44's returning, It's time to return the "ORANGEMEN" | Syracusefan.com

44's returning, It's time to return the "ORANGEMEN"

I don't believe that will ever happen. I was to young to know why the change was made but it won't ever go back for the same reason as the "redskins"

I was to young to know why the change was made but it won't ever go back for the same reason as the "redskins"

Because Nike said so.

They didn't want to make separate "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen" merchandise.

I think they only do it for the Lady Vols, right?
Adidas did, but now with the Nike move, "Lady Vols" is being scrapped for all women's teams except for basketball.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6173456

Tennessee women's teams have gone by the name "Lady Vols," short for Volunteers, since the 1970s. Last Monday, the school announced that "all sports other than women's basketball will compete under the name, 'Tennessee Volunteers,'" starting on July 1, 2015. This change is part of a campus branding transition as the school's athletic program switches its marketing manager and apparel provider from Adidas to Nike. Based on the results of a branding audit run by Nike, the decision was made to rename the majority of the women's sports teams.

The women's basketball team, however, will remain "Lady Vols" as an homage to Coach Pat Summitt. Summitt coached the basketball team for nearly forty years before retiring in 2012 for health reasons, and holds the record for the most all-time wins in NCAA basketball history for a coach of either a men's or women's team. In deference to her role in building the program, the women's basketball team will keep its original name.

Blech to this entire thread. "Orange" is much cleaner and is better for branding. When you think orange, you think Syracuse. Keep Orange all the way.

Oh. And 44 should have never been restored. No one can ever be Jim Brown, Ernie Davis or Floyd Little, let alone all 3 of them.

Oh. And 44 should have never been restored. No one can ever be Jim Brown, Ernie Davis or Floyd Little, let alone all 3 of them.
You sure about that? Cause maybe our next great back wants 44.

Nobody is looking for a player to be Brown, Davis or Little.

The number should be restored to serve as a living tribute to those players - as it was meant to be when the AD decided in 1957 not to retire Jim Brown's number.

Plus, having the number spurs discussion and debate about SU Football and gets people interested.

And that's important now more than ever.

It's gotta be Orangemen.

I'm only in my early twenties and I still inadvertently say orangemen instead of Orange.

smh, because those were the only 3 people to ever wear the number at Syracuse :bat:

smh, because those were the only 3 people to ever wear the number at Syracuse :bat:

Since 1954 11 players at Syracuse University have worn 44.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom