A lot of next year hinges on... | Syracusefan.com

A lot of next year hinges on...

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
The development of Tyler Lydon. Development meaning strength and the ability to dribble is the number one development we need. If he can learn how to be effective out of the triple threat, he can be a wing player alongside of Battle and Gillon/Howard. If not, we have to go three guards. What scares me more than anything about Mali leaving is that if a guard gets hurt, this team is TOAST. We legit don't even have a fourth guard on the roster. That's bananas. Hope to god for health this season. If everyone stays healthy, this team will compete for a second weekend in the NCAAs. With Mali, we are a great bet to make the FF. Best of luck, Mal!

I think Lydon is going to have a big year, I think it hinges on Roberson, if he can give us a senior year similar to Rak and G, we will be in good shape, we need him to have a huge year, and improve on the offensive end.

I think Lydon is going to have a big year, I think it hinges on Roberson, if he can give us a senior year similar to Rak and G, we will be in good shape, we need him to have a huge year, and improve on the offensive end.
Roberson is not going to give us Rak and G numbers. If he can hit the 10 footer on a regular basis, that would be big.

Roberson doesn't have to hit any specific numbers, but he does need to bring it every game and be consistent, consistently good! He's getting better at that, and I think next season, he will do so. He better do so. That would be an excellent forward combo with him and TL.

The development of Tyler Lydon. Development meaning strength and the ability to dribble is the number one development we need. If he can learn how to be effective out of the triple threat, he can be a wing player alongside of Battle and Gillon/Howard. If not, we have to go three guards. What scares me more than anything about Mali leaving is that if a guard gets hurt, this team is TOAST. We legit don't even have a fourth guard on the roster. That's bananas. Hope to god for health this season. If everyone stays healthy, this team will compete for a second weekend in the NCAAs. With Mali, we are a great bet to make the FF. Best of luck, Mal!

Funny you say that. Personally I think Lydon is the only player on the team that we don't have to worry about next season. I would tend to agree with Briancuse, that it hinges more on Roberson. The team started playing great in March, and it coincided with Roberson coming to play in all the tourney games. He needs to average close to a double-double, and just can't have those games where he completely disappears. And if he can start knocking down that 15 foot elbow jumper consistently it would be huge.

Last edited:
If Robey can consistently hit that 10-15 footer he'll be devastating on offense between that and his knack for offensive boards.

If he's taking multiple mid range jumpers I'd rather him pass it a few more feet out to somebody capable of making a three. With the way our offense has been the past few years it would be a mistake to try and incorporate mid range jumpers into our offense.

Personally I think Lydon is the only player on the team that we don't have to worry about next season. QUOTE]
I agree.
Although I do think it's time he finally makes one of those Superman dunks where he takes off from the foul line.
If he ever finishes one of those in the Dome the roof may come off before they do any of the renovations.

Roberson is not going to give us Rak and G numbers. If he can hit the 10 footer on a regular basis, that would be big.

Rak and G numbers are going to come from Gillon and Howard feeding him the ball on a low post pass.

Funny you say that. Personally I think Lydon is the only player on the team that we don't have to worry about next season. I would tend to agree with Briancuse, that it hinges more on Roberson. The team started playing great in March, and it coincided with Roberson coming to play in all the tourney games. He needs to average close to a double-double, and just can't have those games where he completely disappears. And if he can start knocking down that 15 foot elbow jumper consistently it would be huge.
Syracuse likes to play three guys who are capable on the perimeter offensively. We cannot have Lydon, Roberson, and Chukwu on the court at the same time offensively if Lydon does not improve his off the dribble and triple threat game. I think Lydon realizes that and knows thats the main part of his game that has to improve. He is probably a 3 in the NBA and it would be HUGE for him if he added that element to his game.

Syracuse likes to play three guys who are capable on the perimeter offensively. We cannot have Lydon, Roberson, and Chukwu on the court at the same time offensively if Lydon does not improve his off the dribble and triple threat game. I think Lydon realizes that and knows thats the main part of his game that has to improve. He is probably a 3 in the NBA and it would be HUGE for him if he added that element to his game.

By the end of the season Lydon started going to the hole. He will be fine as the lead dog. I'm less worried about him than I am the guards ability to shoot. That could end up being our fatal flaw.

If he's taking multiple mid range jumpers I'd rather him pass it a few more feet out to somebody capable of making a three. With the way our offense has been the past few years it would be a mistake to try and incorporate mid range jumpers into our offense.
Roberson is going to have the opportunity to shoot mid-range jumpers by default. He'll make them this year and that will really open up the 3 ball.

Roberson is going to have the opportunity to shoot mid-range jumpers by default. He'll make them this year and that will really open up the 3 ball.

Consider he regressed doing that in the past three years why do you make it sound like this is a sure thing?

I think that next year's team could have better passing from the guards and will have better depth at the center position. They could also be better at fast breaks. Battle seems like he'll be a better open floor player than we've had in a while. I think that they'll be a little worse on D at the top of the zone.
For me, the critical question is shooting from the guards. I'd like to think that Howard will improve considerably and that Battle and Gillon will shoot close to their HS/1st 2 years of college averages. If that happens we'll be good, but the SU fan pessimist in me is worried.

Consider he regressed doing that in the past three years why do you make it sound like this is a sure thing?
Because it appeared he had finally gotten the message during the NCAA run. He's got the skill, the problem is mostly between his ears.

Because it appeared he had finally gotten the message during the NCAA run. He's got the skill, the problem is mostly between his ears.

I didn't see the mid range jumper outside of one make and about 10 misses. He is what he is. A great rebounder on both ends, offense isn't his game and probably won't be any time soon.

Roberson's going to surprise all of you.

Re-watch his games against Duke. All that kid needs is a little more consistency and fire.

Losing to UNC in the final four, coming into his senior year, I think he's going to be coming in with a chip on his shoulder. He has the athletic ability and skills.

Roberson's going to surprise all of you.

Re-watch his games against Duke. All that kid needs is a little more consistency and fire.

Losing to UNC in the final four, coming into his senior year, I think he's going to be coming in with a chip on his shoulder. He has the athletic ability and skills.

I hope so, this can be his team, he needs to play like that all the time, and give us some more on the offensive end.

I didn't see the mid range jumper outside of one make and about 10 misses. He is what he is. A great rebounder on both ends, offense isn't his game and probably won't be any time soon.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but if he gains the confidence he needs, you'll see the jumper going down more often.

Players can improve year over year. I'm not suggesting he's going to have the kind of year that Rak did, but there was a lot of the same sentiment you're expressing above that was emphatically stated about how Rak's senior year would unfold.

We've had a number of senior bigs have good seasons in their last go around, taking things up a notch. Arinze, Rick, Rak. Why not Rob? The crazy thing is, it wouldn't take all that much improvement to push him into the 12-14 ppg range.

Some may think this is crazy some may not be surprised by this but I'm making a prediction that Lydon is a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Players can improve year over year. I'm not suggesting he's going to have the kind of year that Rak did, but there was a lot of the same sentiment you're expressing above that was emphatically stated about how Rak's senior year would unfold.

We've had a number of senior bigs have good seasons in their last go around, taking things up a notch. Arinze, Rick, Rak. Why not Rob? The crazy thing is, it wouldn't take all that much improvement to push him into the 12-14 ppg range.

He can absolutely score in that range imo. But it would be from offensive put backs. I just don't see the jumper.

Rak showed the signs, Rick showed the signs, AO showed the signs. No signs showing Roberson will hit that J with consistency.

I'm discrediting his value at all, we need him to average a ton of boards and be good on offense with the layups and dunks, I wish I could see a consistent J in his game but he's shown nothing in 3 years saying it will.

Some may think this is crazy some may not be surprised by this but I'm making a prediction that Lydon is a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Next years draft is suppose to be loaded, top five might be a bit high, he could be a lottery pick for sure.

I'm much more concerned with the guard play next year. I think we'll be fine at Center and the forwards. We'll have size talent and depth. Honestly, it will come down to whether or not we can get decent play at the point and if we can consistently hit outside shots. We have Lydon to hit shots, but not sure how effective Gillon will be due to his size. I'm hoping for the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom