A lot of truth here. | Syracusefan.com

A lot of truth here.

We've had triple headers in the Dome before...

Cornell played Hobart a few years ago, and RIT has made a few appearances.

I guess I'm dense but I don't see how playing games early helps generate more revenue? I would think the opposite would be true.

Duke has already played 4 games half way through Feb and will have 6 by the end of the month.

They are playing the max amount of games they can (15). Desko (I am assuming it was his call) chose to space out the schedule this year which is why SU only has 12 games. With a much younger offense next year I expect at least one or two more cupcake type teams to be added to the sched.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ton-lacrosse-column-0217-20150216-column.html

I think SU is driving this to some extent. I'm sure Desko doesn't want any 5 games in 15 days stretches ever again.

If it is going to go this way, then SU should make the dome available to other teams in the area to play February games.

Having the Dome and the IPF now give Syracuse a huge advantage especially when you consider that the early February starts to the season look like they are here to stay for the forseeable future. Nothing against Cornell, Hobart, Albany or Colgate but SU doesn't owe them jack, trust me if the roles were reversed they sure as hell wouldn't be helping us.

Having the Dome and the IPF now give Syracuse a huge advantage especially when you consider that the early February starts to the season look like they are here to stay for the forseeable future. Nothing against Cornell, Hobart, Albany or Colgate but SU doesn't owe them jack, trust me if the roles were reversed they sure as hell wouldn't be helping us.

We'll be playing football games at Cornell while the Dome roof is being rebuilt in a few years. ;)

It's not good for the sport. Games in the snow in front of 100 people doesn't do anyone any good.

I think it was definitely a factor against Cornell. How could they play outside to scrimmage when snow / brutal cold is such an issue? They have a multi-purpose indoor facility, but it isn't full 120 yards.

It's not good for the sport. Games in the snow in front of 100 people doesn't do anyone any good.

Then its up to that schools conference and AD to push back. Albany doesnt play its first game until this Saturday so they at least got it to the end of February. Syracuse cant be the Pide Piper of indoor facilities for NY, this is Div 1, schools need to figure it out. No one cried for Syracuse last year when we couldnt practice on a full field the first month of the season because the dome was unavailable.

I guess I'm dense but I don't see how playing games early helps generate more revenue? I would think the opposite would be true.

I'm with you. From a television revenue standpoint, it would make more sense to battle collegiate baseball/softball in the spring rather than basketball in the winter. The sport's exposure is already too limited as it is in March. In February it's not on anyone's radar expect for the dedicated lax fan. The sport needs to continue attracting the casual viewer and have opportunities for exposure. Going toe-to-toe with basketball conference play on the road to March just doesn't make sense from this perspective.

There is also that pesky "weather in February" issue...

Back in the day, and I mean back in the day, Lax practice starting on March 1st on Hendricks Field regardless of rain, snow or blizzard. When the snow was too deep a nearby tennis court was shoveled and allowed for a very short field practice.

Lacrosse is in rapid growth mode. Just go to HS fields in Texas and California and you will see what I mean. I think they are trying to figure out how to expand the season and gain additional exposure but outdoor games in the old strongholds of college lacrosse (the northeast and mid-Atlantic) make no sense, let alone in Big 10 country and Denver. Interesting to see how this will be handled.

HWS Athletics ‏@hwssid
.@HobartLacrosse home opener vs. @CornellLacrosse moved to Greater Binghamton Sports Complex http://bit.ly/1E5YbGm
Sad.

If games are to start earlier in the year, then northern schools without proper facilities will need to play their first games a bit further south. The only problem is that there aren't enough such programs. Perhaps if UF, FSU, UGA, GIT, Clemson & NC State were to get with the program it would help a bit... but only a bit.

February games just don't work for the vast majority of lax programs. It's up to the affected schools to turn back this early-schedule tide.

RF2044 said:
I think it was definitely a factor against Cornell. How could they play outside to scrimmage when snow / brutal cold is such an issue? They have a multi-purpose indoor facility, but it isn't full 120 yards.

Don't know if it's true (entirely possible) but I heard Cornell had one practice on their field before the SU game and some of the guys were in boots (probably not true).

Moving the SU-Cornell game to later in the season would be massive for attendance, particularly when in Ithaca. I imagine a Saturday afternoon game in nice weather would draw 15-20k. That's probably more than Cornell gets for 5-6 early season games, unless it's SU.

Don't know if it's true (entirely possible) but I heard Cornell had one practice on their field before the SU game and some of the guys were in boots (probably not true).

Moving the SU-Cornell game to later in the season would be massive for attendance, particularly when in Ithaca. I imagine a Saturday afternoon game in nice weather would draw 15-20k. That's probably more than Cornell gets for 5-6 early season games, unless it's SU.

Ivy League rules ... they can't even begin practice until Feb 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom