A few thoughts on Dino | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts on Dino

Rocco

Watching you.
He's 5 days away from his 1st game as the SU Football HC. That is exciting as hell.

What more can be said about the guy since he's been hired?

He's remained extremely tight-lipped about most things, which annoys many of you, but that I find to be perfect for the job. Keep 'em guessing. He came here to win games, no sense in showing his cards.

He has been active in the community and on the fan support trail making many appearances all over. I love the idea of the "No Huddle Tour". I hope we see that continue to be expanded down the line. Gaining more interest in Buffalo, Rochester and Southern Tier is huge for the SUAD. Winning ball games is probably the biggest catalyst to gaining new fans, but these types of outreach events can't hurt.

He is bringing arguably the most exciting offensive style in all of college football to the DOME. It's basically a match-made in heaven. Once he gets his system fully installed and his players buy in, the weather will never be an issue. "Orange is the New Fast" could be legitimate. IMO, this also helps to attract the fans back into the Dome. I loved Shafer's attacking, blitzing D, but that didn't put people in the stands. Watching a team put up 35-40+ points every week will.

I don't get caught up in the whole "this is my last job" rhetoric because everyone's situation changes over time. Let's just be happy we have him now, today. If this works out and the school compensates him correctly, it will hopefully never be an issue. He seems to already take quite a bit of pride in the football program's strong tradition and history, and is damn near obsessed to get us back to prominence. I've heard him speak a few times in closed settings, and you can feel his passion and excitement when talking about it. Hard not to get jacked up when listening to that.

He now has AD John Wildhack by his side. John knows what it will take to get us to the next level, and Dino is very aware of that. That is a powerful weapon that should not be discounted. They're both here to WIN and do their part to make Syracuse successful again.

As for his character, I can't speak to that as I don't know him personally. I've had the chance to meet him a few times, but nothing more than small talk. From everything we hear, he seems to be a strong family man with a proud wife and solid kids. Raising a family is and always will be a man's hardest job. It all starts from there and hopefully he will be able to instill those values and beliefs into his team. I thought Shaf did an excellent job at this, too.

The man has a proven track record. There is no reason to think that it can't be replicated at Cuse, on a much larger scale no less. The system takes time, and when it "clicks", things will be awesome around here. I think we surprise some people as early as this year. I really do. I also know we have to have some patience as well. Once we're firing on all cylinders though, we'll be a Top 25 team again. You watch...

See you all on Friday! LGO.

Rocco said:
He's 5 days away from his 1st game as the SU Football HC. That is exciting as hell. What more can be said about the guy since he's been hired? He's remained extremely tight-lipped about most things, which annoys many of you, but that I find to be perfect for the job. Keep 'em guessing. He came here to win games, no sense in showing his cards. He has been active in the community and on the fan support trail making many appearances all over. I love the idea of the "No Huddle Tour". I hope we see that continue to be expanded down the line. Gaining more interest in Buffalo, Rochester and Southern Tier is huge for the SUAD. Winning ball games is probably the biggest catalyst to gaining new fans, but these types of outreach events can't hurt. He is bringing arguably the most exciting offensive style in all of college football to the DOME. It's basically a match-made in heaven. Once he gets his system fully installed and his players buy in, the weather will never be an issue. "Orange is the New Fast" could be legitimate. IMO, this also helps to attract the fans back into the Dome. I loved Shafer's attacking, blitzing D, but that didn't put people in the stands. Watching a team put up 35-40+ points every week will. I don't get caught up in the whole "this is my last job" rhetoric because everyone's situation changes over time. Let's just be happy we have him now, today. If this works out and the school compensates him correctly, it will hopefully never be an issue. He seems to already take quite a bit of pride in the football program's strong tradition and history, and is damn near obsessed to get us back to prominence. I've heard him speak a few times in closed settings, and you can feel his passion and excitement when talking about it. Hard not to get jacked up when listening to that. He now has AD John Wildhack by his side. John knows what it will take to get us to the next level, and Dino is very aware of that. That is a powerful weapon that should not be discounted. They're both here to WIN and do their part to make Syracuse successful again. As for his character, I can't speak to that as I don't know him personally. I've had the chance to meet him a few times, but nothing more than small talk. From everything we hear, he seems to be a strong family man with a proud wife and solid kids. Raising a family is and always will be a man's hardest job. It all starts from there and hopefully he will be able to instill those values and beliefs into his team. I thought Shaf did an excellent job at this, too. The man has a proven track record. There is no reason to think that it can't be replicated at Cuse, on a much larger scale no less. The system takes time, and when it "clicks", things will be awesome around here. I think we surprise some people as early as this year. I really do. I also know we have to have some patience as well. Once we're firing on all cylinders though, we'll be a Top 25 team again. You watch... See you all on Friday! LGO.

Great post, Rocco.

Side note: I re-watched as many early Briles Baylor games as I could find - and the games they struggled in were windy and/or rainy games with slow field conditions or bad throwing conditions. The Dome was made for this.

Good post -- excited to see how Dino brings it together: special teams, defense, and a pass-focused offense.

I don't think "keep them guessing" amounts to much. From BGSU video, opposing coaches can know Dino's offense and Brian Ward's defense. Scouts can sketch out our depth chart (only a few unknowns), and evaluate our strengths & weaknesses entering the season. It will come back to basics -- can we run block, can our receivers get some separation, can we pressure the passer and stay close to receivers ...

Another thing I forgot to add was his calm demeanor. As we saw during that pep talk from practice a few weeks ago, he has the ability to bring some fire to the mix when he needs to, but other than that, he is very collected and cool most of the time. At times last year, Shafer was over the top, even though I liked his fiery attitude. When you start getting flagged for your sideline behavior, it's an issue though.

It will be nice to see someone like Babers, who barely shows any sideline emotion, but is always coaching up and being positive when his players come off the field.

Good post -- excited to see how Dino brings it together: special teams, defense, and a pass-focused offense.

I don't think "keep them guessing" amounts to much. From BGSU video, opposing coaches can know Dino's offense and Brian Ward's defense. Scouts can sketch out our depth chart (only a few unknowns), and evaluate our strengths & weaknesses entering the season. It will come back to basics -- can we run block, can our receivers get some separation, can we pressure the passer and stay close to receivers ...

Not saying it "amounts to much", but we have a completely different offense than we did last year. Besides understanding the system (which you can find with a little research as you noted) is one thing, but the speed and relentless tempo is extremely difficult for opposing DC to prepare for. It involves quite a bit of personnel rotations to keep fresh legs on the field.

Saying too much only hurts IMO, nothing more nothing less.

True to an extent, but no amount of watching BGSU game film is going to prepare an opponent for what Ishmael can do, or Irv, etc.

Not saying it "amounts to much", but we have a completely different offense than we did last year. Besides understanding the system (which you can find with a little research as you noted) is one thing, but the speed and relentless tempo is extremely difficult for opposing DC to prepare for. It involves quite a bit of personnel rotations to keep fresh legs on the field.

Saying too much only hurts IMO, nothing more nothing less.
Everybody thinks they know Boeheim's defense as well, but it always seems to take several of our opponents by surprise. He wins year in and year out because he knows that 80% of the teams that Syracuse faces won't have the specific pieces to beat it Babers recruits to his system as well. His is an organic system and we will live or die by the on-field performance of it. He's already stated that he won't change it up. He won't tweak it.
We hired a friendlier version of Boeheim for our football coach.

True to an extent, but no amount of watching BGSU game film is going to prepare an opponent for what Ishmael can do, or Irv, etc.

OK, but opposing scouts can put two and two together. You scout the SU players from our video (including our Spring game), and project where they fit in the Babers offense. It is more about execution than fooling people.

Frankly, we have as much or more info about what Dino is trying to do, and the skill players he is using, than we had a year ago with Lester and Hunt (then Dungey, then Mahoney; with Fredericks).

SoBristol said:
OK, but opposing scouts can put two and two together. You scout the SU players from our video (including our Spring game), and project where they fit in the Babers offense. It is more about execution than fooling people. Frankly, we have as much or more info about what Dino is trying to do, and the skill players he is using, than we had a year ago with Lester and Hunt (then Dungey, then Mahoney; with Fredericks).

I continue to believe camp and Dino were quiet so that the team could focus - not to keep "the secret sauce" hidden from opponents. This system has been "in the wild" at Baylor for 8 or 9 years and teams in the Big 12 were still getting slaughtered.

You're 100% on execution. I think they won't be able to execute fast enough to really get the full Babers. But it will be a very fun glimpse on Fri night.

It's not so much that it annoys people as it is that people are genuinely excited so they want to soak up as much of it as possible.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nor is Dino's approach. Do what you have to do. We can wait.

Even though I can't wait.

Well said Rocco. There aren't many feelings that are as great as celebrating a touchdown with 40,000 people. The rush, joy, excitement and a great reason to stand up and high five, hug and throw your hands in the air. You also get a reprieve from sitting on a rock hard seat, lol.

This is what bring people back and something you can't get on your 70" curved screen 4K, High Def TV.

More TD's are needed. Even if you have to sacrifice some defense or even open the possibility of more What games.

Bring us back the loving feeling Dino!!!

OK, but opposing scouts can put two and two together. You scout the SU players from our video (including our Spring game), and project where they fit in the Babers offense. It is more about execution than fooling people.

Frankly, we have as much or more info about what Dino is trying to do, and the skill players he is using, than we had a year ago with Lester and Hunt (then Dungey, then Mahoney; with Fredericks).

Again, I get what you're saying. But watching BGSU tapes will give them some intel on formations, snap count, etc. But Matt Johnson isn't Eric Dungey. That stuff only gives you so much. I believe that there are things players like Philips, Moe Neal, Estime, Strickland, and Fredricks can do that their counterparts on BGSU might not have been able to.

And that works both ways. Maybe Johnson can make some throws that Dungey can't. Or maybe his second year immersion in Babers's system enabled them to do things differently than what we'll see this year.

I completely agree that they'll watch old game film of SU, too, and probably spring game footage. But seeing how our players lined up last year and the things we had them do in another system will be fundamentally different than how they're utilized in Babers offense. Knowing what's coming and being able to stop it are two different things.

Not even sure that I'm arguing with your point, BTW--just excited for SU football and enjoying being able to chat about it!

I love the community involvement. Something as simple as his tweet today congratulating the Maine Endwell little league team shows he wants to be a part of the NY State community not just the Syracuse community.

Totally agree, while i do understand that nfl offenses are alot more vanilla than college; nfl practices are NEVER closed. They actually encourage 5k people to watch;) at the end of the day its all about execution and play calling.

nfl is all about open ness and gambling. much more than college is.

I continue to believe camp and Dino were quiet so that the team could focus - not to keep "the secret sauce" hidden from opponents. This system has been "in the wild" at Baylor for 8 or 9 years and teams in the Big 12 were still getting slaughtered.

You're 100% on execution. I think they won't be able to execute fast enough to really get the full Babers. But it will be a very fun glimpse on Fri night.
several posters said that they hoped that he would be quiet and focus, long before there was camp. some of us were even brazen enough to say that ft. drum should not be a week long. that time was necessary for the team to focus, assess players, install systems etc etc. that time was needed due to the circumstances of having a new regime. i am not sure where the secret sauce analogy comes from. if they want to see the secret sauce watch the bg tapes. hcdb made a statement by his cordial silence. this is my team, i am in charge, and i will let you know when i am ready to. no bravado just a quiet steadfast confidence----very refreshing

tipphill said:
several posters said that they hoped that he would be quiet and focus, long before there was camp. some of us were even brazen enough to say that ft. drum should not be a week long. that time was necessary for the team to focus, assess players, install systems etc etc. that time was needed due to the circumstances of having a new regime. i am not sure where the secret sauce analogy comes from. if they want to see the secret sauce watch the bg tapes. hcdb made a statement by his cordial silence. this is my team, i am in charge, and i will let you know when i am ready to. no bravado just a quiet steadfast confidence----very refreshing

People keep saying its for secrecy. Not you or I, but others. I agree that it's refreshing.

Great post, Rocco! Agree about the TD excitement factor. My daughter (now 11) asked a few years back if she prefers SU basketball or football, answered without hesitation: "Football."
-Why?
-Because TOUCHDOWN!!!

It's not so much that it annoys people as it is that people are genuinely excited so they want to soak up as much of it as possible.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nor is Dino's approach. Do what you have to do. We can wait.

Even though I can't wait.

I completely understand. Perhaps "annoy" was the wrong word to use.

After all, we're all Cuse FB addicts in search of our next fix.

He is the reason the wife and I are first time season ticket holders. We've been to plenty of non Dome games, but Dino finally reeled us in and we making the trip up as many times as we can :)

That is really great. Welcome to the madness, full-time. ;)

After all, we're all Cuse FB addicts in search of our next fix.

Hey man! I can give ups Syracuse football whenever I want! I just don't want to.

(O.K., I can't, but I am not joining a 12 step program for this addiction! I still enjoy it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom