4th year juniors | Syracusefan.com

4th year juniors

Oráiste

2017 Iggy Award Winner
a 4th year junior is a player who conceivably could become available on the 5th year grad transfer market. It is not certain that they will graduate on time, nor that they will seek to transfer, but those who do will come from the list of 4th year juniors.

We can use this thread to compile a list of such players. I have two for consideration:
(note: you must be logged into KenPom for the links to work)
PG Jonathan Stark, Murray St. 6'0", 175 pounds. 44th in the nation in assist percentage at 33.9 (close to Gillon, who at 34.3% is 38th). Low turnover rate at 14.3% (compare to Gillon at 17.5%). Shoots .413 from 2, .431 from 3 and .816 from the FT line.

F Egor Koulechov, Rice. 6'5", 210 pounds. Rice uses him as their PF, but he can also play the 3 and would be more suited to the wing forward at SU. Originally recruited to & played freshman season at Arizona State, so he was considered a P5 player. Good rebounder for his size - his offensive rebounding percentage is 7.8 and defensive is 22.0 - compare that to Andrew White 3.3/10.5. Shooting percentages: .846 from the line, .512 from 2 and a scorching .526 from 3.

Stark I am lukewarm on, but I think Koulechov would be a homerun get.

a 4th year junior is a player who conceivably could become available on the 5th year grad transfer market. It is not certain that they will graduate on time, nor that they will seek to transfer, but those who do will come from the list of 4th year juniors.

We can use this thread to compile a list of such players. I have two for consideration:
PG Jonathan Stark, Murray St. 6'0", 175 pounds. 44th in the nation in assist percentage at 33.9 (close to Gillon, who at 34.3% is 38th). Low turnover rate at 14.3% (compare to Gillon at 17.5%). Shoots .413 from 2, .431 from 3 and .816 from the FT line.

F Egor Koulechov, Rice. 6'5", 210 pounds. Rice uses him as their PF, but he can also play the 3 and would be more suited to the wing forward at SU. Originally recruited to & played freshman season at Arizona State, so he was considered a P5 player. Good rebounder for his size - his offensive rebounding percentage is 7.8 and defensive is 22.0 - compare that to Andrew White 3.3/10.5. Shooting percentages: .846 from the line, .512 from 2 and a scorching .526 from 3.

Keep an eye on Egor if he's on the market in the spring.

I'd rather tank for a year and sign some developmental prospects.

Next year looks a little grim right now:

Verbal Commits

I wish the coaching staff concentrated a little harder on PG. Losing Green really hurt us. I wish we had 3.5-3.7 PG for 2017-18 class.

That would be a home run add at the 3. Love the international experience, as well.

Landing this kid would solve a BIG roster hole on next year's squad, and signify a significant bounce-back with respect to 2017 recruiting.

Land Ayala / Duarte on top of that, and another PG [either the likes of Washington or a 5th year transfer option], and we'd be right back in business.

That would be a home run add at the 3. Love the international experience, as well.

Landing this kid would solve a BIG roster hole on next year's squad, and signify a significant bounce-back with respect to 2017 recruiting.

Land Ayala / Duarte on top of that, and another PG [either the likes of Washington or a 5th year transfer option], and we'd be right back in business.
I have said that the coaches have a plan. And I am sticking to it.

Koulechov graduated from The Sagemont School in Florida- Fab Melo's high school. Photobucket burning couch <--- I have no idea what this emoji means, but anything Fab Melo-related reminds me of a small blue dude running around a burning couch.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
Yes...and then you usually need to make a new plan. Let's hope that they've done that!

Nice work. I'm sure this was a time-consuming thing to research. Hope you keep it up.

I'm an alumni from St. Bonnie and I believe they have 1 or 2 good players who could transfer Matt Mobley & Denzel Gregg
Gregg appears to be a traditional senior who has played all 4 seasons.

Mobley is a pure 2 guard; 6-3, 185. Shoots .456 from 2, .403 from 3 and .830 from the line. He is also second in the nation in percent of minutes played, so he'd fit right in with JB's preferred rotation schemes :confused:

Marcus Keene, the nation's leading scorer, at CMU. Unfortunately, he's 5'9".
yep, by the numbers Keene is great: 82% from the line, 53% from 2 and 39% from 3; top 40 in the nation in assist rate, top ten in percent of minutes played. But, as you noted, undersized for the zone.

There are a lot of small guards in the 4 year junior category this year. Marquette has Andrew Rowsey, a terrific 4th year junior playing point while shooting 62% from 2, 47% from 3 and 95% from the line. He's undersized for the zone at 5-10 but I highly doubt he'd leave Marquette after a single season anyway.

Jaaron Simmons, 6-1 PG at Ohio University. 15th in the nation in assist rate, but only shooting 28% from 3 (although last year, for the full season, he shot 42% from deep).

