth might not have recognized this as having much importance. This is a huge accomplishment and speaks of the staff, student athletes, and university. Added to this the fact that JT struggled getting his grades in order, I am very proud of him. I am also proud of many of the recruits, like Shy and Blair, who are bringing this same mentality to the program and those who "got it" and came in with a strong academic mindset. It is a great day to be an Orangeman!

This is incredibly boast-worthy stuff. I hope things like this are taken into consideration by the new AD when deciding Scott Shafer's fate, if the team has a rough year.

For parents who are really concerned about their sons well being, this should be the best reason to send them to Syracuse.
Particularly that HCSS has made it a focus to excel at academics. Creating a "club" makes it a strong social goal for every player to strive for.

I'd encourage them to put dates on the t's to earn one each semester. And if you get a streak of semesters in a row it goes to T and a hat, then to a T and a hoodie, then at to straight years a T and a Ball signed by the coaching staff etc so even the guys already in are always striving for more.

This is awesome.

Great to see JT part of that club as other schools backed off of him because of his academics. Isn't it ironic, don'tcha think?

In GA if you are a good football player academics are an after thought for those that guide them ... a lot of these kids have amazing untapped potential.

Particularly that HCSS has made it a focus to excel at academics. Creating a "club" makes it a strong social goal for every player to strive for.

I'd encourage them to put dates on the t's to earn one each semester. And if you get a streak of semesters in a row it goes to T and a hat, then to a T and a hoodie, then at to straight years a T and a Ball signed by the coaching staff etc so even the guys already in are always striving for more.

This is awesome.
Love this idea.

Love this idea and the promotion of it. Education and character development are things the staff is selling. It's a good look and I think it's genuine from the staff. Football aside the staff seems to be full of good people with good intentions for their players.

Estime and McGloster caught me eye. Two guys with qualifying issues coming in.

Did Estime really have qualifying issues or was it just an assumption by some on this forum?

I'm most impressed by Jonathon Thomas and Juwan Dowels...both were turned away from Oklahoma due to academics, and now both pulled a 3.0 at Syracuse in their freshman year. Definitely not an easy task when you juggle school with a D1 sport. Very impressive list, definitely something to brag about to recruits and to the NCAA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom