ACC Distribution Going Up | Syracusefan.com

ACC Distribution Going Up

hallcity

Walk On
From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"Some details on the Georgia Tech Athletic Association budget ...

"The distribution from the ACC increased by 32 percent, from $17.9 million to $23.6 million. The distribution largely comes from ESPN, and the boost is a result of the ACC’s renegotiated contract with the network after the addition of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the grant of rights and the upcoming college football playoff. (According to the budget notes, the playoff agreement is worth $3 million in new revenue and the additions to the ACC were worth $2.5 in additional revenue.)

"The distribution is expected to increase by roughly $1 million annually, except in years when the Orange Bowl hosts the national championship game. It will increase an additional $1 million in the following year."

No, I don't know exactly what that last paragraph means but the $23.6 million figure is almost $3 million higher than anything we've heard previously and the $1 million a year increase is certainly new.

"The distribution from the ACC increased by 32 percent, from $17.9 million to $23.6 million. The distribution largely comes from ESPN, and the boost is a result of the ACC’s renegotiated contract with the network after the addition of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the grant of rights and the upcoming college football playoff. (According to the budget notes, the playoff agreement is worth $3 million in new revenue and the additions to the ACC were worth $2.5 in additional revenue.)

"The distribution is expected to increase by roughly $1 million annually, except in years when the Orange Bowl hosts the national championship game. It will increase an additional $1 million in the following year."

No, I don't know exactly what that last paragraph means but the $23.6 million figure is almost $3 million higher than anything we've heard previously and the $1 million a year increase is certainly new.

Not sure that this is great news. Most of the other conferences are projecting $26 to $30 million conference payouts for 14-15, the first year of the playoff system. Orange Bowl deal is going to hurt the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Not sure that this is great news. Most of the other conferences are projecting $26 to $30 million conference payouts for 14-15, the first year of the playoff system. Orange Bowl deal is going to hurt the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

B1G is projecting 44.5 million for everyone but MD and Rutgers

We are talking about 2014-15 sd.

For 2017-18, you are correct (though I see increasing talk that the B1G numbers that far into the future are really optimistic).

The real number for 2014-15, according to the B1G anyway, is $30.9.

While the $44.5 million payoff is still four years away, don't worry, Big Ten schools won't go broke before then. The conference projects that 11 -- Nebraska doesn't get its full share until 2017-18 -- schools will pull in $27 million this year, $30.9 million in 2014-15, $34.1 million in 2015-16 and $35.5 million in 2016-17.

Link

By the way, I'm not sure I completely believe anyone's numbers including the ones I posted. Still I doubt that the ACC is at much of a disadvantage except versus the B1G.

would be meaningful if you had a chance to get in to the B1G. But you don't.

Cheers,
Neil
not everything is relative. that's still a lot of money to build stuff we need.

That's for after the new TV contract is done for 2016 and beyond. It's an exaggeration even then. But they will be at the top for sure.

Cheers,
Neil

would be meaningful if you had a chance to get in to the B1G. But you don't.

Or if SU competes against B1G teams, its relevant. Or if you follow college sports at all.

Or if SU competes against B1G teams, its relevant. Or if you follow college sports at all.
The $$ difference isn't as great as you might think. And the gap will close a little more quite soon. Let me know when you post the next thing that you think is positive for Syracuse.

For SU as a private institution, the school will realize the full benefit of the marginal increase. UMd and Rutty as subsidized public institutions won't. The state will just trade those dollars for dollars they don't have to provide from the state treasury.

That is such a huge injection of cash.

GoSU96 said:
For SU as a private institution, the school will realize the full benefit of the marginal increase. UMd and Rutty as subsidized public institutions won't. The state will just trade those dollars for dollars they don't have to provide from the state treasury. That is such a huge injection of cash.

I wonder how many, especially rutgirls fans, understand that. They've been in such rough shape they always get an infusion from the state. So while SU is taking the payout to the bank, rutgirls is just reducing how much they have to steal from their taxpayers. Won't be a net positive for them.

For SU as a private institution, the school will realize the full benefit of the marginal increase. UMd and Rutty as subsidized public institutions won't. The state will just trade those dollars for dollars they don't have to provide from the state treasury.

That is such a huge injection of cash.

Hmmm. Hadnt thought of that. It's a good point really. There are so many nuances to all the various deals and different situations at each school it really is hard to get the full picture. I go back to to just looking at revenue. It is really the only clean number for comparison.

Uh, uh, uh, he said "Orange" bowl.

Attachments

• BB_01.jpg
    BB_01.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89