Jahmel Taylor is a 6-0 guard at Fresno State. Shooting 48% from three, but on paper it looks like he's a pure shooting guard, not a point or even a combo. Out of Los Angeles and played as a freshman at Washington, it would probably be hard to get him to come east in any case.

as before, all the links go to KenPom & you have to be logged in there for them to work

He is the EXACT player we need. Proven scorer, great shooter, is a very good rebounder for his size. I'm not sure how he'll do in the zone, but our roster next year is desperate for scoring, so we'd have to live with any issues on D.

There are a lot of small guards in the 4 year junior category this year.

My guess is that it will be highly unusual to find a kid that is both capable of playing guard in the ACC and who is one of our taller "top of the zone" type of guys. Those guys typically leave early rather than stay in school for 5 years.

I posted this in the Keene thread, but wanted to keep the discussion going here, as well:

There will be some very, very good and interesting possible grad transfers this spring...Keene, Matt Mobley, Egor Koulechov. The latter two would be fine fits, good enough size and 40%+ 3pt shooters. Keene is just a scoring machine, too bad he's 5'9". But then again, Gillon is basically the same height and Keene is a far better creator of his own shot.

Other possible grad transfers include:
Randy Onwuasor (Southern Utah, 23ppg, not a great shooter though)
Jonathan Stark (Murray St, 21ppg, Tulane xfer, 40% from 3, only listed at 6')
Rob Gray Jr. (Houston, 6'2" PG, from NC, 20pp, 39% from 3, 82% FT, great #'s against better opponents)
Jairus Lyles (UMBC, 6'2", 20ppg, 23ppg last yr, started at VCU, 33% from 3)
Elijah Brown (New Mexico, Butler transfer, 6'4" guard, solid 3pt shooter, great FT shooter)
Torian Graham (Arizona St, former top 100 player, followed Hurley from UB, 6'5" G, Carolina kid, 40% 3, 18ppg, probably will stick w/Hurley)
Phillip Carr (Morgan St, not sure about his status, played at Mohawk Valley CC, 6'8" Brooklyn kid, good 3 pt shooter in low volume, great FT and good rebounder, would be nice frontcourt depth)

I posted this in the Keene thread, but wanted to keep the discussion going here, as well:

There will be some very, very good and interesting possible grad transfers this spring...Keene, Matt Mobley, Egor Koulechov. The latter two would be fine fits, good enough size and 40%+ 3pt shooters. Keene is just a scoring machine, too bad he's 5'9". But then again, Gillon is basically the same height and Keene is a far better creator of his own shot.

Other possible grad transfers include:
Randy Onwuasor (Southern Utah, 23ppg, not a great shooter though)
Jonathan Stark (Murray St, 21ppg, Tulane xfer, 40% from 3, only listed at 6')
Rob Gray Jr. (Houston, 6'2" PG, from NC, 20pp, 39% from 3, 82% FT, great #'s against better opponents)
Jairus Lyles (UMBC, 6'2", 20ppg, 23ppg last yr, started at VCU, 33% from 3)
Elijah Brown (New Mexico, Butler transfer, 6'4" guard, solid 3pt shooter, great FT shooter)
Torian Graham (Arizona St, former top 100 player, followed Hurley from UB, 6'5" G, Carolina kid, 40% 3, 18ppg, probably will stick w/Hurley)
Phillip Carr (Morgan St, not sure about his status, played at Mohawk Valley CC, 6'8" Brooklyn kid, good 3 pt shooter in low volume, great FT and good rebounder, would be nice frontcourt depth)

Keene would be a no brainer IMO. 5'9 is not ideal at the top of the zone but you take a kid that can score and is seasoned, especially given our current issues at the point. If Howard is not going to be around, as many have stated, our options are going to be a freshman pg, or someone they are trying to mold into a pg. Either way you take a kid like this if you are lucky enough to get him give the situation and options. If/when his height becomes a problem you could probably spell him with Battle for small periods.

Another interesting and good-looking player is E.C. Mathews out of Rhode Island. Hurt most of last year so I believe he has another year of eligibility. Originally out of Detroit and has a scorers mentality as a swingman. I definitely think he could contribute at the ACC level as a SG/swingman.

Keene would be a no brainer IMO. 5'9 is not ideal at the top of the zone but you take a kid that can score and is seasoned, especially given our current issues at the point. If Howard is not going to be around, as many have stated, our options are going to be a freshman pg, or someone they are trying to mold into a pg. Either way you take a kid like this if you are lucky enough to get him give the situation and options. If/when his height becomes a problem you could probably spell him with Battle for small periods.
Keene cares about getting points above all else - he's talented but I'm not interested.

Pepperdine guard AJ Lapray is going to be a 5th year grad transfer candidate. Had a hip injury after his sophmore year and is sitting out this year. Injury was thought to be serious and career-ending, so I'm not sure what to make of this. He's been cleared now to play.

He's 6'5" 190... 12-29 (41%) from 3 last year but his season was cut short. Prior year, he was 5-28 (18%). Not much of a playmaker, not a lot of assists.

Studying interpersonal communications. I guess he'd like Newhouse. Smart kid. No clue if he'd like to play on this coast. He's an Oregon kid, who played for Oregon for 5 games his frosh year before being allowed to transfer to Pepperdine and play right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom