34% of fans think MJ would beat Lebron 1-on-1 right now | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

34% of fans think MJ would beat Lebron 1-on-1 right now

We agree to disagree if your just wanting a debate I am not interested. I would take Michael Jordan in his prime over Lebron James in his prime 10 out of 10 times.

lol

McNabb and Pearl were amazing players for Syracuse but neither reached the pinnacle of success. So their flaws are much easier to spot. MJ did everything on the basketball court and translated it to nearly impeccable post season success. Trying to spot his flaws would be nitpicking. He wasn't a great 3pt shooter. Beyond that, I'm struggling to think of something he didn't do well.

MJ is the greatest player in the history of basketball. Lebron, when it's all said and done, will probably be somewhere between the 2nd and 5th greatest player in the history of basketball.

If some think that MJ would beat Lebron one-on-one more often than not, that's fine, I can get with that. But the idea that Lebron wouldn't score, or MJ would win 10 out of 10 guaranteed due to his competitive superpowers, that's where the MJ irrational nostalgia comes in that I think is outside the realm of rational thought. But to each their own.

Nobody in the media, with any significant voice, is trying to destroy Lebron though (unless you count Skip Bayless I guess). You'll find criticisms of his game sprinkled in here and there, but ESPN spends the majority of its Lebron coverage gushing over how amazing he his. Lebron was crowned 'King' by the media from day one. MJ had to earn it.
MJ earned a lot of it on his own and through the good fortune of strong supporting casts, but he doesn't become god without Nike. He was their first star, they used Jordan and he used them and both done good for themselves. Great player and great shoe salesman.

MJ is the greatest player in the history of basketball. Lebron, when it's all said and done, will probably be somewhere between the 2nd and 5th greatest player in the history of basketball.

If some think that MJ would beat Lebron one-on-one more often than not, that's fine, I can get with that. But the idea that Lebron wouldn't score, or MJ would win 10 out of 10 guaranteed due to his competitive superpowers, that's where the MJ irrational nostalgia comes in that I think is outside the realm of rational thought. But to each their own.

Disagree. MJ will use his Professor Xavier-caliber mind powers to turn Lebron into a puddle of goo. Literally.

lol
I wasn't talking about 1 on 1 I was talking about the player. In 1 on 1 I think MJ wins 6 or 7 out of 10. MJ by far the better player. Again, I wish Lebron faced the 1988-1990 Pistons one 7 game series. I would have loved to seen Lebron after a couple of hard fouls and an in his prime Dennis Rodman defending him.

Regardless of who you think is the best player of all time (it's
LeBron fyi) MJ just doesn't match up against LBJ very well.

I like how a lot of people are saying MJ is the better shooter when there are stats that prove you're wrong. Also lol at the guy who compared their numbers per game. Back in the 80s and 90s the tempo was much quicker which results in higher averages.

I wasn't talking about 1 on 1 I was talking about the player. In 1 on 1 I think MJ wins 6 or 7 out of 10. MJ by far the better player. Again, I wish Lebron faced the 1988-1990 Pistons one 7 game series. I would have loved to seen Lebron after a couple of hard fouls and an in his prime Dennis Rodman defending him.

See the thing about this argument is LeBron would also be able to play tough defense as well and he's bigger, stronger, quicker and a better defender than almost everyone else.

th

lol.

I'm sure, being a great player, Lebron wouldn't do what all great players do and adapt.

You're doing well hitting all the Lebron #hottakes. Want to incorporate the Game one cramps fiasco and hit the trifecta?

I'll agree that 10/10 or Lebron not scoring is silly.

MJ earned a lot of it on his own and through the good fortune of strong supporting casts, but he doesn't become god without Nike. He was their first star, they used Jordan and he used them and both done good for themselves. Great player and great shoe salesman.

Precisely. He created the mold that Lebron was cast in. Without Nike - and, by extension, Michael Jordan - Lebron doesn't become 'King James.'

I feel like a PhD student could write a dissertation on the intense hyper-nostalgia that people who grew up in the 80s/90s feel for Michael Jordan.

I disliked Jordan in the 80s / 90s. I started disliking him after we played UNC in 1983 and he locked Pearl up, and rooted against him the rest of his career.

For me, it isn't hyper-nostalgia. Just the recognition that MJ was better, and unlike Lebron rose to the challenge every single time.

If anything, I'd say that the recency / primacy factor is influencing what people think. There's some generally poor analysis happening throughout this thread, and I don't think that people remember just how soul crushingly dominant MJ was.

I agree with the above post stating that you're talking about two of the top 5 players, so this is bound to be subjective. But it seems like the battle lines in this thread are being drawn around whether people are unabashed LBJ fans versus those who might not be. Interesting.

Last edited:
th

lol.

I'm sure, being a great player, Lebron wouldn't do what all great players do and adapt.

You're doing well hitting all the Lebron #hottakes. Want to incorporate the Game one cramps fiasco and hit the trifecta?
Isiah, Dumars, Rodman, Mahorn/Salley combo, Vinny Johnson, Aguire. That team was very underrated. I would have loved to seen Lebron put up with what MJ did.

This isn't a #hottake Lebron is not Michael Jordan.

Isiah, Dumars, Rodman, Mahorn/Salley combo, Vinny Johnson, Aguire. That team was very underrated. I would have loved to seen Lebron put up with what MJ did.

This isn't a #hottake Lebron is not Michael Jordan.

No, he's not. But this idea of him completely getting owned is asinine.

I don't think I'm gonna read this whole thread, but this pretty much sums up my feelings. I thought there was a period of time where Lebron had the chance to surpass Jordan (and I guess he still does, but it's a smaller chance) but I think the window is pretty much closing on that. But Lebron is still going to end his career as one of the three or four greatest players of all time, and I think Lebron at his absolute peak (I'm thinking 2012-13 ish) could totally go toe to toe with MJ at his peak.

Also can we agree that who would win a 1 on 1 game between the two doesn't really mean much as far as who the better player was?

I'm confused, you watch something that you just said "wasn't worth watching since the 90s?"
I watch the playoffs periodically because there isn't much else on in terms of sports. Not much explanation needed really.

Na, I'd go big guns out of the gate and throw Mahorn on him. Good night Irene. If you think LBJ exaggerates how hurt he is by laying on the floor for like a minute after getting his arm slapped now, he'd be in ER dealing with Mahorn. Gladiator school. Full disclosure; been a Pistons fan since I was 12..

EXACTLY... Lebron never has, and never will face a real defense.

Not sure why i never took this angle before now...but IMAGINE what jordan would do in the league right now with no defense. He would score 60 a night without effort. I guess thats a fair way to judge this. Lebron would crumble playing against Jordan era defense. Jordan would be unstoppable against Lebron era "defense".

Na, I'd go big guns out of the gate and throw Mahorn on him. Good night Irene. If you think LBJ exaggerates how hurt he is by laying on the floor for like a minute after getting his arm slapped now, he'd be in ER dealing with Mahorn. Gladiator school. Full disclosure; been a Pistons fan since I was 12..

I will never forget the legal pick set by Tyson Chandler that sent Lebron to the floor like he just took a .50 caliber bullet to the neck. Ended up being a foul on Chandler (flagrant?) and Lebron was totally fine 20 seconds later. Any respect I had for him, was lost at that point. I'll still acknowledge he's one of the best ever, but I hate his personality on the court (don't care for it much off the court, either).

You want Rick Mahorn guarding Lebron on the perimeter?

Right this is why I didn't want to read the whole thread
Who said guard him on the perimeter? Play him like the Spurs did, dare him.

Not sure why i never took this angle before now...but IMAGINE what jordan would do in the league right now with no defense. He would score 60 a night without effort. I guess thats a fair way to judge this. Lebron would crumble playing against Jordan era defense. Jordan would be unstoppable against Lebron era "defense".

This post right here tells me you don't watch the NBA.

You want Rick Mahorn guarding Lebron on the perimeter?

Right this is why I didn't want to read the whole thread
Rodman would be the main defender, but Mahorn/Salley/Laimbeer would clobber the hell out of Lebron when he drove the ball and I think would be more hesitant after a couple of hard fouls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom