500+ Yards Total Offense | Syracusefan.com

500+ Yards Total Offense

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Last few years, here's a list of games in which SU has racked up over 500 yards total offense against Power 5 conference opponents (including BE):

2014 - 589 vs. Maryland (L, 34-20)
- None
2012 - 596 vs. Northwestern (L, 42-41 (OT)), 524 vs. Louisville (W, 45-26), 520 vs. South Florida (W, 37-36), 508 vs. Missouri (W, 31-27), 507 vs. West Virginia (W, 38-14), 502 vs. UConn (W, 40-10)
2011 - None
2010 - None
2009 - None

Few things:
1) Other than 2012, we have been awful offensively.

2) The minimum number of points Syracuse has scored with 500+ yards total offense up until Saturday was 31 on the road at Missouri.

3) The yardage was the second highest in the last 6 years against P5 schools, and highest in a regulation contest.

I find those number very fascinating.
  • We are 2-5 [EDIT make that 5-2] on games where we gain 500 yards or more.
  • Only two games were what I would consider blowouts UCONN 40-10 and WV 38-14. (Possibly UL 45-26)
  • Average margin was only 9 points in our favor.
  • I guess yards alone don't mean as much as we might think.
  • Two of the wins were last minute scores by us. USF was the great Ryan Nassib coming from way behind to win in the last minute. Mizzou was last second td pass to Lemon. Lots of errors in that game also if I remember correctly.
  • Two of those games were against a 3-3-5, which we seem to feast on (not so much with NOVA!).
  • Saturday's game was the only one we deserved to lose. In the NW loss we had a backward pass stared at (Jerome) while it was on the ground and NW picked it up for a scoop and score and a pass was deflected off of I think Sales into the arms of the DB and he scored (or set up a score). A real miscue and a bad break.
I guess when the other team scores a lot of points we get more possessions and more chances to gain yards.

Last edited:
I find those number very fascinating.
  • We are 2-5 on games where we gain 500 yards or more.
  • Only two games were what I would consider blowouts UCONN 40-10 and WV 38-14. (Possibly UL 45-26)
  • Average margin was only 9 points in our favor.
  • I guess yards alone don't mean as much as we might think.
  • Two of the wins were last minute scores by us. USF was the great Ryan Nassib coming from way behind to win in the last minute. Mizzou was last second td pass to Lemon. Lots of errors in that game also if I remember correctly.
  • Two of those games were against a 3-3-5, which we seem to feast on (not so much with NOVA!).
  • Saturday's game was the only one we deserved to lose. In the NW loss we had a backward pass stared at (Jerome) while it was on the ground and NW picked it up for a scoop and score and a pass was deflected off of I think Sales into the arms of the DB and he scored (or set up a score). A real miscue and a bad break.
I guess when the other team scores a lot of points we get more possessions and more chances to gain yards.
actually - SU is 5-2 in those games (the 'W' designates a win ;) ) - when SU racks up yardage they usually score points and win

actually - SU is 5-2 in those games (the 'W' designates a win ;) ) - when SU racks up yardage they usually score points and win
Thanks correction made.

That is exactly what I was saying...589 yards mean squat when you are 4-14 on third down and scoring only 20 points. we got most of our yards from our own 10 yard line to about their 30 yard line and our offense **** the bed on execution and play calling after that.
when Hunt has 5 rushing T.D.S inside 8 yard line this tells me the staff has very little confidence in trying to see if other plays work.
We really don't manhandle the other teams D-LINE as we run a lot of trap plays and using pulling guards and tackles to open things up as we have seen in the 'nova game this doesn't work on goal line offense.

We need to change our S&C conditioning program as these are big boys we have on the line.

You very seldom see us do any meaningful motion before the snap which tells me we have set plays only as Hunt stairs down 1 to 1 1/2 receivers as he very seldom throws to a secondary player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom