3/17/15 Seventh Day of Spring Practice | Syracusefan.com

3/17/15 Seventh Day of Spring Practice

CuseLegacy

The media will not have access to practice but they will be able to interview players and coaches afterwards. Yeah.

B-okaDCXIAAnKWM.jpg:large

If y'all have any questions that don't require someone to actually watch practice to answer... post them here and they might get asked tomorrow.

I really think Shafer is being dense with this idea of sealed practices. Give the media something to write about and the fans something to be interested in. I don't think Jimbo or Dabo are going to waste a lot of time trying to scout our practices or read some tea leaves from media reports. I could see closing a few practices but Shafer is just being a buzzkill.

At least open up practice on Good Friday so I can shoot up there and get a football fix. Was able to do this in The early marrone years before full on paranoia set in.

At least open up practice on Good Friday so I can shoot up there and get a football fix. Was able to do this in The early marrone years before full on paranoia set in.
You don't like stealth?

Yea - I'm all full for the staff giving the team any advantage they can. If they win, the (bandwagon) fans will come

- That said, I think you can open up practice at the beginning or end for 20 minutes, like many teams do

I really think Shafer is being dense with this idea of sealed practices. Give the media something to write about and the fans something to be interested in. I don't think Jimbo or Dabo are going to waste a lot of time trying to scout our practices or read some tea leaves from media reports. I could see closing a few practices but Shafer is just being a buzzkill.

No... Dabo is too busy keeping his practices closed.

New OC, I think it's pretty standard practice.

how many people not on this board do you really think care or even know the school is practicing right now? whether its open or not for the most part only the few hundred here care. we have 25k season tickets and 500 of them show up for the spring game.

This team needs all the buzz it can get at this point. There should be some portion of practice open so that the local TV stations can get a 20-second clip in front of the Syracuse public.

I'm really not sure what anyone thinks they would learn from Spring practice if it was open. Pretty much just looking to see who's healthy, who looks to be in good shape, and who's running with which team on the depth chart. Preseason practice is where we really learn something. Right now is putting the building blocks in place and seeing who runs with them on their own time between now and preseason.

If the OC is putting in half the offense, it's likely the base vanilla stuff with all the fun twists added later on. I'm sure the d is the same with base formations for the new starters and maybe some special team work. Have to learn to walk before you can run. We saw what happened on offense last year when we skipped the base portion and just winged it.

I certainly hope they are concentrating more on winning ball games then wondering what will make fickle fans get moreinterested in football games.

wait...winning football games will get more buts in the seats? I see.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 5m5 minutes ago
Syracuse football will have its first media opportunity in two weeks tonight. What are you curious about?

how many people not on this board do you really think care or even know the school is practicing right now? whether its open or not for the most part only the few hundred here care. we have 25k season tickets and 500 of them show up for the spring game.

So does that mean you just give up? I don't think it would hurt trying to gain interest from casual fans, or maintain interest from the dwindling die-hard base. It's not a big deal to me either way, but I think it's ridiculous we have almost every practice closed. Like I said I don't think we are in any position to keep the fans that are still interested left out. This isn't just a Syracuse thing, it's all these over paranoid Football HC's. They go way overboard with this stuff. Lester said himself he is just installing the basics. I highly doubt there would be spies from Clemson, and FSU infiltrating the IPF. I know Shafer isn't much of an outside the box type of guy (if you can tell by his hiring practices), but why not be different, and try to gain some interest from the casual fan? This is a free month of coverage they are passing up by closing practice, and we could use as much exposure as possible. You may not be losing any fans, but you certainly aren't gaining any. Hell, just open up half of the practices.

Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3 37s38 seconds ago
Scott Shafer on his trip to the Committee on Infractions in Chicago in October: "I sat. I listened. I left."

Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3 32s32 seconds ago
Tim Lester said the only other person taking first team snaps at QB is AJ Long. The rest are on the second team.

Last edited:
Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3 32s32 seconds ago
Tim Lester said the only other person taking first team snaps at QB is AJ Long. The rest are on the second team.

Who else would be taking snaps? Dungey and Womack aren't here, the only other qb is Wilson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom