A new Lydon thread... | Syracusefan.com

A new Lydon thread...

njcuse

Scout Team
I have seldom been as impressed as when I watched clips of this kid playing ball. It wasn't the shots falling; every highlight film shows the shots falling. It was the way he moved and how he understood the game. I am betting he is the real deal. He may be a bit thin at this point, but I don't think he is weak. Plus he has a summer to bulk up a bit. I believe SU will be very thankful they brought this young man into the program.

I am hoping for one of those seasons where things just line up right and we are much better than most expect. I know there are still a lot of question marks but I think the pieces are in place for that type of season. Plus we are due, since Ennis made that bomb to beat Pitt it seems like everything that could happen or go wrong for SU bball to struggle has happened. It just seems like of late the worm has turned. Tyler to me isn't a big question mark. He will be a productive player in whatever role he is given.

Can't wait to see him play. I'm very optimistic about '15/'16. An under the radar year with Silent G leading the charge as a senior. Echoes of '96 baby! (I dream.)

I think our biggest problem this season will be at center. You don't know how great a player is until he's gone. I remember after Scoop left then that was the moment when I really appreciated what he was bringing to the team. I think we are really going to miss Christmas.

I think our biggest problem this season will be at center. You don't know how great a player is until he's gone. I remember after Scoop left then that was the moment when I really appreciated what he was bringing to the team. I think we are really going to miss Christmas.

I started watching every SU during his senior season. I didn't appreciate him much then. And I still don't.

Last edited:
popcorn Colbert.gif

I am excited about Lydon, the rest of this class, and the next class coming in, I think we're building an absolute power and believe we'll be the squad we were the late 2000s and early 2010s (not saying we've been awful the past few years because we haven't).

I think Lydon has the capabilities of being a great player for us, even right out of the gate, but from what I've seen posted about him recently getting a little out of control, he's getting more hype going into this season than McCullough did coming in last year (queue in the 100 reasons why Lydon is way better than McCullough) but we've seen it time and time and time again where a guy comes in with expectations that are just becoming too much and almost impossible for him to fulfill. I think he will be good and be a very strong player for us but it's almost to the point where we're putting too high of expectations on a guy who hasn't played a minute for us and we really don't know how his game will translate to our level, nevermind the fact that if he doesn't pick up the zone he would be regulated to the bench with G and Roberson manning the 4/5 being upper class players.

At the end of the day Richardson is the gem of the class, there was a reason why Richardson was recruited by powers across the country, a MDAA, and a top 25 recruit, it's not fair to put Lydon ahead of him which seems to be happening when either one hasn't played a minute of college ball.

I have seldom been as impressed as when I watched clips of this kid playing ball. It wasn't the shots falling; every highlight film shows the shots falling. It was the way he moved and how he understood the game..
Totally agree.
As I've posted a while back, Tyler Lydon looks like he'll ultimately be the best player of our newcomers.
At the risk of going out on a limb: a combination of Louis Orr and Leo Rautins.
He has Louie's build, moves like Leo and shoots like both of them.
Also Leo's court sense.
And that's pretty good to say the least.

Totally agree.
As I've posted a while back, Tyler Lydon looks like he'll ultimately be the best player of our newcomers.
At the risk of going out on a limb: a combination of Louis Orr and Leo Rautins.
He has Louie's build, moves like Leo and shoots like both of them.
Also Leo's court sense.
And that's pretty good to say the least.
Louie Rautins!

At the end of the day Richardson is the gem of the class, there was a reason why Richardson was recruited by powers across the country, a MDAA, and a top 25 recruit, it's not fair to put Lydon ahead of him which seems to be happening when either one hasn't played a minute of college ball.
Its funny nhw perceptions can change after a couple poor performances in glorified pickup games with the best players in the class. Vs decent performances against strong regional players. I love Lydon but Richardson is goign to be the player we were missing the past couple of years. I think both will play alot.

I posted this before reading the "Boeheim Army" article and thread. Not surprised and I give a lot of credence to the statements by Devo, TRob and Baye. Also as a quick sidenote...Im tired of all the "skinny" talk about Lydon. No doubt strength helps but there have been A LOT of really skinny players excel in college besides our own. Reggie Williams, Kevin Durant, Jon Schreyer, Mike Dunleavy are just a few that were not only good but GREAT college players (ok maybe Schreyer was just good!?). Not saying being stronger wont help him bit he can contribute before he gets strong if he's skilled enough.

Last edited:
Its funny nhw perceptions can change after a couple poor performances in glorified pickup games with the best players in the class. Vs decent performances against strong regional players. I love Lydon but Richardson is goign to be the player we were missing the past couple of years. I think both will play alot.

I posted this before reading the "Boeheim Army" article and thread. Not surprised and I give a lot of credence to the statements by Devo, TRob and Baye. Also as a quick sidenote...Im tired of all the "skinny" talk about Lydon. No doubt strength helps but there have been A LOT of really skinny players excel in college besides our own. Reggie Williams, Kevin Durant, Jon Schreyer, Mike Dunleavy are just a few that were not only good but GREAT college players (ok maybe Schreyer was just good!?). Not saying being stronger wont help him bit he can contribute before he gets strong if he's skilled enough.

The bulk looks great but strength training in the weight room is also important.

"The Size-Strength Continuum

In simple terms, strength is about increasing force production. Size, on the other hand, is about getting a pump and creating microscopic damage to the muscle, which then causes it to repair and grow larger. This is hypertrophy in a nutshell.

The general rule of thumb when training for strength is that the reps should be low and the resistance load should be high. Also, true low-rep strength work is primarily neuromuscular. If you think of your body as a computer, strength training is more about upgrading your software, which is your central nervous system (CNS), than it is about the hardware—your muscles. Strength training is about teaching your CNS how to bring more muscle into the game; or to increase motor unit recruitment. "

With the bigger players, I think I would like to see them do more low impact exercises that strengthen their knee ligaments. My thinking is this would prevent knee injuries. It's just simple physics. You take the weight of the upper body torso and torque the knees and boom knee injury. Rather than having 18" biceps protecting the knees is more important in my opinion. The upper body bulk looks impressive but all that extra upper body weight will stress the knees in my opinion.

I started watching every SU during his senior season. I didn't appreciate him much then. And I still don't.

If you can't appreciate the story surrounding Christmas you should not be an Orange fan. What he did was truly remarkable. I've never seen a player graduate in 3 years before. And then he had a terrific senior season. If it were not for Christmas, last season would have been beyond dismal. By my estimate without Christmas we would have been 11-20 or worse.

Playing the center of the zone is not easy. It probably takes the longest to learn to do it properly. I am very concerned that we will not have a strong center in the 2-3 zone this seasons. It's still very unclear if DC's knees will hold up. Obokoh did not seem ready last season. Diagne will need time to learn the nuances of player center in the 2-3 zone. We will sorely miss Christmas's leadership in that position.

Everyone was always down on Scoop all the time. But after he was gone there was a huge hole to fill. I'm not sure it's ever been filled since. Triche did great but after he left the hole was bigger. To have national championship caliber team you need strong leadership. Especially from the PG position. The school who's name should not be spoken has several more national championships won mainly with strong PG leadership. I think that's something we need to cultivate in order to achieve a second NC.

Last edited:
If you can't appreciate the story surrounding Christmas you should not be an Orange fan. What he did was truly remarkable. I've never seen a player graduate in 3 years before. And then he had a terrific senior season. If it were not for Christmas, last season would have been beyond dismal. By my estimate without Christmas we would have been 11-20 or worse.

Playing the center of the zone is not easy. It probably takes the longest to learn to do it properly. I am very concerned that we will not have a strong center in the 2-3 zone this seasons. It's still very unclear if DC's knees will hold up. Obokoh did not seem ready last season. Diagne will need time to learn the nuances of player center in the 2-3 zone. We will sorely miss Christmas's leadership in that position.

Everyone was always down on Scoop all the time. But after he was gone there was a huge hole to fill. I'm not sure it's ever been filled since. Triche did great but after he left the hole was bigger. To have national championship caliber team you need strong leadership. Especially from the PG position. The school who's name should not be spoken has several more national championships won mainly with strong PG leadership. I think that's something we need to cultivate in order to achieve a second NC.

I wasn't talking about Christmas at all. Only Scoop Jardine. I didn't say I Scoop was a bad player, just that I didn't appreciate him. And also I would say the PG position has been filled twice now. MCW and Tyler Ennis both filled the positions greatly. They just didn't fill it longer then a year a piece.

I wasn't talking about Christmas at all. Only Scoop Jardine. I didn't say I Scoop was a bad player, just that I didn't appreciate him. And also I would say the PG position has been filled twice now. MCW and Tyler Ennis both filled the positions greatly. They just didn't fill it longer then a year a piece.

I'm not arguing with you. I am just saying many times during the season you don't know how much a player is contributing until they are gone. I believe that will be the case this season when we do not have Christmas.

Well we had two legit title contenders while Scoop was here, and his senior year we lost all of one game in the regular season, but I'm sure that was a coincidence.

Well we had two legit title contenders while Scoop was here, and his senior year we lost all of one game in the regular season, but I'm sure that was a coincidence.
Show some Love for the Scoop

In fact, give me two Scoops

Let's check his numbers

Shooting 50% 36%
Scoring 18 ppg (for 40 minutes)
Asst to TO 2+
Team wins 119-26 (82%)

on the downside,
his FT shooting declined each year 82%, 75%,66%, 55%
he sometimes tried too hard for the big play

www DOT sports-reference DOT com/cbb/players/scoop-jardine-1 DOT html

www DOT sports-reference DOT com/cbb/schools/syracuse/

Sorry for the bastardized URLs...but you know the deal

Last edited:

I remember during the Scoop's career there was a lot of moaning about his play. And I have to admit I was in that camp. But man, how much did I miss that guy after he was gone!

I remember during the Scoop's career there was a lot of moaning about his play. And I have to admit I was in that camp. But man, how much did I miss that guy after he was gone!

Same with Brandon Triche. I would have killed for a Triche last season.

Same with Brandon Triche. I would have killed for a Triche last season.

Absolutely the same thing with Triche. Man, did I miss that kid too!!!

I'm in the same camp as Dave85, was hard on Scoop (except his senior year) and Triche as well, but they are two guy that would have made last years team go from mediocre to one of the top teams in the ACC last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom