Aaron Rodgers is legend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Aaron Rodgers is legend

Ehh. I'm aware at what they are, but do you think he played well at Arizona, Seattle or San Fran the last three years? People used to kill Peyton Manning when he didn't win in January. I just think if he's that good he should have more Super Bowls. Don't give me stats, show me how you played in crunch time against some of the best teams.

If you want to pick apart every individual game of each QB under consideration, more power to you. They've all had relatively poor games in the playoffs. Rodgers has just had fewer of those and more good games.

If you want to pick apart every individual game of each QB under consideration, more power to you. They've all had relatively poor games in the playoffs. Rodgers has just had fewer of those and more good games.

Fair enough. I'm playing devils advocate. He's had some games he's been incredible. I'm not debating that. Comparing him to Brady and Montana isn't exactly a 1 to 1 comparison because all of his stats are compiled 100% in a pass friendly era. Not sure I'd take Rodgers over Montana, Brady, and even Eli Manning in a two minute drill when he's behind, but that's me. That's why we debate this stuff.

Fair enough. I'm playing devils advocate. He's had some games he's been incredible. I'm not debating that. Comparing him to Brady and Montana isn't exactly a 1 to 1 comparison because all of his stats are compiled 100% in a pass friendly era. Not sure I'd take Rodgers over Montana, Brady, and even Eli Manning in a two minute drill when he's behind, but that's me. That's why we debate this stuff.

From what I remember, Montana had some stout defenses on his squad as well.

From what I remember, Montana had some stout defenses on his squad as well.

I went and looked this up. The Packers have had 3 seasons in Rodgers career where his defense was ranked in the bottom half of the league. This year, 2013, and 2011. Their defenses haven't been as bad as you think.

Edit: I will add that San Fran was certainly dominant on D during Montanas time there and even into Young's years. We probably will never see that again because of the cap.

Last edited:
I went and looked this up. The Packers have had 3 seasons in Rodgers career where his defense was ranked in the bottom half of the league. This year, 2013, and 2011. Their defenses haven't been as bad as you think.

Edit: I will add that San Fran was certainly dominant on D during Montanas time there and even into Young's years. We probably will never see that again because of the cap.

Just asking, but were the other years in the top half then? I'm assuming that's the case.

Aaron Rodgers should get credit for the fact he has carried that roster to the NFC title game. The secondary of Green Bay might be the worst from an NFL team ever to advance this far.

He is the best QB right now in the NFL because he is in his prime.
He has the arm strength of Favre.
Quick release of Marino/Brees
Athleticism of Russell Wilson.
Intelligence of Brady/Manning.
All around package of Elway.

He is the closest any QB will come to perfect lab experiment for a QB.
His passing on the run is what has been the killer this run.

He still needs rings to get into the GOAT discussion.
You need atleast 2 IMO to be the GOAT.
My current top 5 no order
Brady, Elway, Manning, Montana, Staubach.
Rodgers easily could enter the top 5.

Aaron Rodgers should get credit for the fact he has carried that roster to the NFC title game. The secondary of Green Bay might be the worst from an NFL team ever to advance this far.

He is the best QB right now in the NFL because he is in his prime.
He has the arm strength of Favre.
Quick release of Marino/Brees
Athleticism of Russell Wilson.
Intelligence of Brady/Manning.
All around package of Elway.

He is the closest any QB will come to perfect lab experiment for a QB.
His passing on the run is what has been the killer this run.

He still needs rings to get into the GOAT discussion.
You need atleast 2 IMO to be the GOAT.
My current top 5 no order
Brady, Elway, Manning, Montana, Staubach.
Rodgers easily could enter the top 5.

No order my butt. Your tommy terrific love is shining through.

His stats in the playoffs are like, by far, the best in NFL history.

Tom Brady: 257 YPG, 58 TDs, 30 INTs, 6.8 YPA, 87.4 passer rating
Joe Montana: 251 YPG, 45 TDs, 21 INTs, 7.9 YPA, 95.6 passer rating
Aaron Rodgers: 261 YPG, 33 TDs, 9 INTs, 7.6 YPA, 100.1 passer rating
Unfair to compare QB stats across eras though. Rules have changed too much. Strategy has too. Joe would torch this league

Ehh. I'm aware at what they are, but do you think he played well at Arizona, Seattle or San Fran the last three years? People used to kill Peyton Manning when he didn't win in January. I just think if he's that good he should have more Super Bowls. Don't give me stats, show me how you played in crunch time against some of the best teams.

Ok the Seattle game he drove the team down the field with less than a minute left for the game tying field goal after the defense/special teams absolutely collapsed. Never saw the ball in OT.

Against Arizona he was missing his top 3 wide receivers. He was missing his top 3 wide receivers. Top. 3. Wide. Receivers. Then he drove down the field for the game tying touchdown with less than a minute left. Never saw the ball in OT.

Nothing clutch in the SF game though I'll give you that.

Joe Montana has some great post season stats and results. But they did play in an era with no salary cap soooo...

Brett Favre was doing this stuff when he won 3 MVPs in a row. Favre would just throw a soul crushing INT.
Rodgers is on a roll now but this is his 3rd NFC championship game in his career. That is nothing.
Come on Alsacs, say what you real say

Aaron Rodgers, after beating the Giants last week, tied Eli in playoff wins at Lambeau.

Aaron Rodgers, after beating the Giants last week, tied Eli in playoff wins at Lambeau.
Meaning what? You don't really believe Eli is as good as Rodgers, do you?

Meaning what? You don't really believe Eli is as good as Rodgers, do you?
Even most Giants fans know Eli is the bar for HOF status.
He is the line you have to clear. Eli has never been first or second all pro.
Eli has never gotten a vote for regular season MVP.
He has had 2 fourth quarter SB drives which make him a HOF.
However his career isn't even in the neighborhood of the discussion for all time great.

However his career isn't even in the neighborhood of the discussion for all time great.

When the Giants drafted Eli, my insane hope was 2 rings. Well he got those. And if they load up a little more there is room in the next 3 years to contest for a third. All the other stuff , who cares.

poppycock

Yes it is.

When all is said and done he will be top 6 in the every worthwhile statistical category and have at least 2 rings.

The HOF is based on 2 things, stats and/or hardware.

He's got them both.

And dash, that was just a fun fact to annoy those in the Rodgers bj line.

His record is similar to Coughlin's, who was 110-93 with the Giants, including 8-3 in the Playoffs. He was 8-0 in the Super Bowl years and 0-3 in the other three years they made the playoffs. with teams that had gone 10-6 and 9-7 during the regular season. Both were good, not great but will be remembered for two great runs and two great upsets over the Patriots.

Eli is an interesting case because he's always been around the 10-15 range of QBs, which suggests he's not close to the HOF, but he's been doing it so long now and of course has the two rings, so he'll likely end up getting in. The volume of his stats are impressive, but taken on a year-by-year basis/looking at his peak, he's just a pretty good QB. That's not to say he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame; it just depends on what you value in a Hall of Fame candidate.

Eli is an interesting case because he's always been around the 10-15 range of QBs, which suggests he's not close to the HOF, but he's been doing it so long now and of course has the two rings, so he'll likely end up getting in. The volume of his stats are impressive, but taken on a year-by-year basis/looking at his peak, he's just a pretty good QB. That's not to say he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame; it just depends on what you value in a Hall of Fame candidate.
This is how I see it. He is getting in because of the 2 SBs. However his season by season performance have never been the elite at his position.

Somebody like Kurt Warner played shorter career but his play in those seasons was way higher at the position than Eli's best.
Warner won a MVP, has finished top 5 multiple times. Was an all-pro first or second team multiple times.
He won a SB, and lost 2 other SBs.

Warner doesn't have the stats of Eli but Warner hasn't gotten in the HOF. The 2 SBs, stats and NY media factor will get Eli in.

Every NFL thread eventually turns into is Eli a HOFer
I think every single post here should end that way.

Eli is a HOFer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom