5 college basketball programs that aren't what the used to be | Syracusefan.com

5 college basketball programs that aren't what the used to be

DePaul is building a Wonderful new arena. They will be back in 3 years

They are not in a P-5 and they are neither Nova nor UCon. I would not bet on them coming back to anything near what they once were.

What I found most interesting about the article was the link to the article about the AT&T girl at the bottom :D

I don't see Depaul ever getting back to where they were in the late 70s and early 80s, but there's really no reason they shouldn't be a consistent NIT-level team with the occasional tourney appearance. Moving into a small arena downtown near campus is the best thing that could ever happen to them. Playing in a minor league hockey arena 45 minutes away is just mind-boggling.

I know they were only strong for a short period of time, I wish UMass were stronger. I grew up in Mass, and there was a lot of excitement when they were strong under Calipari.

Purdue kind of came back a bit last year, even though they choked in the tournament, they should have a top 25 team this year.

I always root for Purdue. It seems like they have a large and loyal fanbase, but they have never been to a Final Four.

Come to think of it, I don't think we have played them at any point in the past 20-25 years.

I always root for Purdue. It seems like they have a large and loyal fanbase, but they have never been to a Final Four.

Come to think of it, I don't think we have played them at any point in the past 20-25 years.

Rick Mount...ancient history 1968 (wiki)

In his junior season at Purdue, along with seniors Billy Keller and Herm Gilliam, he led the Boilermakers to a Big Ten Conference title and the school's first NCAA Tournament appearance, leading to the NCAA Finals game where they eventually lost to a Lew Alcindor-led UCLA.

In a win against Marquette to bring the Boilers to the Final Four, Mount is remembered for his "leaping lofter" game-winning shot with two seconds left in overtime. He led all scorers in the tournament with a 40.6 point average in Purdue's three games. Purdue led the nation with 94.8 points a game during the 1968-69 season fronted by Mount's 33.3 a game, in effect beating Indiana 120-76 in the closing game of the regular season, becoming a school record for most points in a game

Rick Mount...ancient history 1968 (wiki)

In his junior season at Purdue, along with seniors Billy Keller and Herm Gilliam, he led the Boilermakers to a Big Ten Conference title and the school's first NCAA Tournament appearance, leading to the NCAA Finals game where they eventually lost to a Lew Alcindor-led UCLA.

In a win against Marquette to bring the Boilers to the Final Four, Mount is remembered for his "leaping lofter" game-winning shot with two seconds left in overtime. He led all scorers in the tournament with a 40.6 point average in Purdue's three games. Purdue led the nation with 94.8 points a game during the 1968-69 season fronted by Mount's 33.3 a game, in effect beating Indiana 120-76 in the closing game of the regular season, becoming a school record for most points in a game

Ahh, maybe I thinking that it was Gene Keady who never made a Final Four.

I don't see Depaul ever getting back to where they were in the late 70s and early 80s, but there's really no reason they shouldn't be a consistent NIT-level team with the occasional tourney appearance. Moving into a small arena downtown near campus is the best thing that could ever happen to them. Playing in a minor league hockey arena 45 minutes away is just mind-boggling.
Although that's where they played in the late 70s early 80s as well...

Every time I think of Purdue I remember Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson,
and the owner of maybe the best put-down nickname I've ever heard:
Joe Barry Carroll aka " Joe Barely Cares".
:rolling:

Every time I think of Purdue I remember Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson,
and the owner of maybe the best put-down nickname I've ever heard:
Joe Barry Carroll aka " Joe Barely Cares".
:rolling:

For some reason, I think about Gene Keady's hair.

A placeholder for UConn was already created for the 2026 article.

And Rutgers, while nothing to begin with has somehow taken sucktitude to another level.

Just hoping that someday when JB isn't on that bench, that we aren't on this list. I doubt it, but it happens to the best of them. Wish the man could coach another twenty years. I think people will realize his brillance when he isn't manning the 'sidelines' anymore.

My other alma mater NYU won two pre NCAA tournaments waaaay back when. Like our helm championship. Scores were like 13 to 11 :) Any team named the Purple Violet has to strike fear into the hearts of the other team.