#98 for Michigan | Syracusefan.com

#98 for Michigan

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
Since I do not want to talk about the stupid Northwestern game tonight, Gardner for Michigan wearing #98 for a huge national game tonight got me thinking. I know we have talked about "awarding" #44 to an incoming freshmen RB, or to a senior who's "earned it" like a Jerome Smith. What if we instead did something like Michigan has done and award it to a player for the game. It does not need to be an RB specifically, just a different player for each game. #98 really stood out being worn by a QB tonight, and warrants the attention and questions that #44 does for Syracuse. Thoughts? Could Syracuse follow a similar model?

Note: I may have misunderstood the premise of my post, is Gardner wearing #98 for the rest of the season?

He was outstanding tonight. Really like Gardner.

I like the idea of honoring Tom Harmon, but I thought the NCAA had guidelines that limited backs to specific numbers and that 98 was not one of them. Probably got a waiver?

I like the idea of honoring Tom Harmon, but I thought the NCAA had guidelines that limited backs to specific numbers and that 98 was not one of them. Probably got a waiver?

Eligible receivers have to wear 1-49 or 80-99.

ARTICLE 1. It is strongly recommended that offensive players be numbered according to the following diagram that shows one of many offensive formations (Rule 1-4-2-b):

• Backs 1–49
  • Snapper 50–59
  • Guard 60–69
  • Tackle 70–79
  • End 80–99

ARTICLE 2.
a. All players shall be numbered 1 through 99. Any number preceded by zero (“0’’) is illegal.
b. On a scrimmage down, at least five offensive players on the scrimmage line shall be numbered 50 through 79.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom