8th annual Iggy awards thread with a new category | Syracusefan.com

8th annual Iggy awards thread with a new category

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Welcome to the 8th Annual Iggy awards. Yeah, I know, it's hard to believe it's been that long. Congrats again to last year's winners but as we know, as hard as it is to win an Iggy, it's twice as hard to repeat. Just as last season ended on a down note, we are entering this season with a ton a questions and hopefully a lot of optimism about this years squad. And, if we look at the team during the Iggy era, there is usually one player that comes out of nowhere and surprises even the most prolific of Syracusefan.com posters. Who will be this year's MCW or last year's Rakeem Christmas? And as a reward for our patience, we will find out shortly.

Here is the awesome trophy that goes to all the winners, courtesy of Lawrinson Fine Metals, Inc. Thank you again for their continued sponsorship.
iggy-award-jpg.5537

This year's regular season begins on Friday, November 13th at 7 pm vs Lehigh. Our two preseason games do not count but if anyone wants to predict a loss to Le
Moyne, that is your prerogative. However it's the debut of young Patrick Beilein so I think we can all guess what JAB's record is vs him.

It cringes me to think this season begins on a Friday the 13th but we have to set aside our fear of
Triskaidekaphobia.

I'll leave it up to Tomcat to explain that holiday but I will explain the Iggy rules. All entries need to be posted by 5 p.m. of the Lehigh game. At that time, all the entries are locked and kept in a safe room at the NCAA headquarters. I'm not allowed to tell you what happens behind closed doors at the NCAA but from what I understand it's not a visual we would want our kiddies to see. Here are the eight categories, including a new tie breaking question regarding the head coaching debut of Mike Hopkins.

1) Regular season record. There are 31 regular season games.
2) ACC season record. There are 18 ACC games.
3) ACC Tournament record. The most we could play is five games unless we are one of the top four seeds. In that case, the most we could play is three games. And if we are seeds 5-8, the most we could play is four games. See this attached link for further questions about how the tourney is set up. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/acc-tourney-14.pdf Thanks to TDTOrange for that info.
4) Post-season record (and notate if NCAA, NIT, CBI, etc.)
5) Leading scorer and how many points per game
6) Leading rebounder and how many rebounds per game
7) Player with most minutes per game and how many.
8) TIEBREAKER-How many wins will Hop get as a Head Coach this season. (We know JAB is suspended for the first nine games of the ACC season. It's possible that might get revised and if it does, we might need to go to category #7 as the tiebreaker. However, the decision of the judges is final.)

Here are my selections
1) Reg Season Record: 21-10
2) ACC: 10-8
3) ACC Tournament: 1-1
4) Post season Tournament: 2-1 NCAA
5) Leading scorer: 16.1 G
6) Leading rebounder: 8.5 Roberson
7) Most minutes: 35.6 G
8) Hopkins wins: 5

And here are last year's results:
Usually seven is considered a lucky number and we expected some good things for the 7th annual Iggy awards. However it was a very tumultuous season and the wheels fell off pretty quick. Based on the selections, many fans expected great things from CMac and Kaleb. Unfortunately for CMac and Kaleb this season did not materialize as expected.

It was difficult to retrieve the results this early after the end of the regular season as they were locked in a special vault in the NCAA's office in Indianapolis. When I called them up they originally told me that I would have to wait 125 days to get the results. They said they weren't going to release the information but fortunately we were able to negotiate to get the info we needed to be able to proceed.

We also had to negotiate with the Iggy trophy manufacturer. Inexplicably we ended up with two extra Iggy's this year. Something that had to do with not being able to participate in the post season. It all got a little more foggy after I read the 92 page novella that was just released. Fortunately I worked it out with the trophy guy and we donated the two extra Iggy's to be given to the winners of a charity event being hosted by the Y in Oneida. I highly recommend to anyone with kids to give them the opportunity to participate in the great programs the Y hosts. I can tell you that the people that work there are the most honest, straight forward people on the face of the earth. No one will ever steer you wrong. Something that you will remember forever, or for at least for the next five seasons. Kind of like gonorrhea.

1) Regular season record (18-13): We had 82 entries this season. Believe it or not we only had one contestant who correctly chose 18-13. The committee is torn on whether he is a real fan or not. We pictured him sitting on his Barcalounger today rooting for the L so he can add Iggy Award Winner to his resume. Without any further ado, the first Iggy of the evening goes to Bomber Orange.
2) ACC Regular Season record (9-9). We had four contestants who correctly selected 9-9. Thanks for the optimism.

We had to go to the special tiebreaker which involves the player who led the team with most minutes played per game. We all know it was Trevor Cooney who at one point this season was averaging more than 40 minutes per game. Some will argue that playing that many minutes will affect your shooting stroke. White Hot disproved that theory as his shooting percentage became worse after he played less minutes per game and overall his average dropped to 37.2 mpg. The winner of the tiebreaker, and the only one of the four who selected TC, and is therefore the winner of the 2nd Iggy of the is OrangeAl.

3) ACC Tournament Record. This is a great time for a public service announcement by the Iggy committee. We have decided that the real reason that Syracuse chose not to play in the ACC Tournament this season was because, contrary to popular opinion, the Italian food in Greensboro really sucks. No matter how JAB tries to play nice with the folks from Tobacco Road, the veal chops and the cannolis do not compare to the food up north. We have taken a one year exile but promise our fans that next year in Washington DC that they will be able to eat until their hearts are content. Inexplicably, none of our 82 contestants selected 0-0 as our ACCT record.

4) Post season record. Yes, this category is a touchy subject.

5) Leading scorer. Rak 17.6 ppg. Only four out of 82 chose Rak as leading the team in scoring this year. Boy, do we all suck. In fact the closest of those four thought that Rak was going to average 14.8 ppg. We almost had to institute a new rule that you had to be within 2.5 points, but in a close vote, the committee relented to allow this sub par selection to win. So, we are proud to announce that the 3rd Iggy of the evening goes to KaiserUEO.

6) Leading rebounder. Rak 9.0. We had a lot of contestants pick Rak for this one. However everyone underestimated how good Rak was going to be this year. In a very close category, we are happy to award the 4th Iggy of the evening to JackBauer44 who guessed 8.8.

7) Minutes per game. Trevor Cooney 37.2. Normally we only use this category for tiebreakers but we decided to be generous with our extra Iggy's so in another very close contest, we award the last Iggy of the evening to pfister1 who guessed 37.8 and who beat out KaiserUEO by 0.1.

Last edited:
Regular season: 19-12
ACC regular season: 11-7
ACCT: 1-1
NIT: 3-1
Leading scorer: Trevor Cooney 13.8 ppg
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 9.2 rpg
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 36.2 mpg
Hopkins wins: 5 wins

I hate to predict a year so close to last year, but there are still too many questions on this team. I do feel that with the youth on this team that they will improve towards the end of the year and make a little run in the NIT setting up for a monster 2016-17 with who we're bringing in.

Regular season: 24-7
ACC regular season: 15-3
ACCT: 4-0
NCAA: 2-1
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 19.6
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 10.2
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 36.3 mpg
Hopkins wins: 6 wins

Glass half full

Regular Season: 20-11
Acc Reg Season: 10-8
ACCT: 2-1
NCAA: 1-1
Leading Scorer: Gbinije- 14.5
Leading Rebounder: Roberson 7.8
Leading Minutes: Cooney 38.3
Hop Wins: 5

:noidea:

Regular season: 25-6
ACC regular season: 13-5
Leading scorer: Dajuan 13.1 ppg
Leading rebounder: Dajuan 10.2 rpg
Leading Minutes: Silent G 35.2 mpg
Hopkins wins: 0 wins

orange colored glasses

Regular season: 25-6
ACC regular season: 13-5
Leading scorer: Dajuan 13.1 ppg
Leading rebounder: Dajuan 10.2 rpg
Leading Minutes: Silent G 35.2 mpg
Hopkins wins: 0 wins

orange colored glasses
If Hopkins won 0 games, that would make the ACC reg season 9-9 at best, no? Or did you mean 9?

Regular season: 21-10
ACC regular season: 10-8
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 16.7
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 8.8
Leading Minutes: Michael Gbinije 37.3 mpg
Hopkins wins: 4 wins

Last edited:
Regular Season: 23-8
ACC Regular Season: 12-6
ACCT: 3-1
Leading Scorer: Gbinije 16.5 ppg
Leading Rebounder: Roberson 9.8 rpg
Leading Minutes: Cooney 37.3 mpg

We will be better than people think.

Syracuse wins all games not coached by JB.
(channeling my inner Iggy)

Wish I was more bullish:

Regular season: 18-13
ACC regular season: 9-9
NCAA- 1-1
Leading scorer: Gbinije- 14.5
Leading rebounder: Roberson 9.0
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 35

First, thanks for doing this clifton.

NIT: 2-1
Leading scorer: Silent G 17.6 ppg
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 9.0 rpg
Leading minutes: Silent G 37.2 mpg

Last edited:
Next year will be much better

NIT: 2-1
Leading scorer: Silent G 15.2 ppg
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 7.1 rpg
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 37.3 mpg

Regular season: 20-11
ACC regular season: 12-6
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 16.2
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 8.7
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 37.4 mpg

Thank you for organizing this!

Regular season: 22-9
ACC regular season: 10-8
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 15.8
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 8.4
Leading Minutes: Trevor Cooney 36.2 mpg

So are we able to post our predictions after the 2 exhibitions?

I'm not budging. :)
Regular season: 24-7
ACC regular season: 11-5
ACCT: 4-0
NCAA: 6-0

Leading scorer: Mike G Money 15.3
Leading rebounder: Beast Roberson 7.9
Leading Minutes: Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooney 35.8 mpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time I've participated. There will now be an official record of how much of an idiot I am.

Regular season: 21-10
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 17.3 ppg
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 8.6 rpg
Leading Minutes: Gbinije 37.7 mpg

Last edited:
ACCT: 3-1
NCAA: 4-1
Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 15.6
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 9.6
Leading Minutes: Michael Gbinije 34.6 mpg

1) Regular season record. 24-7
2) ACC season record. 12-6
3) ACC Tournament record. 3-1
4) Post-season record: NCAA - 6-0
5) Leading scorer and how many points per game - Silent G 17.2
6) Leading rebounder and how many rebounds per game - Roberson 7.9
7) Player with most minutes per game and how many. Silent G - 36.5
8) TIEBREAKER-How many wins will Hop get as a Head Coach this season. 6

This is the first time I've participated. There will now be an official record of how much of an idiot I am.

Leading scorer: Michael Gbinije 17.3 ppg
Leading rebounder: Tyler Roberson 8.6 rpg
Leading Minutes: Gbinije 37.7 mpg

Okay the bible, aka Blue Ribbon, arrived today. So I may be amending my picks before the deadline now that I can actually do some research rather than pull numbers out of my rear.

1) Regular season record. There are 31 regular season games.
2) ACC season record. There are 18 ACC games.
3) ACC Tournament record. The most we could play is five games unless we are one of the top four seeds. In that case, the most we could play is three games. And if we are seeds 5-8, the most we could play is four games. See this attached link for further questions about how the tourney is set up. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/acc-tourney-14.pdf Thanks to TDTOrange for that info.
4) Post-season record (and notate if NCAA, NIT, CBI, etc.)
5) Leading scorer and how many points per game
6) Leading rebounder and how many rebounds per game
7) Player with most minutes per game and how many.
8) TIEBREAKER-How many wins will Hop get as a Head Coach this season. (We know JAB is suspended for the first nine games of the ACC season. It's possible that might get revised and if it does, we might need to go to category #7 as the tiebreaker. However, the decision of the judges is final.)

1. 21-10
2. 10-8
3. 2-1
4. 1-1 (NCAA)
5. Gbinije - 16.7 ppg
6. Roberson - 9.4 rpg
7. Gbinije - 37.1 mpg
8. Hopkins - 5 wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads