A Few Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A Few Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
1. Their was absolutely no way that we could stay with that FSU team. They are absolutely loaded with talent - 4 & 5 star recruits at every position. Patrick was a horse & Maguire has a serious arm & both of those guys are their backups !!! They simply have far too much speed, strength, & talent for us to matchup against.
2. On a good day maybe we could have played them a bit closer - several calls blown by the refs did not help us - two missed pass interference calls & a missed face mask call. However, the result would not have changed, but maybe the margin would have made us more respectable.
3. Our passing game is just not that good against better teams. We lack great, or even very good receivers, and Dungey may become a seriously good QB in time, but that time is not this season & probably won't even be next season. Against better teams he looks pretty raw. In today's college game better teams need to be able to throw for 300 yards plus every game - we aren't even in the same time zone in terms of being able to do that.
4. Our running game is quite mediocre, we do not have a horse in the backfield & the backs we have do not have much in the way of holes to run through.
5. We have a lot of problems on D, mostly stemming from mediocre talent levels. If our line isn't strong enough & our dbs aren't fast enough what can be accomplished through coaching is limited. however, the biggest problem when all is said & done is poor tackling. Maybe some of that is poor technique, which could be coached up, but a lot of it is simply that our guys aren't strong or athletic enough as a group.
6. Brings me to coaching and the HCSS controversy. I have been in the I support HCSS category pending how the season plays out. I am still in that category, but I must say that he did a really poor job of clock management at the end of the first half. Unnecessary timeouts and a poor decision to squib kick allowed FSU enough time to come down the field, score a TD, and kill any small hope we had of springing a HUGE upset.

Bottom line, IMHO this board gets too carried away with optimism when we beat up on the Rhode Islands and Wake Forests of this world.We are in the ACC, those teams are not the measuring sticks. No way we can measure against FSU or Clemson, but we should be measuring against the PITTs, NC States and BCs of that league. So, yes, so far we seem to be improving compared to last season in that regard even though we don't have any wins so far to show for it. The BC game will be huge because that is our best chance to get another W and to show statistical progress against last season. We also need to continue to show improvement in recruiting. The 4 & 5 star kids aren't exactly flocking here, but we seem to be gradually enhancing the talent by pretty much getting all three stars now. So, is HCSS the answer ? Truthfully, I do not know, but I also do not know that he ISN'T the answer. As long as the team plays hard to the end and the recruiting upswings; however, slowly, he should get one more season regardless of the final W-L record.

1. Their was absolutely no way that we could stay with that FSU team. They are absolutely loaded with talent - 4 & 5 star recruits at every position. Patrick was a horse & Maguire has a serious arm & both of those guys are their backups !!! They simply have far too much speed, strength, & talent for us to matchup against.
2. On a good day maybe we could have played them a bit closer - several calls blown by the refs did not help us - two missed pass interference calls & a missed face mask call. However, the result would not have changed, but maybe the margin would have made us more respectable.
3. Our passing game is just not that good against better teams. We lack great, or even very good receivers, and Dungey may become a seriously good QB in time, but that time is not this season & probably won't even be next season. Against better teams he looks pretty raw. In today's college game better teams need to be able to throw for 300 yards plus every game - we aren't even in the same time zone in terms of being able to do that.
4. Our running game is quite mediocre, we do not have a horse in the backfield & the backs we have do not have much in the way of holes to run through.
5. We have a lot of problems on D, mostly stemming from mediocre talent levels. If our line isn't strong enough & our dbs aren't fast enough what can be accomplished through coaching is limited. however, the biggest problem when all is said & done is poor tackling. Maybe some of that is poor technique, which could be coached up, but a lot of it is simply that our guys aren't strong or athletic enough as a group.
6. Brings me to coaching and the HCSS controversy. I have been in the I support HCSS category pending how the season plays out. I am still in that category, but I must say that he did a really poor job of clock management at the end of the first half. Unnecessary timeouts and a poor decision to squib kick allowed FSU enough time to come down the field, score a TD, and kill any small hope we had of springing a HUGE upset.

Bottom line, IMHO this board gets too carried away with optimism when we beat up on the Rhode Islands and Wake Forests of this world.We are in the ACC, those teams are not the measuring sticks. No way we can measure against FSU or Clemson, but we should be measuring against the PITTs, NC States and BCs of that league. So, yes, so far we seem to be improving compared to last season in that regard even though we don't have any wins so far to show for it. The BC game will be huge because that is our best chance to get another W and to show statistical progress against last season. We also need to continue to show improvement in recruiting. The 4 & 5 star kids aren't exactly flocking here, but we seem to be gradually enhancing the talent by pretty much getting all three stars now. So, is HCSS the answer ? Truthfully, I do not know, but I also do not know that he ISN'T the answer. As long as the team plays hard to the end and the recruiting upswings; however, slowly, he should get one more season regardless of the final W-L record.
They just lost to G tech. They beat b.c. by 10. We are not as good as FSU. No one on this board would say otherwise. But teams that aren't as good stay with superior teams all the time. We aren't one of them.

dasher said:
They just lost to G tech. They beat b.c. by 10. We are not as good as FSU. No one on this board would say otherwise. But teams that aren't as good stay with superior teams all the time. We aren't one of them.

SU lost to LSU by 10 and a ranked Pitt team by 3.

Last year SU lost to Clemson by 10 on the road.

Great post. Realistic and mature, a rarity the last few days.

LSU's offense is a one man show. We had calls bounce our way in that game. We could be close to Pitt's record if we had good breaks like they have in the 4th quarter. FSU is a damn great football team, they are better with Golson on the beach. Maguire keeps the defense honest with the ability to throw the deep ball.

LSU's offense is a one man show. We had calls bounce our way in that game. We could be close to Pitt's record if we had good breaks like they have in the 4th quarter. FSU is a damn great football team, they are better with Golson on the beach. Maguire keeps the defense honest with the ability to throw the deep ball.
Then why did Jimbo Fisher, excuse me, National Championship winning head coach Jimbo Fisher decide to bring in a different QB at the eleventh hour to be their starter?

Then why did Jimbo Fisher, excuse me, National Championship winning head coach Jimbo Fisher decide to bring in a different QB at the eleventh hour to be their starter?
You would have to ask him that question, sorry I don't have that answer for you.

cuseguy said:
SU lost to LSU by 10 and a ranked Pitt team by 3. Last year SU lost to Clemson by 10 on the road.

Shh! Those don't count.

You would have to ask him that question, sorry I don't have that answer for you.
Come on, man. That's basically the same as telling me that when I coach Florida State I can decide when to bring in 5th year senior QB trabsfers transfers.

OttoinGrotto said:

Grass is always greener, man. They went with him, he was okay, he lost a game, now to keep hope alive you go to the next guy that can do stuff the other guy can't.

We're so use to having crap players at QB we can fathom having a few good ones... Which one of these really talented players do I think can win vs which one of these guys sucks less

I was at the LSU game and we played about as well as we could. Still, let's not get carried away. LSU ended the game taking knees inside our 10 and had an 87 yd td run called back. Pitt is overachieving, something I'd sure like to see SU do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom