34% of fans think MJ would beat Lebron 1-on-1 right now | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

34% of fans think MJ would beat Lebron 1-on-1 right now

Without handchecking Jordan averages 40ppg in today's NBA. If you took 1986-1992 Jordan and put in his today's rules he shoots 15 FTs a game.

Maybe the year he went for 37, bu t he would have lost some possessions due to the pace of the game. Also, and this is probably taboo to say, but NBA defenses are much more sophisticated now than 30 years ago.

25-11-7 and the finals MVP in 2013, 28-8-4 in 2014, I guess that would work.
You still have to make a star one dimensional in the playoffs and live with the results. That's assuming the star player is going to get his. I'd rather him never think about going near the paint at any point and taking my chances with his 3pt%.

Without handchecking Jordan averages 40ppg in today's NBA. If you took 1986-1992 Jordan and put in his today's rules he shoots 15 FTs a game.

I'm going to agree to disagree here. The game has changed. Jordan played in an era of isolation and no zone.

That era is long gone. In today's NBA Jordan would be double teamed with and without the ball. Chicago would not be able to get away with having 2 guys on the court that couldn't make shots.

Today everyone in the NBA makes shots.

Jordan was 6'6'' 195. Lebron is 6'8 240''. There is no way Jordan has the physical strength to keep Lebron out of the Paint.

I was kidding about 60 ppg. I agree though that he would average 40 without trying. If he got the fouls they get in the current NBA he would get 20 pts a game just at the line.

Maybe the year he went for 37, bu t he would have lost some possessions due to the pace of the game. Also, and this is probably taboo to say, but NBA defenses are much more sophisticated now than 30 years ago.

The defenses are more sophisticated, offenses are more sophisticated, and shooters are better now. NBA is the best it's ever been.

You want Rick Mahorn guarding Lebron on the perimeter?

Right this is why I didn't want to read the whole thread
Nah, you put Mahorn on Lebron to get under his skin.

And then if Lebron tries to sell the contact, Mahorn would have been nuts enough to just outright punch him.

I was kidding about 60 ppg. I agree though that he would average 40 without trying. If he got the fouls they get in the current NBA he would get 20 pts a game just at the line.

Jordan got more calls than anyone in history! If he was playing today, they would wall off the rim and make him shoot outside.

Last edited:
Come on, 40 points a game without trying? the game is different now than in the late 80's, there are parts that are more conducive to a guy scoring more and parts that are less. The year he went for 37 a night I could see him putting up 40, maybe (what did Kobe go for in 06, 37 as well?) but he wouldn't be scoring 40 every night. Stick him in 1962 on the other hand...

Not sure why i never took this angle before now...but IMAGINE what jordan would do in the league right now with no defense. He would score 60 a night without effort. I guess thats a fair way to judge this. Lebron would crumble playing against Jordan era defense. Jordan would be unstoppable against Lebron era "defense".

I have to disagree with your assessment of defense in the NBA now vs in MJ's day. It's different today, but I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with hard facts that support the idea that it's worse. Essentially two things have changed:

#1: The NBA eliminated/cracked down on hand checking by perimeter defenders. This made the game far more free flowing and allowed drivers like Jerry Stackhouse to lead the NBA in scoring. This would have made life FAR, FAR more easy for MJ.

#2. On the other hand, the NBA did away with the illegal defense rules. It used to be that if a player left his mark to double team, he could ONLY go back to cover that man. With these rules gone, defenses double team, load up on the strong (ball) side of the floor, and then ask the weakside defenders to "rotate" to cover the new offensive players when the ball is kicked or passed out. Look at what Lebron has to deal with here. If Danny Green (#4) wants to, he can double Lebron even harder and let Ginobili rotate to defend Wade (a non-3 point threat) when the ball gets passed to him as Duncan scrambles to toward Miller, while Green scrambles to get towards Bosh, the closest remaining man. Then, they'll switch back to their original marks next time there's a screen action. It was much harder to double MJ because passing out of the double team were much easier when the double teaming defender (here Green) could only go back to his original mark (Wade) who would just cut to the basket for an easy score.

lbjiso.png

Because of these two rules, the NBA game has become much more free flowing and team, rather than individual defense is prioritized, and post scoring is used more to set up other things rather than to score itself. However, it's still difficult to score in today's NBA--and the number bear it out. Scoring is significantly down compared to the early 90's.

Incidentally, as I've mentioned before, the way defense has evolved means that Syracuse players are actually more prepared for NBA team defense than they used to be. The best NBA man-to-man defenses look almost like a zone today.

quality analyzing...but i can refer to about 300 pictures like the one below where the defenders spread like the seas for Moses when guys go to the rim in the NBA. Imagine one of the Pistons in the late 80s early 90s letting that go? HAHAH NOT A CHANCE

upload_2015-5-15_11-6-45.png

That's the problem...noone draws fouls in the NBA. Bunch of nancies.

quality analyzing...but i can refer to about 300 pictures like the one below where the defenders spread like the seas for Moses when guys go to the rim in the NBA. Imagine one of the Pistons in the late 80s early 90s letting that go? HAHAH NOT A CHANCE

View attachment 42831

The 1990 Detroit Pistons gave up 98.3 PPG. 10 teams in the NBA gave up less points this year.

Its not about drawing the fouls. Why risk injury taking a charge from 260 pound Lebron coming right at you when there isn't a chance in HE!! the refs will actually call it correctly? He bulls through the lane without a care in the world and still turns and whines to the refs when he initiates the contact.

I guess you didn't watch the Clippers and Rockets last night, because Dwight definately slammed Blake to the ground.

I'm not sure what guard/forward I would give the edge to in 1on1 verse MJ. I mean he was the nastiest competitor I ever saw. Its make it take it and call your own fouls but all calling a foul gets you is the ball back and fouled even harder usually. I think MJ is a better finisher with contact than James because he played when there was a lot more physical play allowed. Finishing with contact and being able to get by a physical defender are probably the two most important aspects of 1on1 bball. I think MJ is better at both than James. As far as James backing MJ down he could try but MJ is shoving him right back or forcing him sideline so you need to make little turn arounds/fadeaways or still have your dribble when you turn. That is what James should be trying to do in this matchup though.

If Lebron and MJ were calling their own fouls, who would they make the sour face look to after each possession? Oh dear Lord. The two kings of why the NBA is tough to watch. They both get/got all the calls and still whine the entire game long. It's ridiculous.

I will never forget the legal pick set by Tyson Chandler that sent Lebron to the floor like he just took a .50 caliber bullet to the neck. Ended up being a foul on Chandler (flagrant?) and Lebron was totally fine 20 seconds later. Any respect I had for him, was lost at that point. I'll still acknowledge he's one of the best ever, but I hate his personality on the court (don't care for it much off the court, either).

crying-lebron-james-540x598.jpg

I guess you didn't watch the Clippers and Rockets last night, because Dwight definately slammed Blake to the ground.
It's a rarity. The Celtics with the big three kind of played D..but its rare.

It's a rarity. The Celtics with the big three kind of played D..but its rare.

I see you conveniently left out the fact that 10 teams gave up less points this year than the 1990 league leading defense of the Detroit Pistons.

I see you conveniently left out the fact that 10 teams gave up less points this year than the 1990 league leading defense of the Detroit Pistons.

I would guess an argument could be made there were better players in the league back then.

I would guess an argument could be made there were better players in the league back then.

Possibly. I think it's difficult to judge. No doubt bigger guys were more skilled/dominant in the 80's and 90's, but the shooting/passing, and ball handling today we see out of guards I think is much better. I think most of that has to do with the changes in the nuances of the game. Less focus on ISO/Post ups, more high screen and roll/ movement without the ball today. If you watch a game from the 80's or 90's, players aren't even on the same spots of the floor as they are today.

Kobe/Jordan would be a much better matchup than lebron/jordan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom