ACC Announces Championship Sites for 2015-16 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Announces Championship Sites for 2015-16

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Kennesaw State in Atlanta will be the site of the ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championship on April 29-May 1. The ACC Women’s Lacrosse Championship is scheduled for Virginia Tech on April 28-May 1.

Patrick Stevens ‏@D1scourse
ACC men's lacrosse tournament next season will be played in ... Atlanta. Well, technically, Kennesaw, Ga.

With only five men's lacrosse teams, ACC's going to be hard-pressed to go back to campus sites. What happens when host school is also No. 5?

ACC men's lacrosse tournament's history with neutral sites: Orlando (2001), Philly suburbs (2014 & 2015), Atlanta suburbs (2016).

Strange location since none of the ACC schools near Atlanta play lax.

Well, we have played there the last two seasons, so we should have home field advantage

I wonder who the ACC will get to play in the 5th place game?

I wonder who the ACC will get to play in the 5th place game?

Probably Kennesaw State. They can't be any worse at lacrosse as they were in basketball.

2016 ACC Men's Lacrosse Championship comes to Fifth Third Bank Stadium (LB3)

The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), in conjunction with the Atlanta Sports Council (ASC), Kennesaw State Sports and Entertainment Park and LB3 Lacrosse, have announced that Fifth Third Bank Stadium will be home to the 2016 ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championship. This marks the first time the ACC Championship will take place in metro Atlanta and the sixth time in the event’s 28-year history that it will be held at a neutral site.

“The last two NCAA Division I Lacrosse titles belong to an ACC team – we are very excited to have the nation’s strongest lacrosse conference bring their championship to metro Atlanta,” said Dan Corso, executive director of Atlanta Sports Council. “We value our long-standing relationship with the ACC and look forward to working together again to host a first-class championship weekend.”

The 8,300-seat stadium is home to Kennesaw State University’s collegiate athletic programs competing in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Fifth Third Bank Stadium has a rich history hosting professional and collegiate lacrosse matchups, recently serving as a host to LB3 Lacrosse’s Cobb County Classic featuring Denver vs. Duke and Syracuse vs. St. Johns. Additionally, Major League Lacrosse (MLL) selected Fifth Third Bank Stadium as the site of the 2014 and 2015 MLL Championship.

“The ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championship is the perfect fit for our venue, the design of the stadium sets up very well for lacrosse and the ancillary event space outside the stadium provides for an overall great fan experience,” said Fifth Third Bank Stadium’s General Manger, Marty Elliott.

All five ACC teams (Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Virginia) will participate in the championship with the top four finishers from the regular season competing for the title. The four-team tournament will begin with the semifinals on Friday, April 29, and the championship game will be played on Sunday, May 1. The fifth-place team that does not qualify for the tournament will play a non-conference opponent to be named at a later date on Saturday, April 30 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium.

“Part of LB3's mission is to grow the game of lacrosse in the southeast and I feel that bringing the best conference tournament in Division I Lacrosse to a rapidly growing lacrosse market, like Atlanta, will help inspire even more young children to pick up the game,” said Liam Banks, CEO of LB3 Lacrosse.

ACC lacrosse: Atlanta awarded 2016 league tournament (PS: Stevens)

-2b8792b4e1bd3fb0.JPG

This is fantastic for growing the sport. Lots of lacrosse being played in Georgia

…and Georgia Tech needs to get on board.

The Mercer Bears, alma mater of yours truly, from Macon, GA play Division 1 lacrosse - or attempt to.
The thing is, I think the ACC will want (if at all possible) to get a team that could be viewed as a Top 20/Top 10-type win, as the ACCT is for all the participating teams.

The thing is, I think the ACC will want (if at all possible) to get a team that could be viewed as a Top 20/Top 10-type win, as the ACCT is for all the participating teams.

Yeah that pretty much rules my Bears out. We finished 5-8 this year. We lost to Duke 16-6. Oddly enough, that game was at Mercer. I wouldn't have figured a program of that caliber would go to Mercer.

Yeah that pretty much rules my Bears out. We finished 5-8 this year. We lost to Duke 16-6. Oddly enough, that game was at Mercer. I wouldn't have figured a program of that caliber would go to Mercer.
The ACC has been really good about going to play away games at schools people wouldn't expect. We had a disastrous trip to USAFA and Denver (before their hired Tierney) in 2004; I believe UNC went out there in 2005. We played at Richmond for their first D-1 game last year.

I'd invite someone like Army or Navy to play...assuming it doesn't interfere with their Patriot League Tourney.

We could ask Mercer to throttle Rutgizz in the preliminary to the 5th place game just for sh!ts n giggles.

Well, we have played there the last two seasons, so we should have home field advantage
As I reported a while back, Syracuse will be playing a regular season game there again next year.

It's a nice venue... not as nice as this year's ACC Championship venue, but nice enough. Be sure to sit on the stadium/dugout side or roast in the sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom